Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2020, 07:37 AM   #1

From Fiver to Class A?

Okay, so wife and I are currently towing a Eagle HT fifth wheel and are dipping our toes into the Class A world by looking seriously at a Precept 31UL. Before posting some techie type questions I have, would love to hear from some other fivers who have made the jump/transition to a gas Class A. Was it a good move, not so good or wish I had not? Love to hear the good, the bad and the ugly about it. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Youngsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:56 AM   #2

What is the initial reason for your change? You didn't mention about your truck. Are you trading for a toad? More and more states are requiring the brake buddy for toads.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:59 AM   #3

OK so I never had a 5er but I had TT’s for almost 30 years. Moved to a class C and then to our current and most likely last RV. Had it going on 3 years and we won’t go back. The view out the big window, the roominess, the storage and best of all the convenience of everything while going down the road. We tow a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk on trips we feel like we might need a vehicle at our destination.
We don’t FT so for us the gasser meets all our needs. I have never felt the need to do any chassis mods as the rig handles just fine. You will get other opinions from folks who feel otherwise.
Unfortunately you can expect some issues if you purchase new no matter which brand you look at. Jayco has the 2 year warranty and has been very supportive for me. In my case I have no regrets. Good luck in your decision.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:23 AM   #4

DonaandDon, Thank you for your service. My family appreciates what you have done for us. In regards to your question, we have towed both a TT (15 years) and a 5er (about 5 years) and my wife has never been comfortable with the process of hooking and unhooking or towing. So, I do all the driving. etc. She feels a gas A would allow us to share the driving and another big reason, give us access to the RV without leaving the truck. We have a 2016 F150 Platinum Crew Cab, 3.5 Eco-Boost, 5.5 box and IMHO, tows our 27.5RLTS like a dream. We would probably keep the truck (almost paid for) and make her next vehicle the toad.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:27 AM   #5

Rice1951, thanks for your input. We have many of the same reasons for a Class A that you mention. BTW, know what you mean about issues with new. We made good use of our 2 year warranty on our 5er after we bought. Hartville RV in Hartville, OH has been awesome in that regard and most helpful when we needed it.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:10 AM   #6

In Sept 2017 we switched from a 40' 5th wheel to a 35' Class A. "We" consists of my wife and I, our two kids (4 and 8), and our blue heeler. Overall, for us, it was the best move we've made in RVs.

Prior to our current rig we had the 5er that preceeded it, a 36' TT, and a 30' TT. Now, nothing beats the space (sqft) in 5th once you're in a spot and setup, especially with kids. However, we travel a lot, and traveling in the Class A is hands down 100% nicer than traveling in a pickup truck.

I drive longer with less fatigue. Bathroom stops are less frequent because the kids use the bathroom in the coach while we're driving and the dog sleeps until we stop moving. The kids can each watch whatever they each want in their own bunks, or read, play games, whatever - they have their own space and aggravate each other less.

Get somewhere and its bad weather? Push a couple buttons to level and slide out, start the generator, and wait out the weather - no need to get soaked. Packing up and its raining? Do what you have to do, then come in side, get dried off, change of clothes, then settle in and drive - no need to go back out. If you travel a lot it's hard to find downsides to the switch...

cfisher523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:12 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
We skipped 5ers, but did the tent, pop-up, and TT thing, now into an Entegra Vision 31V same as Allante 31V. Regarding the toad, what we did was to find a vehicle on rvt.com that was already setup to be flat towed that came with everything necessary (Tow bar, base plate, cables, braking system, etc...). We were able to get a small car for $3500 with everything included so it made sense to just buy that instead of outfiting a new vehicle with baseplates, tow bars, etc...

May or may not work for you, but doesn't hurt to look.

https://www.rvt.com/New-and-Used-Tow...0Behind%20Cars
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:47 PM   #8

Well we have had everything from pop up to our 40 plus foot 5th wheel. In my calculations a diesel pu and 5th wheel is the biggest , best pulling most efficient rig you can own. However we pick up our Precept Prestige 36H next week and I can’t answer just yet but we wanted to enjoy the ride in what we were going to stay in. I believe that this will be a great move for us.
kevinjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:58 AM   #9

Somewhat of a rookie here, had a 25' TT for 2 years and just traded in for a 2018 Precept 31UL. Wife said she needed something bigger in the bedroom. I said hold on, that's getting personal. She said just more room around the bed and more drawer space. Just brought it home Monday, but boy is it spacious. Already loaded all my stuff in the exterior spaces, and still have 2 or 3 empty ones. Had a 5 hr drive coming home, some of it was very windy, and you will feel it. Had a trac bar and steering stabilizer put on as part of the negotiations. Big trucks going by wasn't a problem, but did get side motion from the wind, but it was 15-20mph. Later in the day the wind settled and it was fine.
TGoldsbury is offline   Reply With Quote