Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2021, 03:10 PM   #1

Question Instant Water Heater

We just bought our 2021 Precept 34G and can only get our instant water heater up to 124. This results in cool shots of water during the shower. Does anyone know how to manipulate it to increase the temperature?
Kognyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 03:54 PM   #2

Are you taking navy showers? Get wet, turn off the water, soap up, turn the water on to rinse off? On demand water heaters have a little nasty game. It has nothing to do with setting the water temperature.

Every time you turn off the water flow, the burner shuts off. When you turn on the water again, the flame chamber must first purge any potential residual gas from the flame chamber prior to ignition. I do not know how long that takes on your water heater. In my SB house, I get about 1/4 gallon slug of cold water, before I get hot water again.

This can be a real pain when boondocking!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:49 AM   #3

Agree with Jagiven... it's not the temp setting, i.e., 124* is plenty.

Another quark of Instant Hot Water heaters is the Gallons Per Minute (GPM) or flow of the water through the heater. If too low for your heater spec.... no hot water or it has to switch on and off for low GPM because the water would overheat.

If I had to guess, it's low gpm water flow that's your issue.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Instant Hot Water heater in an RV (I have two in my house and love them). The reason I wouldn't have one in an RV is twofold..... 1. you have to use your propane vs shore power you're paying for anyway when at an RV site.... and 2. you have no reserve that a tank gives you. With a Tank hot water heater in an RV, you have 3 options... 1. all electric, 2. all propane and 3. both electric and propane turned on.

just my $0.02
Mark
Old 04-08-2021, 01:19 PM   #4

No. I take Air Force showers! Long, hot showers.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:21 PM   #5

Overheating makes sense. The water temperature seems to have leveled out and now we are experiencing something new. I heard a 3 beep warning 5 times in a row and then the water turned cold. These showers have been approximately 15 minutes each as our little one likes to play in the shower once in. So, I suspect overheating may be the case as you mentioned. Or there is a timed shutoff to save propane, but I thought our water heater is electric, so it's hard to say. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kognyto View Post
Overheating makes sense. The water temperature seems to have leveled out and now we are experiencing something new. I heard a 3 beep warning 5 times in a row and then the water turned cold. These showers have been approximately 15 minutes each as our little one likes to play in the shower once in. So, I suspect overheating may be the case as you mentioned. Or there is a timed shutoff to save propane, but I thought our water heater is electric, so it's hard to say. Thanks for your input.
If you have an instant Hot Water systems in the RV, it's propane. No way it would be electric (too much amps needed for an RV). Also, if you believe it's shutting down because of overheating.... something is wrong and it needs repaired/replaced. It should run all day long as long as you have running water and propane. If it does need to be replaced, and if the rig has room, I'd consider going back to a typical RV water tank heater electric/propane.

Mark

Mark
Old 04-09-2021, 05:51 PM   #7

124 is plenty...... The EPA recommends 120 degrees because it’s hot enough to keep diseases at bay,
Old 04-09-2021, 08:07 PM   #8

Good information. Thanks.

Tags
heater, instant, temperature, water