Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2021, 07:10 PM   #1

2021 Precept hot water heater question

Are they all coming in w/ the Girard tankless now? The brochure calls out a 10 gallon tank, however the 2 units I saw on my dealer’s lot have the Girard in them. Did Jayco make a change? The guy with the keys today didn’t know.

Mine is due off the line 6/2, supposedly. I’m wondering what I’m going to get.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:56 AM   #2

I don't know the answer to your question.... but if I had a choice, I'd have the tank over the tankless/instant hot water heater anyday!

1 key reason is the tank version can run on either/or both propane and electric.

Tankless/instant you have to use propane all the time (big user of the propane gas) and if you're at an RV site with Electric shore power (which you're paying for), you can't use the electric to have hot water.

A second reason is low water flow (gpm) will not heat the water properly.... I.e., on some, low flow will not ignite the propane. And on some, it won't maintain a constant water temp relative to low/med/high gpm water flow unless the unit has variable flame regulator like a good house unit (e.g., lower gpm = higher water temp vs high gpm = lower water temps)

Mark
Old 05-09-2021, 04:52 AM   #3

I ‘think’ what I saw on the unit was this one:

https://www.girardgroupcompanies.com...ater-heater-47

Apparently it monitors the water temp in addition to the flow rate.

*SNIP*
The onboard micro-processor monitors the incoming cold water temperature, the flow rate and the outgoing hot water temperature to maintain a constant, steady hot water flow.
*SNIP*

Old 05-09-2021, 06:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I ‘think’ what I saw on the unit was this one:

https://www.girardgroupcompanies.com...ater-heater-47

Apparently it monitors the water temp in addition to the flow rate.

*SNIP*
The onboard micro-processor monitors the incoming cold water temperature, the flow rate and the outgoing hot water temperature to maintain a constant, steady hot water flow.
*SNIP*
Perfect than.... but comment #1 still valid (for me anyway).
Good Luck,
Mark
Old 05-10-2021, 06:57 AM   #5

I agree, in the rigs I’ve had prior I’d run the HWH off of campground electric 90% of the time, only running the propane when somebody was actually showering. It’ll be interesting to see how the new Girard works out, if in fact I do end up w/ one of them.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I agree, in the rigs I’ve had prior I’d run the HWH off of campground electric 90% of the time, only running the propane when somebody was actually showering. It’ll be interesting to see how the new Girard works out, if in fact I do end up w/ one of them.
If you camp alot at CG with full hookups, you will like the tankless. We boondock 99.9% of the time and with the water heater location a tankless just would not work for us.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:27 AM   #7

We’re admittedly ‘glampers’. We don’t camp w/o full hookups ever.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:30 PM   #8

After having used our Girard for almost 4 years in our 2017 Precept 35S, we can definitely say that it has won a gold medal in the Sucks Olympics.

Undependable, regardless of water pressure, temp settings, water flow restrictor use and/or removal, etc., etc., etc. They say the Truma is much better, I don’t know.

What I do know is that I’d much rather have a propane/electrical one, especially in 10 gallons. The sad part is you can’t choose what you’d like to have from Jayco. Can get an after market Truma install and the painting of the door costs almost as much as the Truma.

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:37 PM   #9

I wonder if its the ‘current’ generation Girard. I had a Gen 1 in my 2015 Greyhawk and it was definitely touch and go. Hopefully they made some changes in 4 years; if I end up w/ one I’ll report back either way.

Or - maybe somebody else who has a recent rev Girard will chime in.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:53 AM   #10

FYI, mine is a Gen 2 in our 17 Precept 35S.

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:26 AM   #11

Ours sucks. Takes forever for hot water no matter how we tried. 2016 Precept 35S. Preferred our tank in our old Pacearrow.
ColW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 01:29 AM   #12

Our 2021 34G is tankless. I expected a 10 gallon tank. I’m not happy with the tankless. It froze during deer season. I’ve never had a water heater freeze before, someone told me the tankless have small pipes and freeze easily.
RobertB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 02:38 AM   #13

I worried about how to clear my tankless for the winter. It was my first go. So I opened it, pulled down that “chute” lever, and got some water out. Then I just closed it up and pumped the pink stuff through the system. Hope that’s good enough cause I’m heading from the east coast to the west tomorrow, but via Minnesota first to see family. At some point it’s bound to get colder than a well digger’s @ss. But I liked the first two times using it before winterization. It does have the electric or gas option for the warmer, but I’m not sure about for full use. Heated up well, except at low flow.
Old 12-18-2021, 06:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluztoo View Post
I worried about how to clear my tankless for the winter. It was my first go. So I opened it, pulled down that “chute” lever, and got some water out. Then I just closed it up and pumped the pink stuff through the system. Hope that’s good enough cause I’m heading from the east coast to the west tomorrow, but via Minnesota first to see family. At some point it’s bound to get colder than a well digger’s @ss. But I liked the first two times using it before winterization. It does have the electric or gas option for the warmer, but I’m not sure about for full use. Heated up well, except at low flow.
Can you tell me what the “chute lever” is? I blew out all my lines and disconnected the inlet and outlet lines on the water heater.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:34 PM   #15

My kids love the tankless, but they stay in RV parks with full hook up’s. We do a lot of boon docking and tankless uses a lot of water before the water is hot at the tap. It also froze up on us at high altitude. I’m looking into replacing ours with a 10 gallon tank.
RobertB is offline   Reply With Quote