Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2020, 12:43 PM   #1
Kmo

Air Conditioners

Anyone remove a air conditioner from the roof ? just asking cause my Seismic is a little too high to put in the shop for the winter and was wondering how hard it is to remove them from my Seismic.
Kmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:03 PM   #2

What ever you do, don't break it. One of the two on my Octane T-30F is bad, extended warranty will cover, but none in stock & all back-ordered. Repair place says they are waiting an average of 4 - 5 months from Colman (the AC on mine).
AZMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:26 PM   #3
Kmo

A/C

I am not real worried about breaking the ac it self more the trim etc. I have a buddy that charges them and he will top it up for me and install ports to make it a yearly or when ever they get low service. He did my last Talon and it made the air conditioner perform like never before.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmo View Post
Anyone remove a air conditioner from the roof ? just asking cause my Seismic is a little too high to put in the shop for the winter and was wondering how hard it is to remove them from my Seismic.
How high is a little to high? An inch or less? Could just deflate the tires a bit?? But put a huge note on the hitch to remind you to deflate before pulling out.

There are two types of AC Mounts that I have seen. If you have your cold air return directly below it. It is very easy to disconnect. Pull the inside trim, remove the 4 corner bolts. Disconnect the yellow 20 amp power cord and the thermostat wire. Lift it off the roof.

The other style AC, I do not have experience with, but from videos I have seen it does not look hard. Pull the outside AC cover, remove 4 nuts that secure the AC to the roof via anchor bolts. Disconnect the power & thermostat.

If it is a good shop, I would not put the AC back on until spring. Just seal the hole to keep dirt and critters out.

I would order a new gasket, and consider making a quick connect for the power and thermostat as this might be annual event. Also make sure to label which wire goes where, especially the thermostat.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:22 PM   #5
Kmo

Yeah I tried deflating the tires it wasn't enough, then I was lining up some rims that I could cut the lips off but then figured if these units weren't hard to remove I would just do that, I have a forklift and man lift so not real worried about getting them down, just wanted to hear from some one else that there was nothing I was missing, I think a new gasket is a must, I thought I could just throw a heavy matt over the hole for the winter, shop is heated, I just would like it inside to keep it outta the -40 we get here, and then I can work on a few mods that these Seismics need.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:34 PM   #6

Nice to have the right equipment!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:40 PM   #7
Kmo

Yeah its handy, I want to pull the wheels off and weld some gussets on the spring mounts, and possibly thinking about upgrading to a hydraulic lift system and getting rid of the electric, sounds like those are both problems I will have coming, been taken care of some of the smaller issues as I go.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:50 PM   #8

You don't need to disconnect any wires since the control box is mounted with two wing nuts and there is a plug that connects the unit to it. You just need to unplug it and you can let the control box hang loose. As Jagiven said definitely order a new gasket before you reinstall it.

The box looks like this:

https://www.amazon.com/AIRXCEL-83307...7XFGNR7NM96M6C
Old 09-29-2020, 03:22 PM   #9
Kmo

Thumbs up

Sounds good, will save me yanking the tires off the camper outside on the gravel.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:00 PM   #10

May I ask where to order the gaskets from? We suspect ours is letting water in from rain....
Thanks!
clynbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:11 PM   #11

PPL Motorhome:

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...askets_08.0060

AMAZON:

https://www.amazon.com/Ventmate-6552...s%2C176&sr=8-4
Old 10-02-2020, 11:00 AM   #12

Removing and replacing isn't that difficult. Pull the Cover, Remove 4 bolts, 2 Plugs and lift off the roof. My Son and I replaced one on our Siesmic last year.
Noblewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:54 PM   #13

Thank you so much!
clynbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:46 PM   #14

Is the entry to shop too low? Or entire shop?
If it's just the entry, how about lifting the trailer with the forklift till the AC is lower then entry. May not work, depends on axle position
oleg8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:03 AM   #15
Kmo

I see what you are saying but I dont think I would be able to get it up high enough to clear the back air conditioner and as far as the goes I dont know if I would get it low enough for the first air conditioner to clear, I think the best bet wouls just be to remove the air conditioners, and maybe next summer add another wing on to the shop where I can just drive right through.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:48 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to 2KOOL4U Send a message via Skype™ to 2KOOL4U
Remove the cover in the ceiling. Unplug the plugs. There are 4 long screws around each corner. Unscrew and get on the roof and remove unit
2KOOL4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:48 PM   #17

If it is a close fit then just removing the cover may do it as in some cases that will give you an inch or two.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:55 AM   #18
Kmo

I think the only way yo be safe is remove the units looks like about three inches, if I ever get my camper back from slide repairs, been in the shop since August 9 th
Old 01-31-2021, 08:03 PM   #19
Kmo

camper

I finally got my camper back yesterday Aug 9 th till January 30 th. May have to buy another camper to use while this Seismic is in the shop.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:39 PM   #20

I had a similar experience re service timelines. I had mine for two days initially, then it disappeared for 5 months straight. Had two other multi-month visits too within the first two years. Stupid problems...
atlantaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote