Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2023, 03:22 PM   #1

2021 Jayco Precept 34G Issue

I have a 2021 Jayco Precept 34G with 7300 miles on it. I am the 2nd owner and have driven it about 3000 of those miles. I am concerned about the suspension particularly on the passenger side. All the appliances (full-size fridge loaded with food and drinks), the Lp storage tank, the two house batteries, and all your clothes are located on the passenger side. When the RV is sitting on level concrete it appears to be very level, however, when driving the RV down a crowned road or taking a left turning curve the RV leans hard to the passenger side. When taking a right hand curve the RV stays much more level and does not lean. There is no doubt the RV is favoring the passenger side and both my wife and I can feel it as we go down the road. It feels very lopsided and unsafe. Now, throw in a crosswind to the drivers side and things get even more interesting. I took it to a heavy truck shop who checked the the suspension for broken or worn parts and they reported that suspension was working properly although they acknowledged the passenger side sponginess going down the road. Jayco does not seem to be aware of anyone else experiencing this issue and I have not been able to find a dealer who has a suggested aftermarket suspension kit. I am not sure where to turn next and am looking for suggestions.
map2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 05:13 PM   #2

Have you had all 4 corners weighed when fully loaded normal travel conditions?
Sanford Fl camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 09:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford Fl camper View Post
Have you had all 4 corners weighed when fully loaded normal travel conditions?
No I have not. Where can I do that?
Old 08-09-2023, 03:52 PM   #4
TJW

Mine leans too

I have '22 34G. It too leans to the passenger side. I share the same suspections i.e. lots of stuff on the super slide side + camp side stuff like blackstone, extra propane tank, chairs. Added washer/dryer combo unit, etc. I have had the coach weighted at Cat Scale and fully loaded the axle is slightly under weight limit. I have not had it 4-corner weighed. Have not found anywhere close to our travels to weigh 4-corners. I pay close attention to even loading and attempted to load heavy on the drivers side, but it did not have any effect.
I have rear sumo springs, SuperSteer trac bar, Koni FSD's. I even contacted Firestone Ride-Rite & Air Lift Air Springs in search of air spring leveling solution. But no air springs are available for the F53 chassis in my year/GVWR.
My suspension shop tells me they routinely install "shims" or add extra leaf spring on trucks like on fire trucks which have heavy aftermarket water tanks installed on one side. Shims can add height to the frame (might be the fix) and or extra leaf spring adds weight capacity. (Not looking fir more weight but they said it will reduce some sag.)
Our coach sets about 1.o" low on the pass. side and it bugs me to see it leaning.
Any ideas to level the coach?
7.3 L V8 (Godzilla), Toad: 2016 Jeep Willys, Magnum Pathfinder ebikes, Roadmaster 077-10 Dual hitch receiver, 2in & 10in. offsets, RV Rider Hitch bike rack, Blue Ox - Accent towbar, Saf-T-Plus steering stablizer, Koni FSD shocks (4), SuperSpring Sumosprings, SuperSteer Rear trac bar, SuperSteer front radius rods, TireMinder i10 RV, Garmin RV 785, Magna shades, Traeger Ranger
TJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 06:13 AM   #5

Thank you for your reply. Now I know I’m not dreaming about what I see and feel when driving this RV. I am disappointed that an owner needs to add on thousands of dollars of aftermarket parts to try to correct a design and manufacturing issue. I have exchanged emails with Jayco and they claim this is not a commonly reported issue. The Jayco dealers I have called do not have any know fixes or suggestions. My heavy truck shop says everything on the suspension is in tact, and that the unit is unbalanced (even when completely empty). Beefing up the passenger side with airbags to compensate doesn’t seem safe either and the truck shop agreed. If I were Jayco the liability and a common concern for the customers safety would bother me.
Old 08-11-2023, 09:29 PM   #6

Same problem

I have a 21 with the same problem. It's super frustrating. I was thinking of getting air bags but haven't done any research yet. Or selling it and buying something different
Njensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 09:28 PM   #7

My 2019 34-G was 3 inches lower on passages side. Showed pictures of height differences by yardstick. Got company to pay to have air bags installed
ih-nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 03:59 AM   #8

We have our 2021 Precept at Jayco now having 8 broken body mounts repaired.
We also had a list of other things for them to look at. The leaning to the passenger side is a lot on our unit as well. They are to check and see if it is within their tolerances.
Captain Jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaning, precept 34g, suspension, tippy