Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2017, 09:48 PM   #1

Glamping ???

Opinions are like armpits, everyone has them but some stink alot more than others.

So knowing I'm risking lots of comments (hopefully), I'm going to toss this one out there.

I view camping as being out in the forest/wilderness without the excessive comforts of home. No phone, cable, television, computer, internet, hot shower, laundry, dishwasher.......
Our camping weekends are loading the frig & freezer. Hot dogs, hamburgers, deli meats, lots of veggies & some fruit. A cooler full of soda & frozen water jugs.And of course lots of marshmallows, graham crackers & Chocolate bars for s'mores. We take our dirt bikes & 4wheelers. We take a bat & tennis ball with some soccer cones for a game of softball. We take games like Jenga and have "knock out" tournaments for the weekend Jenga champ.

I do miss tent camping, my back does not. However I'm not sure I could ever see myself in a full rig with all those added perks. I think that's fine for whatever fits your needs, but that's not for me. I do laugh at some posts on facebook about camping vs glamping vs roughing it. I am just thankful that my family loves camping as much as I do.
Farman Blends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:22 PM   #2

I still tent camp! I will guess this year I will have 15+ nights of tent camping, 10 nights in rustic cabins, only furniture in them is a couple folding tables and chairs. A small counter, with a two burner gas hot plate. No water, or other amenities. Glamping, I guess we have about 40 nights booked for this summer already. With a bunch more weekends just not planed yet.

We removed the tv from the camper. Computers stay home unless the DW or I have to work.

I call out htt, "The Whitehouse" and it is our portable cabin. We get a new lake, river, prairie every time we go out. Best part, no extra lawns to cut, brush to cut back, roofs and toilets to fix when we get to our destination point. All maintenance can be done at home. Our portable cabin, is about relaxing, and enjoying.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:34 AM   #3

I grew up tent camping and then my parents bought a Jayco 1208 pup in 1988 and we camped in that for years. When we bought our X23B my wife and I started to call it glamping but now I'm not so sure. Last weekend as we were setting up camp for the first time this year a beautiful 45 foot Allegro Bus pulled in to the site next to us. I walked by many times over the weekend and marveled at the size and eventually noticed the 6 external cameras as well as various other pieces of tech. I noticed when he left he had a power rewind on his electrical plug and looking online the thing even has a feature where it blows unused conditioned air on the ground outside the main door to keep that area dry. Now THAT is glamping!

2022 33RBTS
howlin4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #4

I saw something very similar to this pic rolling down the road on our way back home. Not trying judge, just trying to understand, How much stuff do you need to go "camping"?! If you need that much stuff, I think i'd just stay home. Again, i just want to understand. Maybe there is someone on here that rolls this way and can chime in with why they do it.
Attached Thumbnails
09-701-Motorhome-towing-a-utility-trailer-in-Quartzsite-Arizona.jpg  
Old 04-18-2017, 10:49 AM   #5

Glamping ???

The definition of camping refers to the temporary setup rather than the tent or RV aspect. The level of luxury and comfort isn't tied to the definition.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #6

We tent camped for 38+ years, then upgraded to a popup for two seasons, now we begin our 2017 camping season with a modest travel trailer. There was nothing wrong with tent camping, it satisfied our needs for decades. Upgrading to a popup was a distinct improvement by getting us off the ground and getting us better protected from the elements. We just upgraded to a TT because we want to minimize our setup time and want to enjoy having the overwhelming majority our "stuff" stored nicely in our trailer. We are outdoor campers, we are out early in the morning around a campfire where we do the vast majority of our cooking. The only extended time that we will spend in our TT will be to sleep or to take shelter when inclement weather keeps us from being outdoors.
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #7

I still have this mental image of a true glamper we ran into in at the RV show a few years back. DW and I toured a large 5th wheel where most (all?, I don't even recall a table) of the living space was taken up by a 50-60" TV and 3 of the deep loungers. We were laughing at the stupidity of it (our TT has an 18-20" screen, and I'm not really sure if it works), and DW made a comment about how "special" it was. Another woman in the unit heard "special" and started gushing about how perfect it was, and that they had just made a deal on that very one. We high tailed before laughter overcame.

But somewhere even now, I picture this rig pulling into a campground on Friday evening, the plug going to the post, the sat dish rising, and door closing again until its time to head home on Sunday afternoon.

There are many degrees of glamping, to my BIL who bivvies in a sleep hammock, we are glampers in our basic HTT. See, we all know them when we see them.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:33 AM   #8

Those gorgeous 5'ers set people up nicely as they travel the nation toward destinations unknown, they truly are rolling homes. I never understood it at first, I thought it was overkill at it's finest, but I've learned those 5'ers are perfect for travelers who take their camping passion to the next lever. We...we are perfectly content with our TT, we'll be teased by our family and friends who've yet to upgrade from their current platform....it's all okay in my book!

Old 04-18-2017, 11:37 AM   #9

My husband and I started out in a 64 Apache tent trailer handed down from my in-laws. We progressed to 2 different lengths of travel trailers and now have our 3rd. Due to health reasons, we have decided to trade in this trailer, 34'er, for a fifth wheel. My personal opinion is camping is camping. Whether you "rough it" or have a fully decked out motor home, you are still enjoying nature, the weather, sightseeing, fishing, swimming, and camaraderie with other campers. Is anything else really necessary??
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #10
Site Team

My idea of camping is getting to the Embassy Suites on a Friday night, in time for FREE cocktails in the bar (5-7PM), watching some movie back in the room... Breakfast down by the ducks swimming around in the little pool with tropical plants surrounding it and soft jungle noise playing in the background while having my eggs and pancakes.. a cup of STRONG coffee specially made... getting back up to my room and watching old time westerns to give me the feel of the real outdoors.. heading down to the tropical garden again for lunch.... a little swim in the pool for exercise... nature videos on TV for the remainder of the afternoon... head down to the tropical garden for dinner... up to the bar for my FREE drinks... back to the room for an action movie and some sleep... just to start my weekend camping adventures over again the next day.. totally exhausted by the time I leave Sunday morning. Gosh, I miss working! Well, this TT is probably the next best thing to the Embassy Suites, parked here by the creek (see pictures below) for the next 5 months. Ahhhhh the sounds of a creek with fast running water... Opts, time to tap a kidney again... maybe earplugs to drown out the creek sounds... won't have to drain the tanks that much.

What CAMPING is... is in the eyes of the beholder... camping to me is MORE THAN LIKELY not camping to you... and that is good!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
Seasonal Spot 1.jpg   Seasonal Spot 2.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
My husband and I started out in a 64 Apache tent trailer handed down from my in-laws. We progressed to 2 different lengths of travel trailers and now have our 3rd. Due to health reasons, we have decided to trade in this trailer, 34'er, for a fifth wheel. My personal opinion is camping is camping. Whether you "rough it" or have a fully decked out motor home, you are still enjoying nature, the weather, sightseeing, fishing, swimming, and camaraderie with other campers. Is anything else really necessary??
You've nailed this on the head, it matters not how someone camps, all that matters that people need to do what is best for them. Whether it's camping gear stowed in the trunk of a car, all the way up to a 250K motorhome, it all makes for a great parade as they arrive down the road to their campsite. We love those Friday parades, we marvel at the TV's and rigs, it is great entertainment.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudd View Post
I saw something very similar to this pic rolling down the road on our way back home. Not trying judge, just trying to understand, How much stuff do you need to go "camping"?! If you need that much stuff, I think i'd just stay home. Again, i just want to understand. Maybe there is someone on here that rolls this way and can chime in with why they do it.
Working at campgrounds I have seen it time and again. A large RV will pull in and other than checking in, you never see them out of the RV I don't think it's camping unless you actually leave your RV. They may travel to a lot of places, but never experience a thing. Far too many are wrapped up in 'I have to have the biggest and best". Many are really pathetic folks, looking for something they will never find. Watching TV in 40 states doesn't mean you've seen anything

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
... Many are really pathetic folks, looking for something they will never find. Watching TV in 40 states doesn't mean you've seen anything

If that is what they enjoy doing, what makes them pathetic? It's all about enjoying yourself and nothing else. As long as people aren't causing anyone else grief I think judging people and their choices is a waste of time. If you want carry all your supplies in a backpack and see the world, or close yourself In a multi-million dollar box and be isolated, all that matters is that you enjoy your time. Judging someone else does nothing but waste energy.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:12 PM   #14

Quote:
My personal opinion is camping is camping. Whether you "rough it" or have a fully decked out motor home, you are still enjoying nature, the weather, sightseeing, fishing, swimming, and camaraderie with other campers. Is anything else really necessary??
I completely agree. Here we can boondock, find a spot to park the motorhome surrounded by nature. Or we can find a state park, park the motorhome on a concrete pad and, with a five minute hike, get just as lost in the wilderness as we ever did w/ a tent.

Heck, for those folks who advocate roughing it and not showering, why not go all in? Instead of a can of pork n' beans, why not chase down your four-legged dinner and kill it with your teeth?

Personally, I think showering is a good thing.
Like canned food.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:16 PM   #15

I totally agree!! Different strokes for different folks. It is all what makes you happy...
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:26 PM   #16

Did tent camping as a kid.
When my son was in Boy Scouts, I enjoyed helping at the camping events!
SWMBO and I tent camped on her vacation property. Several nights of being 50' from the waterfall. Fond memories of cooking over an open fire within inches of the stream!

I'm the one that got tired of keeping a small shovel with the TP....

So I bought a camper. Hot shower, flush toilet and staying dry and warm when it rains is my minimum set now.

Yes, it is glamping! And I happily participate.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:53 PM   #17

The wife and I started in a two person tent and backpacks. Then the little ladies came along which prompted us to get a family sized tent and pick up truck to haul everything. In time we moved up to a 2005 26" TT which we owned for 10 years. At the end of 2015 we bought our 28dsbh and use it fairly regularly. We like to boondock in more isolated campgrounds where you have space from your neighbor. I'm not a big fan of the mass campsite, full hook up campgrounds that stack you right on top of your neighbor. I refer to this type of camping as "City camping." In the end, any day camping is better than any day working

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:57 PM   #18

I find these kinds of threads interesting and fun.

My earliest camping experiences were as a teenager on Canadian fishing trips, portaging boats and equipment over land bridges, pulling boats up rapids, and being hundreds of miles from civilization and hospitals. It was a blast and I was bit by the "bug".

Shortly after my daughter was born we started camping in WI state parks. A tent and sleeping bags. At some point, probably 7 or 8 years, we got tired of the work involved and sleeping on the ground so we bought a pop-up.

Eleven years of that and we decided we just want simplicity on vacations. My wife also wanted a real indoor toilet that she didn't have to walk to at 3:00 am. We bought a hybrid in '03, and another in '13. We get the openness and outdoor feel of a tent, and all of the "glam" of having electric, water, and a shower in the morning without going outside. We love camping in our trailer.

Yes, we're soft now. But I also have done the hard core camping thing. It was fun and lots of good memories. But I really don't miss it, and I don't really feel the need to prove anything to anyone either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudd View Post
It's very possible that it's not "stuff" for camping. There could be a race car or motorcycles in that trailer. Watch a NASCAR race, behind the pits you'll see a lot of rigs just like this. Or perhaps supplies for a business. I know at one point Cracker Barrel had full timers buying antiques for their restaurants. I imagine they needed trailers to haul their treasures in.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPayne View Post
If that is what they enjoy doing, what makes them pathetic? It's all about enjoying yourself and nothing else. As long as people aren't causing anyone else grief I think judging people and their choices is a waste of time. If you want carry all your supplies in a backpack and see the world, or close yourself In a multi-million dollar box and be isolated, all that matters is that you enjoy your time. Judging someone else does nothing but waste energy.
That's the point. After 4 years working at campgrounds, interacting with 1000's of campers, I would go so far as to make a broad observation. Knowing it's not good to paint with a broad brush, and it's not true in every case, I would say people's "happiness" judged by their interactions with others and with those in their own party, are the exact opposite to the price paid for their camping equipment. IE Tenters for the most part a happy, they interact with others and seem to be happy doing what and where they are. On the other hand those with Prevost are the grumpiest, appear to be least happy and rarely interact with others.

I have no issue with anyone doing what they want, but why bother if your unhappy, don't like other people and don't really enjoy where your at.

Guess the old adage, money can't buy happiness is alive and well in campgrounds

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Spot on, Ruth!

I'm 40 years old and started out tent camping at Lake Cumberland in KY as an infant and on to Dale Hollow Lake in TN at the age of 4. We had a tent and a screen room and would vacation for two weeks at a time. It was AWESOME and I made LOTS of memories with my family and a group of other families that boated with us.

When I got married 10 years ago, my wife wasn't into boating or camping, I sold my boat and got into UTV's. I started taking my oldest daughter when she was 5 and we camped a few times in a tent or we'd rent cabins. To get my wife to go on vacation, I bought a Class A diesel pusher because she wasn't interested in tent camping. She really enjoyed our first trip to Virginia Beach in it. So the next year we went to Myrtle Beach. She didn't like riding in the RV and towing a car, so we traded it in for a toy hauler 5th wheel. She's not the type to enjoy sleeping in a tent and sweating and quite frankly, I'm not either.

We enjoy doing all the same things that tent campers do, only with some extra amenities. We're all different in what we like and don't like but at the end of the day, we all love traveling and camping (in our own little way).
Beach Cart XL
GlampinLife is offline   Reply With Quote