Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2022, 07:13 PM   #1

Brake systems/options

We are exploring different toad options and I’ve only just started learning about this world.

I understand I’ll need a tow bar, baseplate, and a braking system on the car.

Which brings me to the brake system. I glanced quickly at eTrailer for an idea of what is available for my current 2014 Chevy Traverse which appears to be flat towable (per the Motohome dinghy towing guide). They offered 2 portable systems and a third system that utilizes air brakes in the motorhome. Being a v8 gasser, do the Precepts have air brakes?
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:04 AM   #2

We have a 2022 34G and tow a 2020 4x4 Ranger we have a RVI3 portable brake before our range we towed a jeep with our 2004 Winn we moved it over from one tow to the other. RVI is easy to hook up.
2022 36K7 GT 7 Georgetown
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4
US NAVY Retired
Tony p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony p View Post
We have a 2022 34G and tow a 2020 4x4 Ranger we have a RVI3 portable brake before our range we towed a jeep with our 2004 Winn we moved it over from one tow to the other. RVI is easy to hook up.
I was watching quite a few videos last night and the RVI3 definitely jumped out at me.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I was watching quite a few videos last night and the RVI3 definitely jumped out at me.
RVi3, good for us, 2020 Chevy Equinox.

#Bru_Tube

Alante31V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:48 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Welcome to the Jayco Forums, I remember you from either iRV2 or Forest River Forums, can't recall which. The Precept does not have air brakes. We use the RVI2 (older version) but the mechanics are exacly the same. I love it and its easy to put in and take out and customer service from them is amazing.

For tow bars, I currently have a Blue Ox Aventa, which works fine, but I was looking at the Demco Dominator. I like the fact that the bars support themselves, and the cable management is something I also like about it. eTrailer makes one just like it for alot less, just not as shiny.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
Welcome to the Jayco Forums, I remember you from either iRV2 or Forest River Forums, can't recall which. The Precept does not have air brakes. We use the RVI2 (older version) but the mechanics are exacly the same. I love it and its easy to put in and take out and customer service from them is amazing.

For tow bars, I currently have a Blue Ox Aventa, which works fine, but I was looking at the Demco Dominator. I like the fact that the bars support themselves, and the cable management is something I also like about it. eTrailer makes one just like it for alot less, just not as shiny.
Yep, should have been FRF that you're remembering me from. Over on iRV2, I used a different user name but don't have a whole lot of posts there.

Thanks for the input on the air brakes. I figured as much, but thought I'd ask.

And I like that RVi brake systems have gotten consistent high regards.

Thanks for the Demco/eTrailer suggestions, too.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:17 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Biggest selling point for me with the RVI is the time to deploy. I've never owned anything else, but i've see alot of others that are electrically actuated and aside from being very bulky, they take a couple seconds to deploy. That's a long time in a panic braking situation... My RVI2 is going strong, but if it every quits (knock on wood), i'll be looking te repair it or replace it with a 3.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake system, v8 gas