Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-28-2018, 12:10 PM   #1

Is Jayco 2yr Warranty Really Only for Original Owner??

I don't know why I never noticed this before but I see that their 2 year warranty is "limited to the original owner"! Has anyone had experience with this? IOW has anyone purchased a late model used and tried to get Jayco warranty service upon taking ownership? (Yes I am asking if anyone knows of a way around this issue? and how they did it?, as this benefits both the original seller as well as 2nd buyer)

How do they track who is requesting service for instance? And if the original owner was OK for example with allowing the 2nd owner to request warranty service under their (original owner's) name for the few months left on the warranty, how would Jayco even know?
gowestwardho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:18 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Seems like your thinking is "Fraud"

If that's what Jayco states then accept it. Anyone should do their research before they buy in the first place. Warranty has to be registered by the first owner.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:45 PM   #3

I understand what you are thinking, but that depends on how you look at it really. For instance if someone is selling their rig because they haven't really used it much during their ownership, it might be of benefit (and ease the sale) to let the new owner get at least one shake-down trip under their belt, and make warranty adjustments/repairs, before formally transferring registered ownership. There are a lot of units being sold with next to no miles on them that have not had their issues addressed yet. Particularly in light of the way Jayco prefers to have their Dealers fix items that never should have gone past the assembly line, than to do it right the first time. So while my post was not condoning "fraud", it was asking how the process works in light of so many relatively new units being sold with minimal original owner usage (due to health, storage, financial, family issues, etc.)
gowestwardho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:22 PM   #4

On my second u it, my first was a horrible warantee issue took 8 months to deal and get it worked on and now on my second a dayinto it I filed a claim .... cant find a place close to me that Jayco will let service me.

The warantee is a sham. My opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowestwardho View Post
I understand what you are thinking, but that depends on how you look at it really. For instance if someone is selling their rig because they haven't really used it much during their ownership, it might be of benefit (and ease the sale) to let the new owner get at least one shake-down trip under their belt, and make warranty adjustments/repairs, before formally transferring registered ownership. There are a lot of units being sold with next to no miles on them that have not had their issues addressed yet. Particularly in light of the way Jayco prefers to have their Dealers fix items that never should have gone past the assembly line, than to do it right the first time. So while my post was not condoning "fraud", it was asking how the process works in light of so many relatively new units being sold with minimal original owner usage (due to health, storage, financial, family issues, etc.)
2019 - Jayco - JayFeather SLX 174BH
enri1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:14 PM   #5

Not sure I agree with that, where I have had many issues with my unit I either fixed them (small) myself or got them repaired under warranty. Never had an issue getting authorization for repairs, even when I told Jayco I didn't trust the local CW to do the repairs right they allowed me to pick a repair shop of my own, and they (Jayco) called the shop and authorized them to do warranty work. All of my issues were with the lack of quality repair work, I now have a shop that does good and timely work.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:26 AM   #6

I'm the second owner on mine and Jayco provide warranty to my request. This was before Thor aquired Jayco.

Dave
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
I'm the second owner on mine and Jayco provide warranty to my request. This was before Thor aquired Jayco.

Dave
You got lucky somehow. That has been JAYCO's policy for many years prior to the THOR buyout.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:24 PM   #8

it sure did not benefit me. whilst having the front cap on our 2013 eagle being painted I saw a used 2014 5th wheel on the lot. original owner had traded back in on a bigger one that he could stand up in the bedroom. since we bought ours from a jayco dealer we were told there would be no warranty.
long story short the cap on the 2014 started fading shortly after our purchase but no warranty to cover it. we are happy with our 14 but yes, having the warranty transfer to the 2nd owner would have worked out great , especially considering the 14 was still pretty new yet and would have been under the original owners warranty.
when I have sold my jaycos privately and they were still under 2 years old I did tell the buyers that the warranty did not transfer.