Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2020, 04:57 PM   #1

Hot Water Heater Not Working

I own a 2018 Jayco Octane toy hauler that I bought new in January of 2018. Overall I love the camper because it is small enough for me to handle (sort of) and big enough to hold my 50" Polaris Rzr. I am a single woman and not especially handy although I am learning. Generally if someone tells me what to do and a general idea of how to do it, I am willing to tackle it. This year I swear my camper must be infected by COVID-19 because things are constantly breaking and I am about at my wits end. My current problem is the hot water heater. I have an Atwood heater, model number GC6AA-10E, six gallon. It operates on both gas and electric. In July of 2018 it went out and I bought a new circuit board and replaced it, and hooray, it worked until May of this year. It had the same symptoms as before, it would click when I turned on the gas switch, but not ignite. I can light it with a clicker lighter most times. Picture me turning on the switch, running down the steps, fumbling with the clicker until it lights, and worrying about my eyebrows catching on fire when it finally goes boom and lights. It works on electric but I tend to boondock and rarely have hookups. So I again replaced the circuit board, and again it worked but only for about a month. Someone suggested I had got a bad circuit board, and since I got it through Camping World, they agreed to replace it with another one. However, the order never got placed and after I "patiently" waited 2 or 3 weeks for the board, I was told no one ever ordered it. So they finally placed the order a week or so ago, but I am told shipping is backlogged and it could be weeks before it arrives. So I ordered one myself I found on the internet, installed it, but it works the same as the old one - clicks, no ignition, works on electric. I plan to send it back. Any help for what to try next would be appreciated. I have considered selling all my toys and buying a really comfortable rocking chair, but I know I would just sit in it and miss all my toys.
Rhonda L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:24 AM   #2

We are having the same issue with our 2018 264BHW. The WH stopped working on LP Thursday last week at the end of a week long trip. I've been researching this ever since. I have found that the control boards made by Zhongding with a part number 91346 are junk, like 80% of them fail. I have had several people tell me to replace it with this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Made in USA with a 3 year waranty!!!

I have also had people tell me that Dometic is easy to work with and will replace the "going to fail" boards as warranty. I have been trying for days to get a hold of someone with ZERO response.

Looks like I'm buying the Dinosaur board for my trailer!
PsychoPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoPig View Post
We are having the same issue with our 2018 264BHW. The WH stopped working on LP Thursday last week at the end of a week long trip. I've been researching this ever since. I have found that the control boards made by Zhongding with a part number 91346 are junk, like 80% of them fail. I have had several people tell me to replace it with this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Made in USA with a 3 year waranty!!!

I have also had people tell me that Dometic is easy to work with and will replace the "going to fail" boards as warranty. I have been trying for days to get a hold of someone with ZERO response.

Looks like I'm buying the Dinosaur board for my trailer!
I've been through two of the Dometic/Atwood boards on my gas-only WH on our 2018 267BHSW, one replaced under warranty, second one failed a few months past warranty expiration, so I replaced with the Dinosaur board and it has worked fine now for 3 camping trips since. To me, it was worth the $110 to get one I feel like I can have some faith in now rather than one highly prone to failure. Anyway, for what it's worth.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ignite, water heater