Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #11

Thanks for all the info on operating propane while driving. We ran the furnace, fridge and water heater while driving with no problems. I think the key is they are all electronic ignition so if they don't start the gas stops flowing. But all went well as we were warm, had hot water and frozen ice cream.

HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:22 PM   #12

Surely, in most cases, the flame is outside the body of the vehicle (aside from the stove/hob, obviously)... so the hazard is not inside, but out.

You may be very careful filling up, and your heater/fridge might be on the other side from your gas cap, but... if the person filling up on that side of you, is careless or accident-prone, and there's a fuel spill, you will have a vapour cloud, wafting by your open flame...

If the ensuing investigation reveals that you had a flame burning on the forecourt of a gas station, then I'm pretty sure your insurance company will leave you high and dry.

There are places (usually tunnels) where you are not allowed to take a particular route if you have any propane on board at all... even if it's turned off or disconnected.
I've seen RV's pulled over, near Baltimore, so the troopers can inspect them for gas bottles.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:20 PM   #13

I run it for my refrigerator, we lost a lot of food going to Las Vegas think I can run it off of my battery, want do that again so we at least run the refrigerator. It don't take long for the water heater to heat up.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:57 AM   #14

Always learning something new here, thanks. My dealer told me it is against the law to drive with propane on. Do all refrigerators work with just the battery. I thought propane had to be on. DW is wondering, I even read the manuals and have missed this one.

travelingjw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
Always learning something new here, thanks. My dealer told me it is against the law to drive with propane on. Do all refrigerators work with just the battery. I thought propane had to be on. DW is wondering, I even read the manuals and have missed this one.
There were some RV refrigerators that could run from a 12VDC battery source only, but most require 12VDC for their electronics and propane or 120VAC for cooling.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:47 AM   #16

Fridge only, and nothing else.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote