Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2021, 11:59 AM   #1

Flimsy circular ceiling vents - any upgrade ideas?

My circular ceiling outlet vents in my 2019 34G are flimsy. I’m talking about the circular ceiling vents that rotate and can be closed. Frequently when someone tries to turn the vent the center part pops out of its track and goes up a bit. I pop it back into its track but its a pain. Usually happens when a guest tries to adjust the vent. The industry has been using these cheep vents for many many years in all kinds of RVs. I looked for upgrades at the Tampa RV show this year and didn’t see any. Anybody found something better? Thanks in advance.
DonC757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 05:39 AM   #2

I have a 2020 34G. This last weekend I replaced the main fan with a Maxxfan Deluxe 7500 and then replaced the bathroom fan with the main fan I removed. Hardest part is removing the dicor. Our main fan was a Dometic Fantastic fan. Simple. Not bad. Works well in the bathroom. The new fan has a remote, 10 speed, temperature sensor to turn off/on automatically and brings air in or out. Huge upgrade in airflow.
Bernheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:40 AM   #3

Valterra , Newmar and Garneck make a number of AC vents for RVs. I haven't swapped mine out but have the same issue with some vents. Probably just need to read through reviews, try to determine which are real people and try one out.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:43 AM   #4

The round AC vents in my ceiling don't seem to be flimsy, but none of them rotate very smoothly. And they won't stay open unless I wedge a small piece of foam rubber into one of the vent slots.

Have you taken one of the vents out of the ceiling and checked it out from both sides? Maybe you'll get some idea on how you can make them work better.

I might take mine out and clean them up, maybe lube them with a dry silicone lube or something so they rotate easier.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:55 AM   #5
Site Team

Mine work ok but I did remove them a few years back to check the ducting. Before placing them back, I washed them and sprayed the moving parts with silicone spray.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:01 AM   #6

Mine are starting to act up on me too (won't stay open; when air flows they close up).

Years ago, I replaced a couple in my trailer with something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-...195153&sr=8-18

I'm thinking I will probably install these in my Greyhawk. But I'm also strongly considering the RV Airflow kit install. So I'll probably do those at the same time?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Mine are starting to act up on me too (won't stay open; when air flows they close up).

Years ago, I replaced a couple in my trailer with something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-...195153&sr=8-18

I'm thinking I will probably install these in my Greyhawk. But I'm also strongly considering the RV Airflow kit install. So I'll probably do those at the same time?
Wow! Thanks for posting that link. I may grab that one, or it's cousin. I think all but one or two vents are ones that I'd prefer to have open all of the time. I see no reason to ever close them.

As for the Airflow kit, I did the 3D printed DIY version and have to say, I'm impressed with the increase. I think you'll enjoy it!
Old 07-13-2021, 02:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Wow! Thanks for posting that link. I may grab that one, or it's cousin. I think all but one or two vents are ones that I'd prefer to have open all of the time. I see no reason to ever close them.

As for the Airflow kit, I did the 3D printed DIY version and have to say, I'm impressed with the increase. I think you'll enjoy it!
Originally, I picked up that register because DW doesn't like air blowing directly on her while sleeping. So I changed out the ones in the primary "bedroom" in my TT. This type of register does a nice job of "dispersing" the air instead of "directing" it. And there is still some adjustment; the "plate" sits on a threaded post, so you can turn it opened or closed to get some adjustment to the flow.

Primarily the vents I'm having trouble with in my Greyhawk currently are the ones by my son's bunk (the overhead cab), and he's a lot like his mom in that respect; doesn't like the air blowing on him, and he gets cold easily (is this kid seriously from Texas?).

Personally, I like the air flowing over me to be around 68 degrees, moving at about 30 knots! LOL!!

I may do the self-created air-flow kit. I don't have a 3D printer yet, but a buddy of mine might have access to one I can use. Otherwise, I may use the foam insulation/foil tape solution. But I want it done and don't have the time to mess with it, so I'll probably just measure and see if I can just buy the kit.

I figure if I improve the airflow significantly out of the vents, the family is going to want the "non-directional" ones. So I may end up replacing all of them throughout the coach...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 02:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
my son's bunk (the overhead cab), and he's a lot like his mom in that respect; doesn't like the air blowing on him, and he gets cold easily (is this kid seriously from Texas?).

Personally, I like the air flowing over me to be around 68 degrees, moving at about 30 knots! LOL!!

Exact same situation here - my wife, a Texas native, hates the fan. Any fan. Me? Like you, I'd prefer gale force winds.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:42 AM   #10

Thanks for the ideas. Keep them coming please. Next time I have it home I’m going to pop one out of the ceiling completely, clean it and spray it with silicone and see if it rotates smoother. I haven’t tried that because I bought the RV new and they were sticking then. Every RV I have used has those same circular vents and all of them stick. It’s going to be a couple weeks but I’ll post my results then.
DonC757 is offline   Reply With Quote