Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2017, 04:29 PM   #1

2016 Precept 35S Chassis Upgrade

First let me start off by saying we know a guy with a full service RV repair and restoration shop. After a month of driving it I called him about the handling and when I told him the tire pressure was 85 PSI he said that's like driving on flat tires. I aired the tires up to 95-100 and then immediately had the front end aligned. We have put another 4000 miles on it since then and felt the handling could be improved so off to the RV shop. I had them install the SafeTplus steering stabilizer, CHF on the front and rear stabilizer bars and replaced the dreaded Bilsteins with the Koni FSD's.
HUGE difference!!
Less tippy, better control and handling and the constant correction of the steering wheel is gone. I'll put some more miles on it but it felt really good and I may be done spending $$$$ on it.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:45 PM   #2

[QUOTE=Vicr;549638]replaced the dreaded Bilsteins with the Koni FSD's.
HUGE difference!!
/QUOTE]

Best thing any MH owner could do, whether it is a REDHAWK, GREYHAWK, SENECA, ALANTE or PRECEPT.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:38 PM   #3

Does that have any effect on the Semi's passing you windy conditions?

I've done the CHF, Safe T Steer and the rear blue ox track bar. Tires are at 100psi and it's still a white knucke ride at times.
OutCole'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:04 PM   #4

What are the Bilstiens ?
Frank1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:10 PM   #5

Bilstein is a brand of shock absorbers.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Bilstein is a brand of shock absorbers.
And by replacing them my Precept will handle better?
I think the J in the Jaco J ride must stand for joke because my motorhome handles like crap. I put on the steering stabilizer everyone recommended and put the tire pressure at 100 but it still wanders all over the road.
Frank1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank1960 View Post
And by replacing them my Precept will handle better?
I think the J in the Jaco J ride must stand for joke because my motorhome handles like crap. I put on the steering stabilizer everyone recommended and put the tire pressure at 100 but it still wanders all over the road.
Have you had it aligned?
Also, the steering stabilizer is more of a safety device than something to help the handling.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:21 AM   #8

I have the same problem I put steering stabilizer on air bag on front Sumo bushing on rear and Trax bar on rear still have the same problem now Jayco said to replace there sway bars with bigger one . My Jayco Alante is a money pit .
DDailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #9

Jayco told me that the sway bar needs replace on front I have stuck $3000 in my Alante and still have that problem the 1 3/4 " sway bar might help it is $600
DDailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDailey View Post
I have the same problem I put steering stabilizer on air bag on front Sumo bushing on rear and Trax bar on rear still have the same problem now Jayco said to replace there sway bars with bigger one . My Jayco Alante is a money pit .
This makes no sense. How can we help with such poorly structured sentences?

Did you get it aligned?!
Old 10-01-2017, 12:33 PM   #11

Different handling characteristics in the Precept family

I'll go back and repeat my comment from March when I had a safetplus stabilizer installed at the factory. Without my Wrangler toad driving is one handed, add the toad and it requires 2 hands.

It's hard to compare drivability between all you folks when there is no common baseline to use. I have my 35S loaded heavier towards the front, do you? Tires are all at 95 psi but I'll probably move up to 100 before we had back to FL in January.

I have yet to do the CHF and doubt I'll get it done before we leave. Maybe next year I'll get that done and think about the Koni's.

Seriously though, there are so many variables involved between the Jayco models it's going to be tough to figure out what will work for you unless you find someone with an identical model that has done the work for you.

Good luck
Old 10-03-2017, 10:20 AM   #12

Cool 2016 Precept 35s Handling

This is just our experience. Just returned from 90 days and 12,600 miles East coast thru Alaska and back. We experienced 0 white knuckle driving days. Yes, crosswinds require paying attention as do semis roaring by in either direction. I carry 75 lbs in front, 95 pounds in rear and we do just fine. We are loaded a bit heavier in the rear than the front. Michelin told me the tire pressure to use. I am not a suspension expert so I get along fine with what I have and will continue to do so for a good while. The F53 chassis had no trouble in the Rockies or anywhere else except when we discovered it left the factory with no grease in the front wheel bearings. Even that took 14,000 miles to show itself. I'm sure modifying the suspension can improve things but I'm satisfied with what I have - maybe because I don't know how good it can be. Also, I don't know anyone locally who is competent to make changes. Soldier on and keep up the good info.
anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:51 AM   #13

Jayco Precept low suspension concerns

We recently purchased a 2016 Jayco Precept, Class A and the suspension seems very low, so low that I can hardly put my hand between the top of the rear tire and the cavity opening. When I look underneath the springs are flat and the clearance between axle and rubber stopper is only about 3". I am thinking of adding rear airbag lifts such as Air Lift 5000 Ultimate or Sumo kits. Anyone in the same concern or any comment on this concern? Thanks
Stanley J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:24 AM   #14

Sound like you need new leaf springs.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:23 AM   #15

New springs as Vic said or maybe a helper spring. My local 4wheel drive shop has installed rear air bags on motorhomes to keep people from dragging. The coaches with long overhangs especially have this problem with steep driveway, etc. I was quoted about $750 for this locally. Haven't needed it yet.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote