Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-14-2018, 03:49 PM   #1

Question Led Headlamp on Jayco Precept

Hi,

We recently purchased a used 2017 Jayco Precept 35S with 5000 km on it. The left front led strip in the head lamp is already burnt. This led strip is also the daylight, so basically this almost new unit does not pass a safety check already!! Does anyone have any issues with this? Contacted Jayco and I am being told that since I am not the original owner, no luck with warranty on this still new unit and was told I am on my own for this safety issue.

I would also be curious to find out from where these lamps come from, usually, they are from a OEM manufacturer like Ford, GM.
Malyhupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:57 PM   #2

Call Jayco Motorized and ask to speak with Jon Haines 574-825-5861.
I’m sure he can answer your questions.
caroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:08 AM   #3

Thanks,

I already received an e-mail from Jon at Jayco and looks like they are denying this warranty has I am not the original owner. I was ask to speak to the dealer, the dealer did not make this unit, only sold it, so they do not want to honors this lamp either. I am not sure of the cost, but looks like Jayco will not help.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:50 AM   #4

First I've heard of this. Was the unit a 2017 built in 2016 therefore out of 2 years warranty? If yes, it's like a car out of warranty and the owner pays for a new headlight. If in warranty I believe they should replace even though you are second owner. If you have to pay call the number Caroga gave above and get the parts department. They will send the lights to dealer where you pay and install them or they install for $$$ out of your pocket.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:59 AM   #5

LED headlamps? I have a 2016 35S that are halogen, wish I had LED lamps with DRL. But, I try to avoid driving after dark so guess it's a moot point for me.

Have your priced the cost of a new lamp? I would think they could be found cheaper through a third party seller. Jayco is going to mark up any parts they re-sell.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster View Post
First I've heard of this. Was the unit a 2017 built in 2016 therefore out of 2 years warranty? If yes, it's like a car out of warranty and the owner pays for a new headlight. If in warranty I believe they should replace even though you are second owner. If you have to pay call the number Caroga gave above and get the parts department. They will send the lights to dealer where you pay and install them or they install for $$$ out of your pocket.
It is 1.5 years into service, so technically still under the waranty. But since I am a second owner, Jon from Jayco mention they will not cover it.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
LED headlamps? I have a 2016 35S that are halogen, wish I had LED lamps with DRL. But, I try to avoid driving after dark so guess it's a moot point for me.

Have your priced the cost of a new lamp? I would think they could be found cheaper through a third party seller. Jayco is going to mark up any parts they re-sell.
Hi,
They are also halogen on the 2017, but the day light has a LED strip above the halogen lamp, this is what is burnt on the driver side, out of about 18 led, only 3 or 4 are still on.
I also wish I could find out from which OEM Manufacturer these are from, and I may not have much choice to replace as in Ontario, we must have day light on during the day. Thanks,
Old 12-15-2018, 05:30 PM   #8

Sounds like Jayco just added the LED DRL so they could sell it in Canada, if Jayco won't cover it under warranty (the 2 year warranty is for original owner) then just buy the part from Jayco and install it yourself, can't be a big deal. I replaced the 6' DRL Led's on my Alante for under $150, (I was reimbursed by extended warranty coverage) it was just Peel-N-Stick with hot & Gnd wires.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:39 AM   #9

Aha! So that's how they get DRL. Thanks Malyhupe for the info.

White LED's can be bought in strips from eBay or Amazon and only need a 12V connection. Have you looked to see if you can get to the strip?

My awning LED"s have been replaced twice under warranty, they don't take water very well when washing the underside of the awning. Now that my warranty has expired I'll need to be more careful when I wash it.

The next time they go out I'm going to put a 16' strip under the awning where it attaches to the coach body and use the 12V feed line for the existing awning lights.

LED strips are easy to work with so if you can get into the headlight they are easily replaceable.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:52 AM   #10

I’ve had issues with my LED strips, I had to re-solder the connections on one set. While fixing it I noticed a tag on the wires which stated that the LEDs were for indoor use only! I had another string go out so I bought some weatherproof RGB LEDs which I plan to install when I’m in Florida. I want my LEDs color to match the color of my headlights. Another issue with the factory LEDs is the lack of strain relief on the connections, they just stick them through a hole in the fiberglass and let the wiring hang off of the LED strip. No wonder they go bad with all that bouncing around while driving down the road, not to mention using LEDs made for indoor use!
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by klspahr View Post
I’ve had issues with my LED strips, I had to re-solder the connections on one set. While fixing it I noticed a tag on the wires which stated that the LEDs were for indoor use only! I had another string go out so I bought some weatherproof RGB LEDs which I plan to install when I’m in Florida. I want my LEDs color to match the color of my headlights. Another issue with the factory LEDs is the lack of strain relief on the connections, they just stick them through a hole in the fiberglass and let the wiring hang off of the LED strip. No wonder they go bad with all that bouncing around while driving down the road, not to mention using LEDs made for indoor use!
X2..... wrong lights, bad install. I coated mine with clear silicone to help with the water issue. I like the idea of the RGB so when they go out again (only a matter of time) I will get them.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:29 AM   #12

Hi,

There are build in the h/lamp, If they were a strip, I would not even had bother contacting Jayco, I do not have the price yet, but an Headlamp assembly with build in LED is usually quite expensive. Will get the price tomorrow. New to this Forum and I am not sure how to insert a photo of this burnt lamp. Thanks,
Old 12-16-2018, 10:42 AM   #13

Yes, a complete headlamp assembly will be $$$, so be the squeaky wheel and keep bugging Jayco for a warranty replacement. Good luck......
Old 12-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyhupe View Post
Hi,

There are build in the h/lamp, If they were a strip, I would not even had bother contacting Jayco, I do not have the price yet, but an Headlamp assembly with build in LED is usually quite expensive. Will get the price tomorrow. New to this Forum and I am not sure how to insert a photo of this burnt lamp. Thanks,
Can you get a manufacturers part number off the HL? If they are anything like my '16 35S the shape is elongated and narrow. I would think the shape and built in LED DRL would really make it unique which = expensive.

Maybe you can speak with a CS supervisor and ask for special dispensation on costs for building customer goodwill?

In your message block when you type a reply there is a paperclip icon for adding attachments. Try that for pictures.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:16 AM   #15

No help from Jayco

Just talk to Jon Haines and looks like Jayco is refusing to provide any assistance at all on this Led H/lamp assy on this 2017 unit as I am a second owner. It is still within the 2 year warranty, It has been in service for 1.5 years now, but I am stuck to replace at my own cost, only a couple of led light are on out of 18 on one side. This is over $800.00 before taxes for the part only.
Thanks to all the reply and opinion people have provided from the Forum, not so much a thanks to Jayco who let me down.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0679(1).jpg  
Old 12-17-2018, 10:55 AM   #16

If you turn your headlights on while traveling does that circumvent the DRL need?

Have you examined the headlight fixture looking for a manufacturers part number?

Rather than give Jayco the satisfaction of making a bunch of money I would be looking for other alternatives. I found Precept headlights on ebay but they only went up to 2016 and were under $300 USD for a pair.

Don't give up yet, keep searching for an equitable solution.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:19 AM   #17

Unhappy led lamp

Hi,

I got a quote and it looks like the cost before the 13% tax is at $815.00. These are quite expensive and I do not have any issues installing it myself. It is just that these LEDs are supposed to last forever. This is a 2017 Precept with only 6000 km on it so this unit is still new.The floor plan is exactly what we were looking for with plenty of space and low mileage. We are not happy to only have one day light in the front. We received a discounted quote at $600.00 plus taxes from a different Jayco RV dealer (thanks to them) but I still hate to have to pay over $700.00 for this lamp. Thank you to all who tried to help, other than the original manufacturer, Jayco.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:40 AM   #18

I may have missed something here but if you purchased this used from a Dealer was the LED broken at that time? Or did it occur later after purchase? Because the Dealer should make good on that repair as a know issue (and safety violation), and never should have released the rig for sale knowing this. Can't blame Jayco for this one as their warranty is only for original owner (my reason for buying new when I had already made travel plans to buy a used 2017). But it certainly sounds like if in Canada these daytime running lights are required for registration then your Dealer knew they were selling it with known defect and should be held responsible.
gowestwardho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #19

I bought this unit in mid September 2018. 2 safety checks were done, one from the dealer I purchased and one from mechanical shop in Ontario and both confirm it was working at this time. I noticed the burnt LED in early December 2018. The selling dealer does not want to help as this was OK at time I pick up the unit and I was told to contact Jayco, which I did and same result there, NO.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #20

In that case that is indeed unfortunate. It's very odd that just the LEDs would go out but I have to assume you already had this all checked out by the Dealer. You could get up insidebthere and run test leads to the battery and see if they light up though. On my new '17 within weeks one of the fog lights went out and a headlight shook loose so I would suspect bad wiring or a connection (ground?) before thinking the LEDs are bad. If they truly are trashed I might try replacing each LED bulb individually myself even if not OEM, just to get past this w/o spending $750. (Those little OEM LED "eyebrow" isn't all that bright to begin with so I'm surprised they're considered daytime running capable.). Adding LEDs is surprisingly easy to do.
gowestwardho is offline   Reply With Quote