Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2020, 12:21 PM   #1

Cold Weather Prep

Taking my first ever trip up north next week temps average are mid 40s any advise on how to prep my 2019 Greyhawk 31f to avoid freezing pipes, etc? I live in sunny Florida so need assistance with cooler temps.
D'Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:39 PM   #2

40 degrees, nothing to worry about it. Is that your highs or is that your lows?

Low temps matter more than the highs. Generally speaking (HTT perspective) I do not get concerned about overnight lows until they are below 25 degrees and daytime highs are below 40.

It takes some time for things to freeze. The tanks are large, and there is a lot of thermal mass in them, so no issues. I do get a little concerned about piping that is hidden in walls without good heat. So we will keep those cabinet doors ajar to let a little heat migrate in.

I know that on many MHs your pipes run under the floor and exposed to the elements. The pipes have less thermal mass so they will freeze much quicker than the tanks. If you are going to be out below 28ish degree weather, I would recommend crawling under the MH, and install some foam pipe insulation. If you are going to be in cold weather often, might be worth adding a piece of heat tape to keep the pipes from freezing.

Your tanks should have heat pads on them. I would not worry about turning them on until your below 25 degrees at night. But there is no harm turning them on earlier.

Are you going to be staying at a place with electric? If so, I recommend picking up an electric space heater, I have a small ceramic unit, that stays in the cargo hold year round. It cannot keep our HTT toasty when 25 degrees, but does a good job trying. We supplement with the furnace. Your MH has an onboard propane tank, make sure it is full, the furnace can consume a lot of gas. A lot of people like to use an "Extend A Stay" with a 20 pound tank. Most will use the 20 tank as their primary, and when it runs out, flip to the internal tank while refilling the portable tank. I suspect your internal tank could go 4-5 days with the furnace on if your lows are around 40 degrees.

If you are staying somewhere with hose connections, and the temps are expected to drop below 32 degrees. Make sure to fill your FW tank, for night use. Disconnect the hose at night, drain it, ideally coil it up and put it in the cargo hold for the night. If it freezes, it is not just stiff, but it will take a long time for it to thaw enough to allow water to flow again.

Others with a MH should be able to give you more specific information.

Good Luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote