Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-27-2021, 05:33 PM   #1

A/C while driving?

Newbie Rv'rs here! In a 2022 Alante 29F Blanking on the demo (really should have taken a video!) we're in Florida and it's hotter than hell. Is there a way to have the A/c running? I know I've read the start up pulls a lot of power. A way to have it hooked up while moving so those of us in the back are t roasting? Thank you all! ❤️
Shan1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 05:57 PM   #2

Fire up the generator and cool away.
Old 12-27-2021, 06:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan1331 View Post
Newbie Rv'rs here! In a 2022 Alante 29F Blanking on the demo (really should have taken a video!) we're in Florida and it's hotter than hell. Is there a way to have the A/c running? I know I've read the start up pulls a lot of power. A way to have it hooked up while moving so those of us in the back are t roasting? Thank you all! ❤️
You can run the generator while moving (You have a 4000 watt model.), and that will power both A/C's. According to Jayco's site, your Alante is equipped with a Power Management System (PMS). The PMS will manage your amp draw regardless of what's running, including both A/C's. The PMS will also control the start-up draw.

And drink lots of water so you don't dehydrate.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 06:26 PM   #4
CAG

If there was anyplace that we might need that it is here, and I have never used it. The vehicle air keeps is cool enough when traveling in 110F+. Waste of gas is my thought.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 07:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
Fire up the generator and cool away.
Thank you! I will have to do that!
Old 12-27-2021, 07:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
If there was anyplace that we might need that it is here, and I have never used it. The vehicle air keeps is cool enough when traveling in 110F+. Waste of gas is my thought.
It's cool in the front but for some reason it's very hot even in the couch section! Not sure why that might be?
Old 12-27-2021, 07:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
You can run the generator while moving (You have a 4000 watt model.), and that will power both A/C's. According to Jayco's site, your Alante is equipped with a Power Management System (PMS). The PMS will manage your amp draw regardless of what's running, including both A/C's. The PMS will also control the start-up draw.

And drink lots of water so you don't dehydrate.
Thank you! I've heard it's the start up power that is really the biggest draw. So was wondering if anyone used the generator to fire it up and then the house batteries to keep it going?
Old 12-27-2021, 08:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Thank you! I've heard it's the start up power that is really the biggest draw. So was wondering if anyone used the generator to fire it up and then the house batteries to keep it going?
House batteries will only power the 12 volt stuff unless you have a heck of a battery bank and big inverter. AC is only going to operate from shore power or generator.
Old 12-28-2021, 02:34 AM   #9

Quote:
If the passengers riding in the coach are uncomfortable it's not a waste of gas. Also, the high humidity in Florida is the what creates the discomfort. I'm more comfortable outside in Las Vegas when it's close to 100 than I am in Florida when it's 90.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 08:49 AM   #10
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
If the passengers riding in the coach are uncomfortable it's not a waste of gas. Also, the high humidity in Florida is the what creates the discomfort. I'm more comfortable outside in Las Vegas when it's close to 100 than I am in Florida when it's 90.
I have not noticed it being that hot in the back here and if you think it is a dry heat here(and LV) during Monsoon come give it a try.

If you want to run it go for it.

Old 12-30-2021, 12:29 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Quote:

Class A vs Class C, big difference in being able to cool the driving area. Glad yours does, but alot of the Class A do not keep it anywhere close to cool enough without the generator and overhead ACs supplementing the chassis air.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 02:46 PM   #12
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
Class A vs Class C, big difference in being able to cool the driving area. Glad yours does, but alot of the Class A do not keep it anywhere close to cool enough without the generator and overhead ACs supplementing the chassis air.

I am assuming from your comments that you have owned and driven both but someone might have to explain to me why a 31 foot A could be any different in A/C operation and cooling than a 31 foot C. Maybe there is some physics I am not aware of.

I probably should have clarified that it does get warm in the back of mine but it is not unbearable to the point of running the overhead A/C. Perhaps his does and if he needs it he should run it. I don't, that was my take on it so perhaps we can move on now.

Old 12-30-2021, 02:58 PM   #13

Quote:
I am assuming from your comments that you have owned and driven both but someone might have to explain to me why a 31 foot A could be any different in A/C operation and cooling than a 31 foot C. Maybe there is some physics I am not aware of.

I probably should have clarified that it does get warm in the back of mine but it is not unbearable to the point of running the overhead A/C. Perhaps his does and if he needs it he should run it. I don't, that was my take on it so perhaps we can move on now.
He is probably referring to the large areas of glass and bigger cab areas of a Class A that let more heat in.
Old 12-30-2021, 03:04 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
[QUOTE=CAG;1019024]I am assuming from your comments that you have owned and driven both but someone might have to explain to me why a 31 foot A could be any different in A/C operation and cooling than a 31 foot C. Maybe there is some physics I am not aware of. [/QOUTE]

Certainly a difference in quality of build with the Class C having the AC components installed at the Ford Factory vs the Class A at the Jayco factory. I know the AC ducting and connections i've seen in the Class As are not the same quality of connection/sealing as the Ford Factory Air systems leading to inefficiency.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:25 PM   #15
CAG

Quote:
Class A at the Jayco factory

That probably tells the whole story!

Old 01-01-2022, 04:48 PM   #16

I asked this same question when i first got my Class A. The cab AC cant cool the cab, never mind the rest of the coach.
I got the answer i wanted to hear and have been driving with generator on, cab and both coach acs on high ever since. Np in +100 heat so far and no issues.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:02 PM   #17

Quote:
It's cool in the front but for some reason it's very hot even in the couch section! Not sure why that might be?
The cab AC is not meant to cool the rear. Anyone that says it works just fine for them just has a higher tolerance to the heat. Don't try to diagnose a problem that isn't there based on one persons opinion.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:25 PM   #18

We have a different model but we found a lot of road heat coming in through the vent under the refrigerator. When we got in there to look we found that there was no insulation around the heat vent and other lines coming up from under the coach. We stuffed insulation into the space around the vent and it greatly reduced the heat in the couch and dining area. We travel with dogs who ride in that area and at times still have to start up the generator and turn on the air when it is extremely hot out.
CatheyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 01:45 PM   #19

Quote:

Just a plug for those AC flow mods getting tossed around these days. It used to get unbearably hot in the back of our C (a 31FK). Like almost 100*F. While driving, dash AC on max.

I 3D printed those baffles that Rustynuts designed and they seemed to have helped immensely!!!

To anyone who thinks their unit is still hot with the AC(s) running, I'd suggest looking into these things!!
Old 01-05-2022, 03:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Drive NORTH it is -22 on Thursday here that should help
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#ac #alante #help