Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2019, 01:11 PM   #1

Best oil to use

I have a 2017 Alante with a Ford V10 Gas engine. I am getting ready to change the oil for the first time, and could anyone here suggest the best oil for these engines.

thanks
Don
dmccor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccor1 View Post
I have a 2017 Alante with a Ford V10 Gas engine. I am getting ready to change the oil for the first time, and could anyone here suggest the best oil for these engines.

thanks
Don
Always a point of possible contention. When we had our Class "C" on the E-450 I always used Ford Branded Oil and Ford filters. If they made the engine they should know what's best. Just my 2 cents. Did the same when we had our KODIAK SENECA, always GM oil and filters, oil and fuel.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:11 PM   #3

I've been using Valvoline in everything I own since I was a kid.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:43 PM   #4

MOBIL 1.... that's all I use in every gasoline engine I own except the onan generator on our unit. I also use filters made by the whatever brand vehicle they are in. I've put over 250K miles on several vehicles without a hiccup.
1955farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 05:26 PM   #5

I'm using the Ford semi synthetic and filter available at walmart that Ford specifies. I change yearly @5000 miles.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 05:12 PM   #6

How do you do oil change

How do you do oil change On a Alante thank you for any help
blackoctaupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:34 PM   #7
CAG

What does your owner's manual suggest? That is what you should be using. I am firm believer in synthetic and if your manufacturer allows that, use it. The days of dyno oil, and 3000 mile changes went out with spats.

There are some who are of the "oil is oil" belief and that is pretty much true except between dyno and synthetic. I have used Amsoil for many years and believe that it is one of the best but it is not the only oil out there. Go with what the manufacturer suggests as to weight and then pick a brand that you like. I have researched Costco's new additions and am slowing changing over.

Do what makes you happy. Oil is Oil for the most part.

And BTW, this is one of those questions like, which truck, which oil, and a whole list of other "which" questions that are personal preferences. What you like may not be what I like!

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:37 PM   #8
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
I've been using Valvoline in everything I own since I was a kid.

Might want to do some research with that one. I used Valvoline for many years including their filters, until some research was done, and they went downhill. I have not checked lately but not too long ago their quality control and products were in the dump.

Old 10-09-2021, 06:49 PM   #9

I have been a user and seller of oils and started with Phillips 66 after college.
Conventional oil is great and has gotten better over the years due to better additives. It will break down due to high temperatures faster. A V-10 under heavy load may cause breakdown. Synthetics have a higher tolerance for extreme temperatures but are otherwise oil with additives just like conventional oil. Make sure you get the right weight and the right type. Oil bottles (almost said cans) have some letters. You want the same letters as on the Ford oil and exactly the same weight. The other letters on the bottle indicate it can fit several categories. The weight (example 0w20, 10W30, etc.) is probably on the oil fill lid, on a sticker or in your book.

Not sure of the weight but I think you want a GF-5 type oil.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:21 PM   #10

Ask 10 “Car Guys “ and you will get 10 different answers. I use a name brand synthetic oil with a mid grade name brand filter in everything I own and have never had any issues. I do all the maintenance my owners manual specifies when it says to do so. Nothing more or nothing less. I keep my vehicles for a long time and have never had any issues. One tip - the best (cheapest place to buy name brands) place to purchase oil is Walmart or over the internet.
DonC757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:42 AM   #11

Over the last 50 years, I have used almost every brand, only bad one I ever found was the old Amalie oil. Otherwise pick one of the correct viscosity and stay with it. Synthetic is best, but I still change every 5,000 miles, easy to keep track of. They say 15,000 miles on synthetics, I don’t trust that. Oil is too cheap to not change it.
Old 10-11-2021, 05:26 AM   #12

Build date prior to 1/1/16 - 5W-30 Motorcraft Synthetic blend. After that date, 5W-20 Synthetic blend. 7 qts. I use what the manufacturer built the engine around. Of course, there are others that make darn good oils but I'm a factory guy. At least until I have a reason not to be.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:53 AM   #13

Not really necessary to use the Ford brand oil, unless you just want to pay the extra cost for it. Any major brand is as good. In fact, if you take it in to the Ford dealer for an oil change, there is a good chance that they are using bulk oil of some brand from a 55 gallon drum and each time you go in, that brand may not be the same. Ford does not make Oil, a major manufacturer makes the oil and puts the Ford label on it. Did not mean to bust your bubble. Bulk oil is much cheaper for Ford and guess what, all dealers want to go the cheaper route and profit as much as possible from service. I am with you on using the Ford OEM oil filters. They are the best you can get. I just like picking an oil for the first oil change and never deviate from it. That’s why I never accept their free oil changes, because you as the customer will never know what they used.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:08 AM   #14

We use ONLY Motorcraft oil.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:13 AM   #15

If your a dealer, I bet not all do. Can you show me where Ford made that oil?
Old 10-12-2021, 09:22 AM   #16
CAG

A few years back Amsoil sued Harley Davidson and won. HD told owners that only their oil could be used in their bikes or the owner took a chance of them not covering engine damage. HD doesn’t manufacture oil anyway. It is just a container with their name on it.

Magnuson-Moss Warrenty Act

Old 10-12-2021, 09:24 AM   #17
CAG

These oil discussions are right up there with the What tire should I buy or, What truck should I buy.

Old 10-12-2021, 10:11 AM   #18

I have read up on the differences between different motor oils, even the differences between the oils from the same manufacture. For example there are proven reasons why "Mobil 1™ Extended Performance" is better than "Mobil 1" regular oil. Those differences are specifically related to how long (miles and time) that the oil can best protect the engine.

So, if you are an RV'r who drives many thousands of miles each year (~7500+) then the "Extended Performance" has proven value, on the other hand for those of us who drive less miles (2~3000) a year then the extended life performance has less benefit.

My recommendation is to use what the manufacture recommends for most all cases, or if not, then a better oil, never use any oil that is of less quality (or unknown quality). Keep in mind that perhaps even more important (assuming you use a quality oil) is to change it at the intervals (or sooner) recommended by the engine manufacture. ~CA

btw, an additional thought, many years back I had an F150 V8 and a TT that was not hard to pull. After crossing the Rockies with running the engine under a much higher load than normal and for many miles, when I checked the oil at the end of the day it was black and you could smell that it wasn't the same (I had changed it prior to the trip), I changed it the very next day.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
If your a dealer, I bet not all do. Can you show me where Ford made that oil?
I am a dealer and no, not all do. But for warranty purposes, Ford makes us use Motorcraft. We have several other aftermarket oils we use on used vehicles and other makes. We work on all vehicle makes so we need specific oils for specific applications. But if you bring your 6.7 diesel in for an oil change, it's a FL-2051-S filter and 13 quarts of Motorcraft 10W30 diesel oil. Customers are more than welcome to bring their own oil, we don't have a problem with that. To answer your question, Ford manufactures their own oil.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I am a dealer and no, not all do. But for warranty purposes, Ford makes us use Motorcraft. We have several other aftermarket oils we use on used vehicles and other makes. We work on all vehicle makes so we need specific oils for specific applications. But if you bring your 6.7 diesel in for an oil change, it's a FL-2051-S filter and 13 quarts of Motorcraft 10W30 diesel oil. Customers are more than welcome to bring their own oil, we don't have a problem with that. To answer your question, Ford manufactures their own oil.
It was always my understanding that Conoco-Phillips produced Motorcraft oils, of course based on Ford's specifications\requirements. Manufacturing motor oil to me means owning refineries and with that in mind, does Motorcraft own the refinery(s) or simply have a partnership with Conoco-Phillips to refine and blend the oils to Motorcraft specs? Just curious not that I suppose it matters really. Thanks ~CA