Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #1

Focus Toad info needed

We bought a 2016 Ford Focus Platinum to tow behind our Precept 31 ul. All has worked well for over a year with one exception - after preparing the transmission according to Ford specs the Focus adds miles to the odometer while under tow. There is no guidance in the manual. I leave the electronic key in the car when towing. I’m starting to wonder if I should prepare the transmission and remove the key from the car thus cutting off the power. I’m afraid that may take the engine out of towing mode (initial message: transmission prepared). I’m not in the market for a new transmission and even if that is not a danger, I hate to have thousands of extra miles on the odometer.
jhawkwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:38 PM   #2

We tow a 2017 Focus. We bog it for towing but it is also my wife's day-to-day car. It is all working very well. We follow the instructions to prepare for towing: turn on ignition without pressing the brake, shift to neutral, release the parking brake, turn off ignition. We get the message that transmission is ready. Then we take the key with us in the Precept 31UL. Mileage while towing does not show up on the odometer. Hope this works for you.
tsmatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:39 PM   #3

We tow the '16 Focus Platinum behind our '16 Alante. The tortuous toad prep sequence is right in the Focus manual, and it is clear that the power must be shut off to avoid transmission damage. We have a power shutdown switch installed in the trunk, so we don't have to fuss with the battery. However, and unfortunately, there is no manual key access to the trunk, so the process involves even more contortions. After the transmission is in neutral and the ignition is off, make sure you pop the trunk. Exit the car. If you want the doors locked on the road, lock them with the fob, but not too close or they may unlock with the proximity unlock feature. Then switch off the power in the trunk, and close the trunk. You are all set. Turning the power back on is not so easy, because you cannot get back in the trunk without power, to turn on the power. Take the manual key out of the fob, open the driver door, reach behind and open the left passenger door from the inside, fold the left passenger seat forward, and reach into the trunk for the switch. Bingo, you have your power back, but need a chiropractor. The switch is in the trunk for a good reason, I've been told. Right. I have not been told why Ford does not have manual key access to the trunk, which in the age of reason should make sense. Not. Hope this helps.
Michael Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:44 PM   #4

One more note: With power off as spec'd by Ford, the odometer on the Focus does not register miles. That's good and bad, bad because you can't easily track miles on tires and brakes from the Focus' odometer.
Michael Francois is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford focus, towing, transmission