Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2022, 04:53 PM   #1

Carefree of Colorado Ascent Slide Topper Failure

2018 Jayco Precept 35s - Living room slide was sticking going out over the weekend, broke free and fully extended. On outside examination I found that the Ascent slide topper had completely pulled away from the awning rail on the RV, fabric rolled up onto the roller tube and the rubber insert remained in the RV awning rail.

Have removed the assembly and thoroughly examined the roller tube, the end caps and the spring, all appear to be fine. I removed the damaged fabric from the roller tube. The stitching around the rubber insert pulled apart.

This is a pretty simple mechanism, and I understand how it works, how to re-tension the spring, how to re-attach the roller tube and how to attach the fabric.

I ordered a new awning fabric, but I sure would like to know what bound up the slide topper and stopped it from extending normally and ripped the fabric from the RV awning rail.

Anybody have any ideas?
GerryB54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 06:44 AM   #2

Had the same thing on my living room slide happening to me last week on my 35S 2018.
Could you tell me where you ordered the fabric. Also how do you re-tension the spring, I guess it is simple, or?
I will fix this in the spring as my RV is already winterized and stored away for this season.
Also, I looked at the other two slide toppers and the stiches don't look very healthy. The topper is very tied. No room for flexing. Looks like that they are the next to go. Thanks
Sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 08:23 AM   #3

I ordered the fabric from http://www.toughtopawnings.com They have very good videos for the Ascent fabric removal and replacement. Cheaper than Carefree and they claim their stitching is superior to what Carefree uses.

Carefree of Colorado has a service manual for the Ascent slide topper that describes everything. https://www.e-carefree.com/ecarefree30/product-library You need to confirm you have the Ascent model awning. According to the document you put 11 counterclockwise turns on the right hand awning end (the end with the spring) for this 165" length. You use a 3/8" ratchet and extension and have someone hold the dead end of the roller tube. Once the 11 turns are applied, you pin the awning end with the spring with a cotter pin or a nail to keep the tension on.

You ultimately attach the new fabric to the awning rail of the RV and the roller tube you have sitting on top of the extended slide. You then roll up the excess fabric, remount the roller tube into the ends, install the retainer washer and screw on each end, then remove the pin. Let the fabric roll up tight. You need two ladders and a helper.

Sounds more complicated than it is...it's a very simple mechanism. Just be careful if your awning and roller tube is still under tension. Mine was not since after it separated from the RV it rolled up completely around the roller tube.

Sorry to hear you are winterized already. My two bedroom slideout toppers show the same signs of fatigue in the stitching so will be replacing them soon.

What really bothers me is that I've never heard or seen anything describing the need to periodically clean the debris out of these slide topper assemblies. I just cleaned out the two bedroom ones this morning and am amazed they didn't bind up with all the debris around the ends and the roller tube. I always wondered where this debris goes, boy I know now! Think it should be a yearly maintenance item, mine went for 5 years accumulating debris. I always thought it self cleaned/fell out the bottom somehow, boy was I mistaken!
Old 09-02-2022, 12:33 AM   #4

Hi Gerry, sorry for the delayed responds.
Thank you for the links.
Mine had some debris inside but not really significant. It for sure did not touch the roller or any other part of the mechanism. I am also surprised that we are the only two with that problem.
My concern is also that there is no flex of the topper, meaning that they are stretched to the limit once the slides are out. No wonder with strong wind over the years the stiches will give. I thing there should be a little more length of fabric to give away when the topper is pushed up by the wind.
I normally retract the slides if strong winds are blowing.
We are out of the country for several months and therefore have winterized our motorhome already. Its getting cold up here in Canada and October can already bring freezing weather. Hopefully we can make it south once back.
Old 09-02-2022, 05:08 AM   #5

You will like the tough top awning they are a lot leavier material. I put them on my old motorhome slides, they lasted a long time they were on it when we sold it.
2022 36K7 GT 7 Georgetown
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4
US NAVY Retired
Tony p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 08:33 AM   #6

The awning tension is controlled by the internal spring on the right side of the roller tube. I like the awnings tight since they shed water (and hopefully debris) better than a saggy awning. I'll post a follow up once I replace the living room slide topper fabric next week.

I also ordered replacement fabric for the two bedroom slides as well from Tough Top Awnings.
Old 09-02-2022, 02:50 PM   #7

I like them tied too. However, i checked the other one on the bedroom slide and the fabric was fully extended, meaning there was not even a 1/8'' flex. The fabric was tied and hard like a rock. you could see the stitches stretched to the limit. I really don't like that. Check that out while extending the slide and you will see what I mean.
Old 09-06-2022, 02:53 PM   #8

Slide Topper Awning Replaced

I received the awning fabric today from http://www.Toughtopawnings.com and it is a much higher quality vinyl and stitching than the original Carefree product. My BIL Joe Brown assisted and we got the fabric pulled into place and everything seems to be working fine. I just re-installed the metal cover so for now the job is complete. Will be doing the other two shorter ones in October
Old 09-06-2022, 02:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony p View Post
You will like the tough top awning they are a lot leavier material. I put them on my old motorhome slides, they lasted a long time they were on it when we sold it.
Superior product from Tough Top Awnings for sure, Tony

Tags
ascend, carefree of colorado, slide topper