Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2020, 10:19 AM   #1
Njg

7.3 liter gas engine

Anydody having problems with Fords new engine. Mine has gone thru 4 spark plugs and 4 spark plug wires. Requested Ford replace all wires as there is a problem. Was told only failed wire could be replaces
Njg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:46 AM   #2

Ours 2020 alante 29s went in for a ford recall for wires and plugs before we could pick it up
Deburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:48 AM   #3

There is another thread on here, said his coils are on back order for several months. We used to hit a lot of amusement parks, but never rode the new ride the first year.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:52 AM   #4

Yes,,,Big Problem,,,2020 F450 7.3 engine V-8 Gas ,King Ranch..mine was 1 week old 300 miles, 2 spark plug wires failed.Dealer said no parts are available anywhere in the USA because Ford has a shortage at the assembly plant. Ford says approximately 3 month wait till Dealer can get parts. I told them they are crazy as as a Lunatic. If they thought I was going to wait that long on a Brand New Truck that cost this much. No replacement trucks are available at any Dealers. I told dealer to give me My old truck back and keep the new truck . I would wait till 2021 model year. He said he could not do that. I called Ford Motor Credit . Explained the situation to them and told them what I wanted to do . They said to let them check on what I had told them and they would get back with me. When they called me back 4 hrs later they said due to No parts available problem Go back to the Dealer and he will give me my old truck back . And my Loan Paperwork would be Voided out and I would get a copy of it . They said this could all be done due to I never made a payment on the Truck and the Nationwide Parts Problem that exists. NEVER GIVE UP STAND YOUR GROUND ,,BOW UP IF NECESSARY. And YES when they have solved this Parts Problem I will buy a 2021 model.....Good Luck with your problem.. Florida has a Lemon Law also....
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
Yes,,,Big Problem,,,2020 F450 7.3 engine V-8 Gas ,King Ranch..mine was 1 week old 300 miles, 2 spark plug wires failed.Dealer said no parts are available anywhere in the USA because Ford has a shortage at the assembly plant. Ford says approximately 3 month wait till Dealer can get parts. .
So this "IS" a FORD problem contrary to a what FORD service tech told a MH owner.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #6

YES,,,,,It is a Ford Problem. Very good engine, Ford has a parts problem due to Vender supply /Covid-19 problems at Vender companies.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:05 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
YES,,,,,It is a Ford Problem. Very good engine, Ford has a parts problem due to Vender supply /Covid-19 problems at Vender companies.

So, Ford sourcing their parts from China wasn't such a good idea?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:44 PM   #8

Not made in China,,,made in USA but USA vendor/supplier is running behind due to employees being sick. I think we are going to see this from all Automotive related vendors.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:42 PM   #9
Njg

THe extra wire I have says it is made in Mexico. I have been looking for other failures to see if it is only a RV problem. California lemon law gives Ford 4 chances to fix the problem according to my Ford owners manual. Mine has been fixed 3 times. First time cylinder 3 and 4 spark plugs. Second time cylinders 3 and 4. Third time cylinder 7.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:55 PM   #10

I was lucky that my 2020 F450 was only a week old. And that Ford Motor Credit agreed with me on taking truck back. Your are lucky that the dealer had the parts. Because as of last Tuesday there were no plug wires available, according to 3 different Dealers I contacted..
Old 08-09-2020, 04:41 PM   #11

I've seen several other posts on other forums over this same issue. It looks like it could be a widespread problem. Makes me wonder if they tried to save some money and eliminated those heat shields they use to have.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:38 PM   #12

All my work was done before delivery salesman said wires plugs and something. Friend of are order one and it’s sitting at the ford shop waiting for parts they said maybe a week maybe 3 weeks or more. Got there payment book on time.
Deburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:59 PM   #13

@deburn I'm about to purchase a 2021 alante 31v with the new v8 engine. i have a deposit on it with potential pick up next weekend. Has your v8 exhibited any other issues after having the wires replaced? I can still back out of the deal so thank you for your insight, input.
iconalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:39 PM   #14
Njg

ENgine ran great Southern California to Astoria Oregon. Latest problem started about 20 miles north of Coos Bay Oregon. Limped into Eureka California where I got it fixed. The rest of the trip home it ran great. I got the same gas mileage as my 2016 Precept from last year weighing 2500 poundsless than the new one, 8.3 mpg. I like the motor home if Ford gets the problem solved quickly fixed
Old 08-10-2020, 07:15 PM   #15

There are 2 plug wires available at the Sonoma,Ca. Ford dealer as of 2pm cst today.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:02 PM   #16

If you file lemon, make sure to do it as soon as possible and document mileage from the first visit for the fix. The first visit is extremely important as this is what the lemon law uses to calculate value - mileage on car when first repair attempt made. I went through this with a car recently (Honda Pilot). I went to have the issue fixed 4 times over 4 months and I was still having the issue soon after driving off from the dealer. Filed lemon and the initial response from Honda was slow. Believe it was 3 weeks. Dealer service stopped responding to calls right after I filed. As soon as Honda America responded (3 weeks later), it was relatively quick, techs flew in from out of state with parts to fix the issue and it hasn't happened again. Honda also provided a nice settlement check to 'remove' the lemon claim (via lemon claim you have up to 1 year for the issue to come up again before they have to buy the car back with a per mileage deduction when the issue first occurred). Note that even if you've been 4, 5, 6+ times, the manufacturer has a 'last repair attempt' before the manufacturer has to buy the vehicle back. So the sooner its filed, the less times you have to go for repair. In my case, even though I'd been 4 times, I had to go back again before I could request the vehicle buy back.

I'm in GA so laws may be a little different, but once you get lemon rolling in my experience is you get the attention needed AND have a way legally out with little deduction off what you paid.

I'm sure Ford will get this fixed, but if you have trips planned or concerned it may not get fixed, you will get attention must faster by filing.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:51 PM   #17

This is exactly why I never buy a “new” or first production year vehicle...let others deal with the initial run of problems. Hope y’all get everything taken care of...way too much money for significant problems before the first oil change...
Old 08-10-2020, 11:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njg View Post
ENgine ran great Southern California to Astoria Oregon. Latest problem started about 20 miles north of Coos Bay Oregon. Limped into Eureka California where I got it fixed. The rest of the trip home it ran great. I got the same gas mileage as my 2016 Precept from last year weighing 2500 poundsless than the new one, 8.3 mpg. I like the motor home if Ford gets the problem solved quickly fixed
thanks for the feedback.
iconalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
So this "IS" a FORD problem contrary to a what FORD service tech told a MH owner.
I have been supporting Detroit for over 60 years and have come to the conclusion that the entire industry, from the top of the food chain to the bottom of the food chain, is a liars lair.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:29 PM   #20

Alante 29f

We have a 2020 Alante 29f with a little over 5,000 miles and no problems, at least not with the motor. It has the V10 engine, guess we lucked out.
russellmania01 is offline   Reply With Quote