Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2019, 09:49 PM   #1
Site Team

A long time coming!

I just have to blurb this out. Since breaking my back 19 months ago, the Goldwing has sat covered up in the garage.....waiting.

Well, today I couldn't wait any more. The cover came off, battery went in, and fired her up! (Those that do or have ridden, know what I mean).

I took her for a ride, albeit short, to see if I could really handle the weight. I was a little apprehensive after all this time, and the DW was a combination of a nervous, furious wreck. The ride went well, the Wing is happy again, and all that's left is the decision to trike it, or trade it for one.

I just had to say, I'm "back in the saddle again!" Thanks, everybody, for listening.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Hey, congratulations on getting back on the bike. There is nothing better than being able to get back to normal again after an injury.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:01 PM   #3
Site Team

You got that right! I just couldn't let it sit in the garage any more. It was too long as it was.

It's the 8th bike I've owned, and I/we've taken some pretty long trips over the years, and miss it dearly. But we also really love camping. So in recent years, it's been 75 to 100 mile day excursions, close by. Just to keep the blood flowing.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 08-05-2019, 05:29 AM   #4

Your desire to ride is what I have/had. I bought a 2014 Honda CB1100 Deluxe to do just that after owning a few smaller bikes. I just never got it out enough though to satisfy the desire after adopting three little ones out of the foster care system in my retirement. So, I sold it, upgraded from a pop up camper to a TT and we've been camping hard ever since. Good to hear your health allows you to hit the road again (in moderation, of course).

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:28 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Hey, congratulations on getting back on the bike. There is nothing better than being able to get back to normal again after an injury.
Thanks so much!. I just wish I could heal up like I was 20 again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateboy View Post
Your desire to ride is what I have/had. I bought a 2014 Honda CB1100 Deluxe to do just that after owning a few smaller bikes. I just never got it out enough though to satisfy the desire after adopting three little ones out of the foster care system in my retirement. So, I sold it, upgraded from a pop up camper to a TT and we've been camping hard ever since. Good to hear your health allows you to hit the road again (in moderation, of course).
It's something that gets in your blood. There was a time when I was "bikeless" for about 10 years, and I found myself frequently thinking about what I was missing. Then one day, I took a different route home from work, and saw a gentleman putting a Yamaha Venture Royale in his front yard. I turned around, and the rest is history. The bug was back! Ended up with the Wing, and the DW calls it a "Road Sofa".

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 08-05-2019, 07:32 AM   #6

Good for you! As someone who’s racked up a couple hundred thousand miles on wings, I get it! After hitting my 2nd deer a few years ago, DW couldn’t handle me riding any longer (she sold her BMW 1200c after I hit deer #1). So now it’s 4 wheels and “T” tops to enjoy the open feeling. I just couldn’t see doing the trike thing.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:08 AM   #7

Had twin boys last year. i rode 40 miles. the entire year!
This year, i have rode 100 miles 3 times and rode to work 3 times!
Any riding is good, and helps keep this dad happy!

Glad you are back in the saddle!
Old 08-05-2019, 08:21 AM   #8

That’s great. I miss riding. I went through a few BMW 1200RT’s, 1200GS and a few others all metric. Sold the last one to help fund my diesel purchase. Before this hobby I was riding about 10K miles a year. Good for you getting back to after recovering.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:21 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray75 View Post
Good for you! As someone who’s racked up a couple hundred thousand miles on wings, I get it! After hitting my 2nd deer a few years ago, DW couldn’t handle me riding any longer (she sold her BMW 1200c after I hit deer #1). So now it’s 4 wheels and “T” tops to enjoy the open feeling. I just couldn’t see doing the trike thing.
Yes, I find there's a LOT more deer lurking around here, compared to up north where we used to live. Heck, I've had them in my yard, and walking down the darn sidewalk! I had a few close calls with them, in the road, on the shoulder not knowing which way they were going to run. They're just too unpredictable. Maybe a nice vintage pickup truck to drive on Sundays would be in order.

I'm glad you survived the deer strikes. Holy cow, two of them!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 08-05-2019, 08:29 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Hauler View Post

Thanks. When I took it for a state inspection, the odo had 12 miles more on it since the last one! Yea, 6 miles each way to the inspection station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
That’s great. I miss riding. I went through a few BMW 1200RT’s, 1200GS and a few others all metric. Sold the last one to help fund my diesel purchase. Before this hobby I was riding about 10K miles a year. Good for you getting back to after recovering.
Thank you. I know I'll miss it too, if I sell it. But I find myself getting a little more leery as time goes on.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 08-05-2019, 08:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post

Thank you. I know I'll miss it too, if I sell it. But I find myself getting a little more leery as time goes on.

Very true on being leery. My wife actually told me I should go rent a bike to ride with some people she’d met. Three years ago, I’d have jumped at. But after being out of it for a bit, I’m a little nervous. Also, there was a time I felt I could handle any bike. From a Wing or Eglide down to sport bike. Now, not so much. It took me a year and half to stop looking at used bikes online.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:36 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Very true on being leery. My wife actually told me I should go rent a bike to ride with some people she’d met. Three years ago, I’d have jumped at. But after being out of it for a bit, I’m a little nervous. Also, there was a time I felt I could handle any bike. From a Wing or Eglide down to sport bike. Now, not so much. It took me a year and half to stop looking at used bikes online.
I think as we get older, our brain is telling us to quit while we're ahead, be sensible, and let the younger generation take risks. I see too many really stupid drivers lately, and they scare me more than anything else. It'll only take one unavoidable incident to ruin my day.

OK, I'm gonna sell it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 08-05-2019, 10:38 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
I think as we get older, our brain is telling us to quit while we're ahead, be sensible, and let the younger generation take risks. I see too many really stupid drivers lately, and they scare me more than anything else. It'll only take one unavoidable incident to ruin my day.

OK, I'm gonna sell it.
As I get closer to 50, I find as much thrill in riding a bike on our local bike trail. Good cardio exercise, controlled environment, beautiful scenery.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
As I get closer to 50, I find as much thrill in riding a bike on our local bike trail. Good cardio exercise, controlled environment, beautiful scenery.
X2. But even that isn’t without occasional risks. A good friend was riding a paved trail and had a squirrel run out at him. He swerved and ended up in the ER with a broken arm (the friend, not the squirrel.) Stay safe!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:01 AM   #15
Site Team

We have the Erie Canal going right thru town. Along side it is a great trail for biking/walking/winter cross country skiing. We've biked it a few times in the past, and really enjoyed it. I have a close friend that bikes it every day, to the tune of thousands of miles a year. He had a goose (with babies nearby) fly up and attack him on the way by, hit him in the shoulder, and knocked him off his bike! Only a bruise or two from the fall. The way he told it was hilarious!

I guess mishaps can happen anywhere you go!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 08-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #16

Congratulations on being on two wheels again. I’ve no plans to stop riding. My dad passed away three months shy of turning 91. The week before he went, he rode his to the bike shop for new tires. Hoping I can manage that!

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:29 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
Congratulations on being on two wheels again. I’ve no plans to stop riding. My dad passed away three months shy of turning 91. The week before he went, he rode his to the bike shop for new tires. Hoping I can manage that!
Thanks, Roamer.
It sounds like he was younger than his years, to still be riding at his age. I just hope to still be upright that long!

Enjoy the ride!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 08-05-2019, 04:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Hauler View Post

To be honest my DW doesn't ask me to do anything... except for when we had our twin boys. She did want me to sell my CB900F. I loved that bike. But I did sell it. She was ok with me keeping the dual sport so I still got to ride off-road.

I got my boys on dirt bikes at a very early age and they still love it today - and now they're just about 18!

I ran into some health challenges that stopped me from riding a few years back and I miss it quite a bit. The good news is things have turned in the right direction for me and I can see that I'll be out there riding again!

I must say that the current electric mountain bikes look very intriguing to me...

I guess my point to all of this rambling is to get out there and participate in your passion, be sensible/smart about it (as we age) and enjoy.

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:55 PM   #19

Oh and congratulations on your progress JFlightRisk!

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #20

I ride mine every day to work and longer rides on weekend or when I take it camping. I've not rode for two weeks due to some minor surgery and doc say's no riding for 8 to 10 weeks. I do miss it.