Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2018, 06:12 AM   #1

Cloudland Canyon State Park

Someone posted about camping at Cloudland State Park and I cannot find that post to ask this directly so hopefully who did post that sees this.
That park is only a couple hours from where we live an it looks like a really neat place to go see.
Question I have is can you see any of the views we saw pictures of without hiking 4+ miles? I found on a website that says one of the falls require a 4.9 mile hike and that won't work for us. I'd rather not plan a trip if we can't see any of the canyons etc. without walkin up 600 steps or hiking miles. I see they have fishing so that's a plus but we would like to see some views as well
Old 07-22-2018, 06:47 AM   #2
Site Team

I'm not the original poster but have been there.
Some of the most beautiful views can be seen with a few steps from your car in the parking lot. Lots of hiking but if you are limited there are still many scenic spots. Forget the stairs down to the waterfall unless you are a strong walker.

Across the canyon, on a public road is a spot where hang gliders launch that had a place that spectators could watch from a viewing stand. I'm not sure if it's still there. Also an airport down in the valley bottom can be seen from many locations with the towing planes leaving and hang gliders landing.

Last time we were there they had 2 cgs. We liked the rim cg best. They did not reserve specific sites then, some Ga sp's are going to a site specific system.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:58 AM   #3

I appreciate the info. We'll look into goin sometime soon........... I hope
Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I'm not the original poster but have been there.
Some of the most beautiful views can be seen with a few steps from your car in the parking lot. Lots of hiking but if you are limited there are still many scenic spots. Forget the stairs down to the waterfall unless you are a strong walker.

Across the canyon, on a public road is a spot where hang gliders launch that had a place that spectators could watch from a viewing stand. I'm not sure if it's still there. Also an airport down in the valley bottom can be seen from many locations with the towing planes leaving and hang gliders landing.

Last time we were there they had 2 cgs. We liked the West rim cg best. They did not reserve specific sites then, some Ga sp's are going to a site specific system.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
Site Team

Look at post #4 in this thread for some pictures of the park.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post667506
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:24 AM   #5

Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Look at post #4 in this thread for some pictures of the park.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post667506
Old 07-22-2018, 11:55 AM   #6

Agree with above and it is also a short drive to Lookout Mnt. To see a good view of the waterfalls you will need to hike. Less steps (same elevation change) but a longer hike from the west rim trails. Several great rim views less than 100 yard level walk from your car. There is a rim trail with minimal changes in elevation that is worth the effort. If you can the falls are worth the effort as well but just the rim views are worth the price of admission. The view from the hangglider port is also spectacular.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote