Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2018, 06:09 PM   #1
Site Team

Ticks

We all love camping and being outdoors. I just want to take a moment to remind everyone, especially in the North East, to be mindful of ticks. Just before bed last night, we found a tick on the back of our youngest daughter's neck. This is late February in Pennsylvania and you would assume that this wouldn't be an issue this time of year. This obviously isn't the first time we've encountered one, but it is a first in the middle of winter.

Anyway, the Dr. started her on a 21 day course of antibiotics as a preventative measure. Lyme Disease is very prevalent in our area and the Dr. would rather be safe than sorry I guess.

Just keep an eye on your kids and pets everyone.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:12 PM   #2

Already found two this month in Delaware. Neither had bitten yet.
Overloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:14 PM   #3

Timely advice. I had a bought of Lyme a few years ago. No fun at all.

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:09 PM   #4

Never used to really hear of them in northern Ohio until the last couple of years. Now there are areas that are infested with them. Central Wisc. was bad for deer ticks, as I paid a visit to the doc with one embedded in my skin. Thankfully nothing came of it. My old stomping grounds of northern Mn meant a nightly inspection from mom for woodticks. So, thanks for the reminder to pay attention for the little buggers!

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:25 PM   #5

We were up in Maine last summer. about a month before we went up there, we started taking garlic supplements.
None of us found any ticks on us all week.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:18 AM   #6

While Lyme is an issue from the deer ticks, at least it's somewhat treatable. The Lone Stars are what I fear most. Several people I know have been bitten by them and now cannot eat anything from an animal with hooves. Basically no red meat or pork.

They are fast too.

For those who have not seen one. It's a little smaller than a dog tick with a white spot on it's back.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:11 AM   #7

Of all the creatures in nature ticks are the only ones that truly disgust me. We have them carrying Lyme disease here in Florida as well, but so far have'nt been bitten by one that carries it, including last year when I wandered into a wild blackberry bush and ended up with over twenty of them biting me. Disgusting.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:40 AM   #8
Site Team

We spend a lot of time checking our pups and our own selves for ticks.

Those little buggers can find places that I can't even reach.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:31 PM   #9

spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
We all love camping and being outdoors. I just want to take a moment to remind everyone, especially in the North East, to be mindful of ticks. Just before bed last night, we found a tick on the back of our youngest daughter's neck. This is late February in Pennsylvania and you would assume that this wouldn't be an issue this time of year. This obviously isn't the first time we've encountered one, but it is a first in the middle of winter.

Anyway, the Dr. started her on a 21 day course of antibiotics as a preventative measure. Lyme Disease is very prevalent in our area and the Dr. would rather be safe than sorry I guess.

Just keep an eye on your kids and pets everyone.
Thank you for reminding folks to be mindful of critters and crawlers that exist in RV country. Some have taken on a life of their own and in reality pose little or no real risk to campers and hikers. Ticks and other insects can carry disease that are harmful or even deadly in humans. That said we need to be mindful of the RISKs we might come in contact with without over reacting to them. Personally I struggle with a doctor prescribing a 21 day cycle of antibiotics as a precaution against a possible exposure to lyme. Ticks are a fact of life in the wild and even in the garden in your back yard. Living in a rural area, we come in contact with ticks on a daily basis and routinely find them after a day of mowing or trimming. We like to bury them at sea in the toilet. DW got her first tick bite just a few days ago. No antibiotics or even a trip to the doctor and yes we have the occasional case of lyme documented in the area each year.

To protect your self against ticks, use a good bug repellent, spray bushes and gardens where the kids play, and make sure to check out your kids after a day outside anytime you are aware that ticks are active. Remember to shake clothes outside before throwing them in the hamper.

Be alert to the dangers of the seasons but you can't live in a bubble and run to the doctor with every scratch or bite.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:35 AM   #11

With all due respect, while I wholeheartedly agree about not living in a bubble, a tick bite in KY/TN doesn't carry the same risk as one in PA. According to the CDC, 95% of all Lyme cases were reported in just 14 states, with PA, MA, CT, DE, and RI being the epicenter. https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/stats/index.html
NH_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_camper View Post
With all due respect, while I wholeheartedly agree about not living in a bubble, a tick bite in KY/TN doesn't carry the same risk as one in PA. According to the CDC, 95% of all Lyme cases were reported in just 14 states, with PA, MA, CT, DE, and RI being the epicenter. https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/stats/index.html
And I am in complete agreement with you about the risk being higher than in Ky/Tn but even with the higher incident of lyme in those states, a relatively low percent of the bites actually result in lyme exposure. I have never heard of a doc prescribing a 21 day cycle of antibiotics unless certain symptoms are present. That was my point. Over prescribing antibiotics is why we now have super bugs that are immune to most common antibiotics.

Be safe out there.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote