Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2018, 02:23 PM   #1

AC's in Seismic

I have a Seismic 4113 with 3 ac's, and an Onan 5500 generator (only 5.5 hours of run time) with two 30 amp breakers. Today I wanted to exercise the generator. Since it is a hot day I thought the ac units would give it a good workout. Apparently too good. I started the gen up, let it run a couple of minutes and turned the breakers on. Went in and turned the middle unit on. About 10 minutes later I turned the bedroom ac on. Came back after an additional 10 minutes and both ac units were off. Checked breakers and one had tripped on the gen. Turned all ac units off, turned off both breakers on the gen and restarted. I then turned on the breakers after a couple of minutes and went in and turned on the garage ac. After a few more minutes I turned on the mid ac unit. After approximately 5 minutes both units shut down, the generator sputtered and shut down and the same breaker was blown. The outside temp at the time was 96 and the thermostat inside was reading 99 (that is probably as high as it will read). I have run all three units on 50 amp shore power with no problem in the past and I am sure I ran all 3 units the when I exercised the generator last month.

So I guess I have a couple of questions:

1. Should one of the three ac units be on a different breaker on the generator? What does the other breaker feed?

2. What caused the generator to shut down, overheating? (Oil level is OK)
Old 07-02-2018, 02:41 PM   #2

Overheating won't cause the breaker to trip.

Try it with the breakers on when you start it. There is no reason to start with them off.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:14 PM   #3

your AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by theracqueteer View Post
I have a Seismic 4113 with 3 ac's, and an Onan 5500 generator (only 5.5 hours of run time) with two 30 amp breakers. Today I wanted to exercise the generator. Since it is a hot day I thought the ac units would give it a good workout. Apparently too good. I started the gen up, let it run a couple of minutes and turned the breakers on. Went in and turned the middle unit on. About 10 minutes later I turned the bedroom ac on. Came back after an additional 10 minutes and both ac units were off. Checked breakers and one had tripped on the gen. Turned all ac units off, turned off both breakers on the gen and restarted. I then turned on the breakers after a couple of minutes and went in and turned on the garage ac. After a few more minutes I turned on the mid ac unit. After approximately 5 minutes both units shut down, the generator sputtered and shut down and the same breaker was blown. The outside temp at the time was 96 and the thermostat inside was reading 99 (that is probably as high as it will read). I have run all three units on 50 amp shore power with no problem in the past and I am sure I ran all 3 units the when I exercised the generator last month.

So I guess I have a couple of questions:

1. Should one of the three ac units be on a different breaker on the generator? What does the other breaker feed?

2. What caused the generator to shut down, overheating? (Oil level is OK)
make sure your fridge is on propane
kenleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:44 PM   #4

Fridge was completely off. The only things running were the AC's. All other appliances were off.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:24 AM   #5

Interesting We run a residential fridge and 2 AC units off our gennie all the time. I did have issues with mother board on gennie at the beginning of our Seismic ordeal, it blew up 4 transfer switches and trip breakers on generator.
I am inclined to take it a Cummins Onan dealer and have it checked. Don't take to dealer! they have no clue.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #6

Call Onan is a 5500 enough to run three 13500s or are they 15000s?
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Onan 5500 will not run 3 AC units, only 2. WE run 15K and a 13K with out any issue. However you can run 3 AC's on 50 amp shore power
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Upgrade to onan commercial 7000 required to run all three
flynmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:25 PM   #9

5500 Onan will not power three AC units. Because you have a 50 amp service, you will notice that two AC units will be on one of the 50 amp AC legs, and the third AC will be on the other leg. This works fine for split phase 220 volt shore power. The generator is single pole and not split phase.... even though it is equipped with two 35amp breakers. These two breakers feed your electrical distribution panel via transfer switch. Each breaker of the generator can only provide 35 amps and not 50. You can run 2 AC units as long as they are on opposite legs oh each other. Also make sure your water heater is switched to propane. It’s 1500 Watts @12 Amps.
EdBob is offline   Reply With Quote