Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-20-2020, 03:23 PM   #1

Generator Size

Some of the units I have looked at have a 4000 kw, 4400 KW and some have a 5000kw or larger in the same Alante? I am looking at one with a 4000kw but I found one a year newer with a 5000KW. I understand if you have 2 AC 4000 might be at its max capacity.
chaunz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaunz15 View Post
Some of the units I have looked at have a 4000 kw, 4400 KW and some have a 5000kw or larger in the same Alante? I am looking at one with a 4000kw but I found one a year newer with a 5000KW. I understand if you have 2 AC 4000 might be at its max capacity.
Having the extra power is always a plus.

You could probably get away with the 4K unit by installing a Microair Easy Start on each A/C ($300 each) since starting the units is the hardest part. Installing the Microair's would be less expensive versus the price difference between an Onan 4K and 5K unit.

In either case you'd need to exercise some energy management since starting both A/C's at the same time while running a electric water heater (1200W), coffee maker (1000W) and microwave (1500W) at the same time could overload even a 5K generator.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:27 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaunz15 View Post

If you're looking at the Allante, then what you are seeing is changes from one year to the other. The 2019s and some 2020s have a 4KW generator as it is a 30amp coach. The later 2020s and 2021s have a 5.5Kw generator and are a 50amp coach. The 30 amp coaches have an energy management system that begins to shed loads when you draw too much amperage.

For example, in my coach (same as Allante 31V), i'm a 30amp coach with the energy management system, so I have dual 11K BTU energy saving ACs. When my wife decides to blow dry her hair with her 2000W commercial blow dryer (used to be a hairdresser), my coach will shed loads until the usage is below 30amp. In my unit it goes in this order, the water heater, then the fridge, then the rear AC compressor, followed by the front AC compressor. It's seamless and you don't even know its happening as the water heater will go off, the fridge will switch to propane, and the ACs still run the fans. I have to check the panel to know what got shed, normaly its the water heater and the fridge if it gets that far.

On the newer coaches, they have 15K BTU ACs up front and 13.5K BTU ACs in the rear, and I think one of them is a heatpump, but don't quote me. As a result, they have moved to 50amp and a larger generator. With the larger generator and the 50amp unit, they have no need for the energy management system, so that has been deleted.

So to me it's a matter of preference and camping style. I stay in state parks over 95% of the time and as such being 30amp and under 32' i'm affored a ton of site options. My uncle, whom I camp with alot, he's 36' and 50amp. His site options are drastically reduced and alot of times difficult to get, mainly around the 50amp and not the length. This is getting better over time, but alot of state parks are not updated yet. I personally like having a 30amp coach and the energy management system. Yes you have to "think" about your electrical usage from time to time, but I don't mind and I like the flexibility it affords me on sites. For example, we normally plug in a second standard extension cord to the pedastal and use it for the crock pot or the air fryer outside vs plugging to the coach.

Regarding the 4KW vs 5.5KW generators, they both have issues in some cases with shutting down and alot of times its an airflow thing. Do some research on the generator shutdown, there's plenty of reading to be had. Also review and consider the Cheap Handling Fix (CHF) and consider a steering stabilizer.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator size