Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2019, 03:18 PM   #201
RPR

Think the engine builders are so smart they have already figured how to get around engine rule so speed is not reduce as much as NASCAR thinks it will. Heard one idea. Line them up, raise the hood and disconnect two plug wires!
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:56 PM   #202

I hope Johnsons friggin happy!!
Old 02-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #203

I bet he don't finish the 500 now
Old 02-10-2019, 04:13 PM   #204

Doesn't even bother him he took out 2/3 of the field
Old 02-10-2019, 05:28 PM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
Doesn't even bother him he took out 2/3 of the field
Did you feel the same way when DH or several others did the same thing on the last lap of a race last year or is it just a "don't like the 48" thing? Bad driving?? Overly aggressive driving?? Just racing?

When something happens up front at a plate race, its going to break things. The way this race was going, everyone knew this was going to happen near the end. With the rain a few minutes away, the end came early and the 21 should have been ready for the move. In a way, he was helpless to stop it other than throw a block and the end result would have most likely ended up wrecking the field. I'm not a stats man but maybe someone can check how many plate races and even several 1 1/2 mile races have ended with the leader getting wrecked and a bunch of other cars wrecked.

When someone wins this way, no body likes it but it seems like its pretty common. Some have been pretty obviously outside the "just a racing" incident and nothing ever happens to the offender.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:53 PM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Did you feel the same way when DH or several others did the same thing on the last lap of a race last year or is it just a "don't like the 48" thing? Bad driving?? Overly aggressive driving?? Just racing?

When something happens up front at a plate race, its going to break things. The way this race was going, everyone knew this was going to happen near the end. With the rain a few minutes away, the end came early and the 21 should have been ready for the move. In a way, he was helpless to stop it other than throw a block and the end result would have most likely ended up wrecking the field. I'm not a stats man but maybe someone can check how many plate races and even several 1 1/2 mile races have ended with the leader getting wrecked and a bunch of other cars wrecked.

When someone wins this way, no body likes it but it seems like its pretty common. Some have been pretty obviously outside the "just a racing" incident and nothing ever happens to the offender.
I didn't like it when Austin deliberately and admitted to takin Almirola out to win last July either. It has nothin to do with my ever growing dislike for Johnson.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:52 PM   #207
Site Team

Headline over on NASCAR.com Johnson "I don't crash people to win"......

https://www.nascar.com/video/franchi...people-to-win/
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:12 PM   #208

Quote:
I didn't like it when Austin deliberately and admitted to takin Almirola out to win last July either. It has nothin to do with my ever growing dislike for Johnson.
We're kind of on the same page on this, but it is a fine line between aggressive racing that everyone says they want to see and what many see when their guy gets wrecked. I didn't see todays incident as going over the line. If nascar is going to allow blocking then forcing a pass is the only way to "not" accept finishing 2nd. I don't think the 21 was blocking but with the parody of power/speed in plate cars its pretty much impossible to pass with out help or by side drafting that seems to wreck the other guy about half the time.

I don't like ending races this way but whats the answer other than eliminating plate racing?
Old 02-10-2019, 07:18 PM   #209
RPR

The two drivers are the only ones that really know what took place. And driver mentality prevents them “from being wrong”!
Old 02-10-2019, 07:41 PM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
The two drivers are the only ones that really know what took place. And driver mentality prevents them “from being wrong”!
It boils down to the statement "they don't pay me to finish 2nd". If you're there with a chance for a win, every driver except old Mark Martin are going to do what they need to do. That's why I think Mark still holds the record for 2nd place finishes. Chase E started out without the killer instinct but late last year got fed up with being the bridesmaid. Once he figured that out he started winning races.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:15 PM   #211
RPR

Car owner on the old All Pro latemodel series once said, I do not have a problem with my driver wrecking my car going for the win. I do have a problem him wrecking when he is not.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:01 AM   #212

Quote:
We're kind of on the same page on this, but it is a fine line between aggressive racing that everyone says they want to see and what many see when their guy gets wrecked. I didn't see todays incident as going over the line. If nascar is going to allow blocking then forcing a pass is the only way to "not" accept finishing 2nd. I don't think the 21 was blocking but with the parody of power/speed in plate cars its pretty much impossible to pass with out help or by side drafting that seems to wreck the other guy about half the time.

I don't like ending races this way but whats the answer other than eliminating plate racing?
To be clear Menard isn't my driver either so that's not it either. How did 3 cars pass Jamie Mac and not wreck him? How did Menard get passed earlier amd make a pass for the lead without wrecking anyone. Nobody is paid to finish 2nd however they know what they are doin when they go to make a pass.
But today is another an I'm over it. Like always a day after I'm movin on. What's done is done. He got a win an over $2M worth of cars are headed to the scrap yard. The shops have to deal with it now
Old 02-11-2019, 06:10 AM   #213
Site Team

I'm trying to think back to the last plate race Johnson didn't wreck out of or cause an accident.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #214
RPR

Woodworker, Don’t get over it too much. Being free to express our feelings and passion for the sport is something I hope we all never lose.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:51 PM   #215

Quote:
To be clear Menard isn't my driver either so that's not it either. How did 3 cars pass Jamie Mac and not wreck him? How did Menard get passed earlier amd make a pass for the lead without wrecking anyone. Nobody is paid to finish 2nd however they know what they are doin when they go to make a pass.
But today is another an I'm over it. Like always a day after I'm movin on. What's done is done. He got a win an over $2M worth of cars are headed to the scrap yard. The shops have to deal with it now
Just have 2 points to make on the finish. 1]It was a sloppy move for a 7 time champ to screw up. 2] Whether for the win or 5 or 7th, the aggression at the end of any plate race can easily trigger the big one. If anyone saw some of the promo clips leading up to the clash, they might remember the comment by the 18. Something about all bets are off when they reach the final 20 laps. Jimmy rightfully should be called out for his recent last lap moves. Last year he divebombed Truex at the end of the race at the roval and both wrecked out.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:30 PM   #216
Site Team

Quote:
Just have 2 points to make on the finish. 1]It was a sloppy move for a 7 time champ to screw up. 2] Whether for the win or 5 or 7th, the aggression at the end of any plate race can easily trigger the big one. If anyone saw some of the promo clips leading up to the clash, they might remember the comment by the 18. Something about all bets are off when they reach the final 20 laps. Jimmy rightfully should be called out for his recent last lap moves. Last year he divebombed Truex at the end of the race at the roval and both wrecked out.
We had a lot of discussion last year when Logano moved Truex at Martinsville. Looking back on it now, Logano made the move to win the race with aggressive driving. It wasn't dirty, didn't effect anyone except the two guys racing for the win, and he didn't destroy a dozen cars in the process. I wish I wouldn't have been critical of Logano at that time. It turns out that his move was classy compared to Johnson's.

I'm not going to hide my dislike for Johnson. His move yesterday and the one last season at Charlotte, were moves of a desperate has been and not a 7 time champion. He needs to hang it up and go in the booth with Gordon.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:16 PM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
We had a lot of discussion last year when Logano moved Truex at Martinsville. Looking back on it now, Logano made the move to win the race with aggressive driving. It wasn't dirty, didn't effect anyone except the two guys racing for the win, and he didn't destroy a dozen cars in the process. I wish I wouldn't have been critical of Logano at that time. It turns out that his move was classy compared to Johnson's.

I'm not going to hide my dislike for Johnson. His move yesterday and the one last season at Charlotte, were moves of a desperate has been and not a 7 time champion. He needs to hang it up and go in the booth with Gordon.
There is no right situation to go for the win. The one constant is that you are likely going to be in the front of the field and or behind the winner. In a plate race that is pretty much guaranteed. Its not about disliking the 48 or the 11 or the 22 or any #, but maybe it is. If your guy is on the crashed side, either in the lead or the pack, its going to be a dumb move and if its by the 48 its going to be a stupid move by a washed up has been. I'm the same way and don't care for the winer DH 11 and over the years a few others and didn't care for their stupid driving either. Now I don't know. Do you want to see them drive around in a single file or do you want to see some racing?

Did I just read it right that they won't be running restricter plates at the plate tracks for the rest of the year?
Old 02-11-2019, 05:24 PM   #218
Site Team

Quote:

Did I just read it right that they won't be running restricter plates at the plate tracks for the rest of the year?
Here's the announcement from NASCAR.com

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/20...ton-talladega/

Old 02-11-2019, 07:23 PM   #219

Restrictor plate, tapered spacer, different names for what is essentially the same device, it restricts air flow into the engine thereby limiting power. This rule change is a distinction without a difference. The tapered spacer may have an ever so slightly better power curve due to less disturbance of the airflow but it wouldn't be appreciable. Just more nibbling around the edges from NASCAR.

The article also says that speed will be limited by additional down force. Poppycock, what limits the speed is the areo drag created by the spoiler etc. not the down force. On most tracks besides Daytona and Talladega down force is a desirable thing as it allows the cars to corner better.
Johnny Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:27 PM   #220
Site Team

How did the ARCA race go for you all?