Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2019, 10:14 AM   #1

Batteries that won’t break my wallet

Hi,

What batteries do you recommend? I need two for my Octane 161 SL. I don’t particularly want to spend a lot of money right now as I’ll probably end up killing these rather quickly and I have no idea what I’ll be wanting a year or two down the road (new to RVs AND batteries...I already managed to kill one set). Ideas? I’d go into WallyWorld and buy two, but I don’t know what I need other than 12v marine. Do I have to worry about amps? Cold cranking something or other? Etc.
Saffikeagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:26 AM   #2

Without knowing how you plan to use your batteries, this is a general recommendation.

Bang for the buck, one of the best solutions is a pair of 6v golf car batteries from Sam's Club wired together in series to produce 12v.

Most important, is for you to figure out why you're killing your batteries, and why you anticipate killing your new battery. Battery maintenance is simple.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:26 AM   #3

Have you figured your 12v needs and calculated that 2 batteries are necessary? If these are just 'training batteries' , why kill 2 if 1 will do?

What killed your last set?

I have a pair of group24 in my TT because the larger group27 wouldn't fit. I bought them from W*mart because they are everywhere and they have replaced the batteries in my truck under warranty without a problem.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #4

Interstate Batttery
ASK for a blemished battery
Nothing mechanically wrong with them
Group 31
I think I paid $54 each for mine.
I've had mine for 5 years.

My Jayco came with a Group 27 battery, these are way bigger (and real tough)
Old 04-19-2019, 10:53 AM   #5

What killed my current batteries? Heh. Do I want to fess up? I’ve already been crucified online for my ignorance. I left them hooked to the RV, they discharged of course, then spent three months freezing and thawing and freezing again (a combination of lack of battery knowledge and living in a climate that freezes for the first time). Then, I had the RV plugged into shore and the furnace on when I tried to connect them again (negative first of course). I have no idea what I need or want battery-wise. I do have solar panels I can plug in to help charge them. I’d like to be able to boondock for a weekend if I need to. I can’t yet sort out what’s going to drain my batteries when it’s running and what will run off of shore power. The whole amp hours stuff I’ll probably work on figuring out when I finally comprehend the difference between amps and volts and what means what OR when it’s 1am, I’m in the middle of BFE, my batteries die and the CO detector won’t shut up (either that or I’ll learn how to disconnect the CO detector). I think I have now Googled enough to learn that my mistakes with a 12v battery probably won’t kill me (just slightly maim if I’m unlucky). I need some serious training wheels for this current RV season!
Old 04-19-2019, 10:56 AM   #6

Oh, then people keep tossing numbers around like $500 per battery. ACK!
Old 04-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Without knowing how you plan to use your batteries, this is a general recommendation.

Most important, is for you to figure out why you're killing your batteries, and why you anticipate killing your new battery. Battery maintenance is simple.
Based on your post, you do not monitor your batteries usage. Before you invest your hard earned money into a more expensive battery(s), you need to change your camping living style while on battery power. Start now with an inexpensive replacement battery.

As mentioned earlier how do you use your TT battery? Do you use an inverter? Dry-camp? TT heater? How do you RE-charge your battery each day?

First thing to do is pick up an inexpensive Digital Battery Voltage meter from Amazon. See the below pictures. To get some mileage (years) out of your battery, you will need to keep the voltage level of your battery(s) above 12.2VDC. When your meter displays 12.2 volts, it is time to shut down your usage of 12 volt items.

While you are using your new inexpensive battery, put your new battery life style into effect. Your batteries will love you.
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
ELECTRONICS - 12VDC Voltage Display.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffikeagan View Post
What killed my current batteries? Heh. Do I want to fess up? I’ve already been crucified online for my ignorance. I left them hooked to the RV, they discharged of course, then spent three months freezing and thawing and freezing again (a combination of lack of battery knowledge and living in a climate that freezes for the first time). Then, I had the RV plugged into shore and the furnace on when I tried to connect them again (negative first of course). I have no idea what I need or want battery-wise. I do have solar panels I can plug in to help charge them. I’d like to be able to boondock for a weekend if I need to. I can’t yet sort out what’s going to drain my batteries when it’s running and what will run off of shore power. The whole amp hours stuff I’ll probably work on figuring out when I finally comprehend the difference between amps and volts and what means what OR when it’s 1am, I’m in the middle of BFE, my batteries die and the G.D. CO detector won’t shut up (either that or I’ll learn how to disconnect the CO detector). I think I have now Googled enough to learn that my mistakes with a 12v battery probably won’t kill me (just slightly maim if I’m unlucky). I need some serious training wheels for this current RV season!
WOW! I feel your pain! It's not rocket science, but it does require some attention and study. Take heart: Most of us have then through a similar learning curve. Remember - a smart man learns from his mistakes... a wise man learns from the mistakes of others.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:44 PM   #9

Sounds like you're in a tough spot and the learning curve is steep. I've been there (well, still there actually). I'm also in the same boat about buying batteries and have been looking recently.

There's good value in the Sam's Club or Costco batteries. I know our local Costco has 6v golf cart batteries for $93.99 (plus $15 core) each (you'll need 2). With some care these can be adequate. They are around 210ah, I believe. Batteries Plus is another that has some 6v options ranging in price and AH rating but if you look at it from a cost per AH, I think Costco comes out ahead.

Just my logic working here, but going to a pair of 6v batteries as opposed to a 12v might be a smart option while you're working out your usage.

Gone but not forgotten:
Harvey – *SOLD* 2018 Eagle HT TT 314BHDS
Big D - 2002 F250 XLT CCSB 7.3L Power Stroke (semi-retired)
NorCal Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:52 PM   #10

Battery PLUS also sells the GC2 GOLF CART 6V Batteries. I picked two of the DURACELL 6VDC for less then $100 each and they accepted dud 12V Batteries for core cost… Also you don't have to join the club at SAM's Club or COSTCO...

They were also marked down 15 percent so final cost for batteries was $89.75 each including sales tax for the 215AH 6V batteries. These were the SLIGC110 model batteries... weight 60.5LBS

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Interstate Batttery
ASK for a blemished battery
Nothing mechanically wrong with them
Group 31
I think I paid $54 each for mine.
I've had mine for 5 years.

My Jayco came with a Group 27 battery, these are way bigger (and real tough)
Or get two golf cart "Blems" like Riverman says. Just have a blemish on them or a creased case but still have warranty and could be as much as 50% less than non-blems!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #12

Update. I took my batteries into Interstate they tested and said the batteries are good (not great, but good enough). Got home with said batteries yesterday and plugged them up again about 24 hours ago.

I got 2 hours until the CO detector started going off. Unplugged, pulled fuses, replugged fuses etc. and got the CO detector reset. Then I was good until about an hour after I fell asleep (yay driveway camping) and the thing went off again and I gave up and went back into the house. This morning, I again tested the batteries, pulled out my volt meter, looked up instructions, all that jazz, and batteries were fine. Plugged into shore power again and started dewinterizing the water lines. Testing out the stabilizing jacks (where I smacked myself in the forehead and now have a gash WOOT!) Went to turn the water pump back off and the CO detector went off again.

I gave up and hauled it into the dealership. They tested the voltage feeding the CO detector and said it was 13 odd and fine. Their solution: meh...probably just sawdust from the manufacturing process. They blew it out reset and I took it home again.

15 minutes before the dealer closed today the went off again. This is now two weekends that this thing has taken up.

They are going to replace the CO detector this next week. So, I go to fill up the fresh water tanks with a bleach solution to sanitize, hook the food grade hose up to the city water thingy turn the tap on and wait. And wait, and wait. And check the control panel and wait longer. Something is/was preventing water from going into the RV through the city water hookup today even though it worked yesterday. I had to fill using the hose in the gravity thingy. Ugh. I'm really frustrated with the whole thing. Did I mention the electric cord isn't retracting?
Old 04-22-2019, 06:28 AM   #13

Just checking the 12V battery on my 2014 Flight 26BH that I have had since Nov of last year. Noticed it is a new Precision 24M-650 Marine battery. Googled it but no good answers. Is this going to work for me? I do not do any boondocking just go where there is shore power. I have no add ons that use the battery. So far no problems. Manual calls for a 27 group deep cycle.
Thanks, Mike
mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote