Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2020, 12:51 PM   #21

We have the 22” Blackstone as well from Walmart with the hood, stand, and hose adapter. We use it home and camping.

If you jump on YouTube, look up Hungry Hussey. Guy is a riot and has a lot of good videos. He actually has more subscribers than Blackstone’s guy.
Spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:12 PM   #22

Love our Blackstone

Hubby rarely grills out but he received the 17” Blackstone on Father’s Day. He loves cooking on it and everything has turned out fantastic! It’s so portable; I imagine we’ll take it on our travels. For right now, we’ve been using it at our local camping club quite often. Best purchase ever!
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:57 PM   #23
Site Team

Glad to hear Summer camp is happening somewhere. Our council Summer camps are closed this year.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
We have the 22” Blackstone as well from Walmart with the hood, stand, and hose adapter. We use it home and camping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Bought the package on sale from WalMart that includes the hood and stand. Today I received the bottle holder that bolts onto the side shelf and I already receive the adapter to use the coach's on board LPG and quick disconnect hose.
Was there any damage after you unboxed it? I am about ready to buy from Walmart, but a bunch of the reviews said there was physical damage, missing screws, warped griddle, etc. Plus many said the hose was cheap and didn't last very long and that the stand was flimsy.

Walmart seems to have the best deal right now. The one they offer with stand and hose is made exclusively for Walmart.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:18 PM   #25

The grease drain on the back of our 22” has a catch pan the accepts the cheap little tin loaf pans that are 5 for a buck. Fast and easy to dump but can’t imagine filling it. Love our Blackstone.
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
The issue with burgers has been around for ages with the "flat top" vs "grill" debates of the restaurants.

Burgers and steaks are the reason my Blackstone is in addition to and not a replacement for the Weber Q that is in the rig.
Love my 22" Blackstone, but I have my Weber Q in reserve too! Both hook up to the quick connect LP on the 5er.

The DW likes it so much that she's considering buying me a bigger Blackstone for the house and keeping the 22" solely for the RV.

I think the only food that I've cooked on the Blackstone that we didn't like was some Halibut...probably my fault!
Old 07-11-2020, 10:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Was there any damage after you unboxed it? I am about ready to buy from Walmart, but a bunch of the reviews said there was physical damage, missing screws, warped griddle, etc. Plus many said the hose was cheap and didn't last very long and that the stand was flimsy.

Walmart seems to have the best deal right now. The one they offer with stand and hose is made exclusively for Walmart.

We bought this one from Walmart and it was fine. Liked it so well we got a 28" for home.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:29 PM   #28

Camp Cooking

We use our Blackstone, 15k btu single burner and a Country Smoker, pellet grill! We try to do all of our cooking outside. I have to say the Blackstone and the Country Smoker do 90% of the work! From fried rice to smoked ribs, we are set!!
Attached Thumbnails
A7532194-6E09-41F5-87AB-B9B440CB7AA3.jpg   7326B71F-4457-4ED7-B65E-4218460B9A9A.jpeg  
xoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:18 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelers View Post
I purchased the 17” Blackstone Griddle about 3 months ago. We now make almost all of our meals on it (breakfast/lunch/dinner) when camping. Last week I bought the 28” Blackstone for use at home. I have found that not only does the food come out good, but I get a lot of enjoyment cooking on it. It also allows my wife more time to relax instead of her preparing meals, doing the dishes and cleaning up afterwords. There are also a lot of videos on YouTube with interesting ideas on what to cook on a Blackstone griddle.
Question..........how do you cook ribs on a Blackstone
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:58 PM   #30

The ribs are on my Country Smoker/Pellet Grill! See photo. I cut the slab in half.
xoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:05 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoft View Post
The ribs are on my Country Smoker/Pellet Grill! See photo. I cut the slab in half.
Looks good!! I think one of those Country Smokers needs to be added to my want list They get great reviews compared to the Traeger portables.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 07-15-2020, 12:14 PM   #32

Well, the DW really liked the 22" grill, so she ordered a 17" for us, as we could not get the great deal as we got for the troop.

I have now use both. Have to say the 22" griddle is much nicer!

22" is HOT, I used it on low with just tad bit more gas to give a a fairly consistent 375 degrees across the top. The corners were just a little bit cooler (as expected). The 17" Needed to be on a medium low setting, and the heat was very variable across the top, ranged from the lowest temp of 280 in the corner with the grease drain port to about 400 degrees in the center. The other corners were 300-320 degrees.

The grease catch drain on the 22" is awesome. It has a nice large gutter overhang and drips grease into the cup nicely, with no second thoughts no issues. Only wish the gutter was slightly wider to help push crumbs through, but it was not bad. The 17" at first dripped grease all over the control panel. I had to push the griddle back in the slotted mounting holes. The depression is not great, to help flow the grease. The hole is small, and was hard to push crumbs to it.

I have only cooked one simple meal on the 17" verses about 6 meals on the 22"

If I had to recommend one, it would be the 22" for consistent heat and better drip pan setup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	17 in Blackstone.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	61220
17" Seasoning

Name:	22 inch Blackstone Griddle.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	61221
22" seasoning

Name:	Pancakes 17 .jpg
Views:	11
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	61223
17" Pancakes

Name:	Pancake 22 .jpg
Views:	13
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	61222
22" Pancakes

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:39 PM   #33

Post Summer Camp follow up;

We brought both the Troop's 22" and my 17" Blackstone griddles to camp. 11 out of the 17 meals were cooked on the two griddles. The boys did all the cooking, but I help guide them as needed. Both griddle worked flawlessly. But there is a big difference in the performance between the two.

Heat; The 22" has extremely even heat across the flat top. Corners are a little cool, but fully expected. We used it with the heat setting just above low, and gave us about 375 degree surface temp. The 17" has very uneven heat. With a medium high temp setting, the center would hit 400 degrees. Never really did find a spot on the dial to find 375 degrees. The center is hot, the edges are much cooler, and the corners are extremely cooler. The corner with the small drip hole was over 100 degrees cooler than the center. When cooking you could really tell the difference. On the 22" everything cooked very consistently anywhere on the flat top. The 17"; center items cooked quickly, the items on the edge, did not cook consistently. You could really tell when putting bacon on the hot griddle also pancakes and French toast you could tell by the color of the food.

Drip Pan; 17" drip pan is a small hole in the front left corner. Found that the griddle top mounts, in a set of slotted holes, if the pan was not pushed all the way back, the grease would drip on the top of the control panel. This was compounded especially on an uneven picnic table. The root issue the hole through the control panel is really too small for the amount the griddle can slide around in the slotted holes. The 22" has an awesome rear catch tray. As others said it will fit a small loaf pan. We slit a soda can and put it in there for quick nightly clean up. The 17" drip pan is a small drawer. Every boy had problems getting the little drawer closed. We cut a soda can down (height wise) in put in the pan, to help with cleanup.

We had both griddles connected to a single 20 pound LP tank. I do not think we even used a 1/2 tank of gas over the 11 meals.

After using both griddles, side by side for a week, the 22" is superior.

If I could suggest to Blackstone how to improve the 17", the following would be my suggestions. Catch pan, replicate what is being done with the 22", possibly make the back slot larger, to make it easier to push crumbs through. Heat needs to be addressed. I did not verify, but I suspect Blackstone is using the same "H" burner for both the 17" and 22". They need to redesign the H burner. The two columns of flames need to be spread farther apart from each other. The center is too hot, while the edges are too cold.

If I had not used both side by side, I would say the 17" is awesome. Now, the 22" is awesome, and the 17" with a few design tweaks, could be incredible. I maybe building a new custom burner this winter.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:45 PM   #34

i used mine last weekend for it's initial cookout...

I noticed that it wouldn't heat well ... turns out you need to adjust the regulator so it is about the same angle as if you had a 1lb bottle on it... once I did that it worked like i expected...

for $100 bucks it was awesome.. plenty of heat everywhere...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:45 PM   #35

Thank you for that follow up!! I just saw the 17" on sale in the Camping World flyer, and was thinking seriously about picking one up. But after your review, I will probably hold out for the 22".

I very rarely ever cook for more than just the 3 of us, so it didn't make sense to me to purchase the "bigger" one. But if it's THAT much better, it might be worth it...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:49 PM   #36

the 22" is the cat... IMO... you won't be disappointed...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:05 PM   #37

Anyone use a pellet grill. I think I would really like one, but all the portables are on back order for almost 4 months!
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 08-06-2020, 04:02 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Anyone use a pellet grill. I think I would really like one, but all the portables are on back order for almost 4 months!
Check post 28 of this thread.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:26 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post

Target has a decent one that I use at the house. It’s small, but not real portable. You could definitely fab something up to make it more portable. I know they have them in stock, at least they did last week when I was at my local store. I bought 2 of them for $200 last year. They were clearanced out for $150 a piece and I told the manager that I’d take both of them off his hands for 2 bills. I was shocked when he agreed, so I just sold the other one to my partner at work for $100.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:40 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
If I had not used both side by side, I would say the 17" is awesome. Now, the 22" is awesome, and the 17" with a few design tweaks, could be incredible.
Thanks for the follow-up. I have the 22" but I was considering buying a 17" for the portability. I'm not so sure I want one now.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote