Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2021, 07:44 AM   #1

2019 31UL Precept will not shift out of park

Hello all, Looking for some help to potently save my 4th of July weekend camping trip. All packed and ready to go last night, went to shift out of park and could not. I checked the 20 Amp break light malfunction fuse and that seams to be fine, not blown. I also notice another problem, my stairs are not retracting properly when the ignition is on. This started happening when the transition issues started. Is there an interlock between the stairs and the shifter? Do the stairs need to be all the way in to be able to shift out of park as a safety feature?

Any help to save my weekend would be appreciated.
Thank you
Eric Nic
Eric Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:57 PM   #2

The stairs should retract when you start the engine. Place your foot on the break and hold it down firmly and if need be pump the break hard, start the engine then try and shift. It will not shift out of park if the break is not on and I am not talking about the emergency break. If that does not work then check the break lights to ensure the fuse is not blown. If it is blown then that may be your issue, change it and it should work. Hope that helps.....
Old 07-05-2021, 07:06 AM   #3

I own a 2019 36H Precept Prestige and suffered the same issue. My transmission locked in park and would not release. Under the steering wheel column there is a solenoid that has a plunger that needs to be retracted and held while you shift out of park. To access this area you will need to remove the steering wheel column cover underneath. It is hard to view but you will be able to feel for it. I have attached a picture for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Transmission lock_LI.jpg  
Barkie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:20 AM   #4

Barkie123 is correct. Shift lock actuator or brake light switch is bad. When you depress the brake pedal, the brake light switch triggers the actuator. One of them is bad. You can bypass that actuator.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote