Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2021, 07:12 AM   #1

Debgot

Ok sorry if I’m asking too many questions. But we are new to the motor home family after being fifth wheel people for 30 years we have a brand new alante 31 V. And. After using it a few times snd doing some research we are considering upgrading to the precept 31UL or should we just do the upgrades to the alante and carry on. I think it’s mostly the stabilizing bars and steering controls that come standard on the precept I also prefer the plan on the precept but that’s neither here nor there
DebGot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:25 AM   #2

There is a lot more to a Precept than just those items. 50 amp electrical service, heavier duty chassis, bigger tires/wheels, fiberglass REAR cap, heat pump, etc.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:28 AM   #3

I hear you. And I wish we had looked into it further before we bought. But to lose $60000 in 4 months ouch. They said cause it’s considered used now and the warrant isn’t transferable.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:32 AM   #4

Very little depreciates as fast as a new RV. Especially if you were only able to snag 20%-25% off the sticker price.

Old 06-18-2021, 09:35 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebGot View Post
Ok sorry if I’m asking too many questions. But we are new to the motor home family after being fifth wheel people for 30 years we have a brand new alante 31 V. And. After using it a few times snd doing some research we are considering upgrading to the precept 31UL or should we just do the upgrades to the alante and carry on. I think it’s mostly the stabilizing bars and steering controls that come standard on the precept I also prefer the plan on the precept but that’s neither here nor there
If the stabilization is what you're concerned about in terms of chassis, then I would not trade up. You mentioned you liked the Precept floorplan better but "its neither here nor there", so it sounds like that is not a driving factor, please correct me if i'm wrong??

With that said, you would come out alot better with just doing the minor suspension work needed to make the F53 chassis more stable. Plus, and i'll let my Precept friends jump in here, but i see alot of them doing the same suspension mods to theirs despite the marketing from Jayco on the Jride and whatnot. Both the Allante and Precept come with sway bars and a front trac bar. Neither of them come with a rear trac bar or steering stabilizer (to my knowledge). So i doubt you buy anything by trading on that reason alone. The cost to put a rear trac bar and steering stabilizer on is less than $2K and will make a world of difference in the ride.

In addition, you need to consider your camping style and requirements. The 31V is a 30amp coach with energy management system whereas the Precept is a 50amp coach as someone else already pointed out. Will being 50amp limit you in terms of available campsites? I know at some state parks in Florida it does, so for me 30amp is something I like about the Allante 31V. I have the Vision 31V, same coach different decals, both made in the Jayco factory.

Is the precept chassis a bit more stable, possibly yes. I know the 22.5" wheels makes a big difference, maybe beefier, maybe heavier, etc... but in the end its your choice. If you keep the 31V, get a spare tire and put it in the first passthrough in the small area above the chassis rails, those can be hard to find when you break down. Get the suspension mods and have them put on or do it yourself, it will make a big difference. If you go with the Precept, I would venture a guess you'll do the same or similar suspension mods someday as well.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebGot View Post
But to lose $60000 in 4 months ouch. They said cause it’s considered used now and the warrant isn’t transferable.
Did you go back to the same dealer that sold you the first one? If so, sounds like they're "yanking your chain" to me.

I mean you'd have to share all of the numbers, but assuming you didn't pay full list price for the Alante, at worst they're telling you a nearly-new $140,000 RV is now going for $80K?

The used RV market is insanely hot - post it on craigslist and watch the offers fly in!

That's how we bought ours a few years ago. One person bought it new, wasn't right for him. We negotiated (knowing the warranty wasn't transferable) and I'm guessing he lost $8K. Not $60K.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
If you go with the Precept, I would venture a guess you'll do the same or similar suspension mods someday as well.
My dealer is also a Safe-T-Plus dealer so I have the stabilizer in my deal. Also, I have the SuperSteer trac-bar and front SumoSprings sitting on my garage floor waiting for my coach.

So, to Foretm’s point - yes. JRide means something on the Class ‘C’ chassis but it means next to nothing on the F53 class ‘A’ chassis.

One important note, if you have the F53 w/ the 7.3L V8, you also have beefier sway bars; supposedly you don’t need to upgrade those anymore. However, those upgraded sway bars are FOMOCO parts, not Jayco enhancements.

Old 06-18-2021, 02:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
If the stabilization is what you're concerned about in terms of chassis, then I would not trade up. You mentioned you liked the Precept floorplan better but "its neither here nor there", so it sounds like that is not a driving factor, please correct me if i'm wrong??

With that said, you would come out alot better with just doing the minor suspension work needed to make the F53 chassis more stable. Plus, and i'll let my Precept friends jump in here, but i see alot of them doing the same suspension mods to theirs despite the marketing from Jayco on the Jride and whatnot. Both the Allante and Precept come with sway bars and a front trac bar. Neither of them come with a rear trac bar or steering stabilizer (to my knowledge). So i doubt you buy anything by trading on that reason alone. The cost to put a rear trac bar and steering stabilizer on is less than $2K and will make a world of difference in the ride.

In addition, you need to consider your camping style and requirements. The 31V is a 30amp coach with energy management system whereas the Precept is a 50amp coach as someone else already pointed out. Will being 50amp limit you in terms of available campsites? I know at some state parks in Florida it does, so for me 30amp is something I like about the Allante 31V. I have the Vision 31V, same coach different decals, both made in the Jayco factory.

Is the precept chassis a bit more stable, possibly yes. I know the 22.5" wheels makes a big difference, maybe beefier, maybe heavier, etc... but in the end its your choice. If you keep the 31V, get a spare tire and put it in the first passthrough in the small area above the chassis rails, those can be hard to find when you break down. Get the suspension mods and have them put on or do it yourself, it will make a big difference. If you go with the Precept, I would venture a guess you'll do the same or similar suspension mods someday as well.
x2 on what Foretm/Michael and Jayopsy said. I have the Precept 34G... here's all my mods/adds Link: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...34g-81805.html

Mark
Old 06-18-2021, 07:28 PM   #9

Thanks do much for the info makes us feel much better my husband wonders with your spare tire. Do you have it mounted on a rim or do you just carry the tire
Old 06-19-2021, 04:55 AM   #10

Only room for just the tire. Mounted tire on wheel is too thick to fit and too heavy. The road service will change and mount tire road side.

Mark
Old 06-19-2021, 12:48 PM   #11

Hi, My hubby and I bought a 2016 Alante to begin with and 2 years later, when the warranty expired, we traded it in for a 2018 Precept and have not regretted it. We did take a bit of a loss but it has been worth it, at least in my mind...Actually my husband agrees!
johnharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 03:23 PM   #12

Yeah I think we probably will trade in a year or two but after only having it 4 months a huge loss like that is way too much. We will love it for a few years lol
Old 06-21-2021, 07:27 AM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkassab View Post
Only room for just the tire. Mounted tire on wheel is too thick to fit and too heavy. The road service will change and mount tire road side.

Mark

x2, just the tire...
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:43 AM   #14

You got it lol