Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2020, 07:56 AM   #1

A leak I can't seem to stop

I can't seem to fix this window leak. It happened a few camping trips ago. The two windows on my Jayco 31UL stick out a little past the side of the vehicle so I applied a bead of silicone across the entire top (marked on the picture), and yet I still found the middle track full of water and a damp towel on the window ledge. The TV pops up out of that ledge too.

Is there some other way the water is getting in? It also happens above my driver's side window (which is not a slide out). It seems to drip right in the middle where the seam of the window frame is, but I also applied silicone above that window.

Has anyone had this problem and know the solution?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1035.jpg   IMG_1037.jpg  
xraymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraymiller View Post
I can't seem to fix this window leak. It happened a few camping trips ago. The two windows on my Jayco 31UL stick out a little past the side of the vehicle so I applied a bead of silicone across the entire top (marked on the picture), and yet I still found the middle track full of water and a damp towel on the window ledge. The TV pops up out of that ledge too.

Is there some other way the water is getting in? It also happens above my driver's side window (which is not a slide out). It seems to drip right in the middle where the seam of the window frame is, but I also applied silicone above that window.

Has anyone had this problem and know the solution?

I'm familiar with the window and type. Long single piece across the top and two smaller pieces below it that open outward on the bottom. Is your window single pane or double (insulated)? You mentioned the water gathering in the middle. Does water leak down the glass to the middle or just appear there? Is it possible this is condensation or is it raining when this happens? Do you use any kind of dehumidifiers in your rig? What kind of volume of water are you talking about? A tiny bit or a couple ounces worth? What do you mean the "tv" pops out of that ledge? Are you running a coaxial cable out of the window?

Note: Most rigs have a coax hookup on the outside for cable tv. If you're running a satellite antenna, you could hook it up there instead of through a window.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:18 AM   #3

Pretty sure it's single pane. The frame is about an inch wide and we have seen it drip from the inside of the pane, but it is unclear if it is coming out around the lip of the frame or the seem or somewhere else.

It leaks a lot when it rains, like a constant drip that fills that middle track and then overflows dripping on the ledge. The dinette has the TV that pops up out of the ledge so if we don't put a towel down the water can easily drip down on the TV. When I went in today after a rainy night, the middle track of the window was full of water and the bath towel we placed on the ledge was considerably damp (like heavy damp).

I wouldn't say it leaks down the glass. I would say it drips from the inside of the frame. We do have an electric dehumidifier in there. Nothing runs out of the window, beside the windows that open are on the lower half and the leak is at the top.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:58 AM   #4

We had a leak in our bedroom window, the middle of the frame filled with water. Dealership never found the problem. Then we noticed the walls were getting "pock marks" all over the place. And the storage area was collecting water - again, no noticeable entrance. On a campout, we left the awning out and sure enough the storage area had water. Further investigation found there was a small hole just above the awning that allowed the water in. The dealership never found it although they inspected everything, including the roof - don't believe they really inspected as well as they said. Fixed and no more water.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:19 PM   #5

I caulked some more around the window frame outside, but the rain came and so did the leak. I made a little video to show what's going on.

Old 09-12-2020, 04:26 PM   #6
CAG

You may also want to reconsider silicone on the outside of the RV. Without diverting this thread, just look up the best caulks for the outside of your RV. Good luck find this leak, they are annoying.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:38 PM   #7

I caulked around the window on the outside. What outside are you referring to? There is a substantial amount of water intrusion so there has to be a decent size entry point.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:44 PM   #8

With someone inside the RV, do a light / easy controlled water spray with the hose until it starts leaking. Don't spray the whole window at once, only spray small sections at a time. be sure to give each section a few minutes before spraying the next. It often takes a few minutes for the water to show up / make it's way inside.

Norab
Old 09-13-2020, 04:19 PM   #9

I thought about that, but in Florida it's been raining everyday. I bought some 3" RV Sealant tape and I plan to replace the tape that is there as soon as the weather is better. that means I have to slide off the fabric topper to do a good job. I just changed them out last year so I know how to do it.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:30 PM   #10

I had the slide in and we had another bad rain storm today. I checked and I couldn't find any water in the track or around the frame. That certainly seems to indicate that the leak is not associated with the window or window frame. Now I just have to wait for some good weather to install the sealant tape.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:37 PM   #11

The water is coming in above the window into the wall assembly and hits the top of the window frame and comes in. Look at the roof or slide roof above.
JDooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:30 AM   #12

I would use a tarp and a roll of duct tape and do the process of elimination. I would duct tape the tarp to the roof of the slide out and drape it over the front and then during a rain storm if it doesn’t leak that will tell you the problem is probably in the window or the seam at the top of the slideout roof. If it does leak that rules out the window. I would then use the same process, tape the tarp to the side wall of the trailer and let it drip over the slide out. That would eliminate the slide out as a possible leak. Etc. etc. Good Luck

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:48 AM   #13

When water testing use minimal water pressure. Start at bottom and work your way up slowly allowing water to hit area at least 15 minutes then go up a b and go in steps
When leak is created drop down and go again. It takes Time for the water to create a hydraulic path through the wall and into the motor home once that is done you should be able to stop and start to leak and there a way in and identify where it's coming from.

Don't ask me how I know but time and or pressure mother nature always wins
JDooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:44 PM   #14

Had a 27 foot tt with a water leak problem. I created a positive air pressure on the inside. Then I got soapy water in spray bottle and went to work outside. Wasn't to long and bubbles began to appear! Found leak and repaired.
When told how to us positive pressure on such a large object I was skeptical! It worked. Even had the power company do our house, a little different they used negative inside pressure and used smoke.

PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:47 PM   #15

XRayMiller: Did you ever find the source of the leak and fix?

PaulB12: How did you "overpressure" the RV please.
hopnhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:17 PM   #16

I haven't had a good test of it yet, but I took it to Camping World down the road. There's not a lot of choices in my area. Anyway, they tried to say the seal around the window was bad. I asked how it it the window does not leak when the slide was in? They did more "tests" if that's what you call guessing and said the slide rooms seals needed to be changed.

I love when you ask, how long is the work warranty good for, meaning if you say you've fixed the problem, I should not see any leaks for at least how long, and they can't give you a straight answer. I feel like if it leaks tomorrow they'll say, well, you must have done something our secret warranty doesn't cover.

So the answer is, I still don't know. I may have to test it with a hose.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:20 AM   #17

X_Miller,
Based on reading the entire thread, it's not the window. It's the roof and/or seal around the rood and the outside of the pop-out.

Here's my opinion:
  1. Clean the entire roof and outside trim on the pop-out. Take a plastic putty knife and remove all the original sealant (Dicor) and sealant tape. The only left remaining would be the rubber roof material and the actual trim. Once all this "sealant" is removed.... clean again with mineral spirits and towel dry. Then clean again with 70% rubbing alcohol and dry. Look at your towel... do you see any dirt/mold, etc on it? If yes, clean again and again until your towel is clean.
  2. Make sure the wood roof under the rubber roof membrane is dry and not rotted. Any slight dampness needs to be removed/dried completely... a heat gun or hair dryer can help accelerate this drying process.
  3. Once all clean and dry.... reverse the sealant and tape removal process and apply new sealant tape followed by a good layer of Dicor self leveling sealant.
Last three comments:
  • 1. if any of the trim is removable, remove and inspect... water could be getting in behind it. Same process as above... clean, dry, reseal the reattach the trim.
  • 2. watch several good youtube videos on removing and reapplying new sealant and tape. No Silicon on roof... use the dicor just like the factory uses.
  • 3. if the roof/pop-out was leaking, chances are other areas of the roof may be leaking.... so clean, inspect and fix as appropriate. Based on the dirt/mold I saw on our pop-out roof in your video, it appears you're not cleaning and conditioning it. Consider a rubber roof treatment (after a cleaning) and apply Aerospace 303 UV conditioner every month or so. I just pour in on the roof, attach a cotton wash cloth to a Swiffter mop and spread the 303 all around... on the roof, fiberglass, plastic A/C and vent covers.... everything.

Good luck,
Mark
Old 12-09-2020, 08:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopnhic View Post
XRayMiller: Did you ever find the source of the leak and fix?

PaulB12: How did you "overpressure" the RV please.
Quite simple, although maybe labor intensive.
I have a vac that moves about 800 cubic feet of air per minute. Rigged the exhaust side to an opening INTO the tt and turned on. Waited and then started with the soapy water in spray bottle. Went to my areas of concern first and waited. Soon I was seeing air bubbles like you would testing a tire for leaks.
You could use a couple of shop vacs or a good squirrel cage fan for the positive pressure.
Or, you could pay someone to do it. There is a commercial machine that is used I think on the roof through one of the vents, cost of machine is about $5000.00.(looked it up on the i-net)
I did find my leaks.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:39 AM   #19

One more dumb question: what's a "tt"?
hopnhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopnhic View Post
One more dumb question: what's a "tt"?
Travel Trailer