Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2021, 01:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
+2, The 5-star tune was one of the best upgrades I have done for mine. Not so much for the extra power, but for the better transmission shifting control (mine is the 5 speed transmission). The RV now stays in high gear much more often, doesn't shift down to 3rd so quickly like it used to, (it would drop to third and rev super high rpms with just a little too much throttle 5th to 3rd). I can now stay in high gear for almost all of my travels and when in the mountains the downshifts are much more controlled and much smoother overall. ~CA
Question.... Have you had to take it through CA smog check yet with the 5* tune?. I am worried they will 'update' the ECM to the latest OEM tune thereby locking me out of the 5* tune, forcing me to purchase another one. I wold rather take the 5 minutes to return the tune to stock for the smog then re-install.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
Question.... Have you had to take it through CA smog check yet with the 5* tune?. I am worried they will 'update' the ECM to the latest OEM tune thereby locking me out of the 5* tune, forcing me to purchase another one. I wold rather take the 5 minutes to return the tune to stock for the smog then re-install.
CA as in California or Canada? In any case, it doesn't matter where as I have not gone through any smog checks. I would agree with you though and simply revert the ecm back to stock prior to having a smog check, in addition I would not allow anyone to update my ecm except for me (with the 5Star tune) or Ford themselves. I would also bet that 5-Star tuning people would take care of you if you called them and explained you already are a customer but can no longer install the tune for whatever the reason was. I purchased mine directly through them so they have my purchase information... I hope. ~CA
Old 04-19-2021, 01:53 PM   #23

You are spot on correct, I had to take my Alante in to Ford for some warranty work (AC dryer failed), so tried to revert to OEM tune, and due to a glitch in the last tuner update it failed. 5Star sent my a new update as well as a new tune due to Ford flashing an 'update' when I took it in.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:31 PM   #24

Craigav, I agree. Additionally, since the torque converter is lockec sooner the heat generated by the TQ is reduced making it more pleasant for my wife riding in the passenger seat.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:26 PM   #25

5Star tuner

Huge difference. I have a 2016 Alante 30. Did some short trips around the hilly areas in my area. Installed a Banks cold air intake, with the 5 Star tune...what a huge difference. Much more power, especially pulling the long steep hills. Just returned from a PA to Colorado trip. Worth every penny....but sadly, gonna dump some cash into some major suspension work, sway bars, etc.
Banksville is offline   Reply With Quote