Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-27-2017, 06:21 AM   #1

Enthusiastic Newbies looking for help!

My husband and I recently bought a 2003 Jayco Jay Feather EXP 254. The previous owners had told us that there was a “soft” spot in the floor, just inside the kitchen door, and reduced the price. My husband does renos and felt he could handle it. He tore the floor up from the door to the area in front of the sink and under the bench seat just inside the door. An area about 15 sq feet. The joists were rotted and there was water laying on top of the vapour barrier. He removed all the rotten wood and dried the area out. We've had a lot of rain over the past few days and the water hasn't returned. We can see a copper pipe in the back of the cupboard under the stove, to the left of the sink, that seems to go to the floor but not sure where after that. We're not sure if the leak is coming from the pipe we can see, a pipe we can't see or is coming in from the outside. There is also an opening around the awning bracket but not really big. We also know that the trailer was winterized in the spring and wasn't used this past summer. I'm attaching a photo that shows the affected area. Does anyone have any advice? We love the trailer and can't wait to use it. Click image for larger version

Name:	322E6B1C-3457-4BA7-B830-E1FE1A295295.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	35558
Kimjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:35 AM   #2

Check for window leaks, marker lights, roof vents, any opening that has something sticking out like a furnace, hot water tank, needs to be checked and sealed if needed every year. Use dicor non sag on the sidewall stuff, and use dicor self leveling on the roof. Also can use etarnbond tape for roof seams.

Copper pipe is likely a gas line to an appliance
Old 10-27-2017, 12:22 PM   #3

If it is interior connect to city water and get under there with a light. You may also need a mirror or even purchasing an endoscope (a little tv camera that connects to a laptop or tablet.)

Got mine on Amazon, may be better deals or models out there.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Before you do that redo the sealant around everything, no matter how good it looks, and test with water after it is fully cured. Lots of water for several minutes at each spot.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote