Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-03-2020, 07:29 AM   #1

Looking at 2018 Precept 31UL

Just signed up in the forum, and am considering purchasing a 2018 Precept 31UL with 7800 miles. Researching the forum so far all I have been able to find are a few horror stories. I'd sure like to hear from some other owners.
TGoldsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:50 AM   #2

I am the moderator on the Facebook precept and alante group and own a 2016 31ul. There are many folks on there with no or minor problems and love their units. In 2017 they went to a larger frame with 22.5 tires which resulted in better ride and longer wheelbase. Somewhere they changed from Girard on demand water heater to tank or truma on demand. Either one desirable. The Girard works-most of the time. I still have one.

But there are some owners that have had problems. They are nice units with a lot of bang for the buck. Remember you're not paying newmar or tiffin prices.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:00 PM   #3

I also had the same RV. Took about a dozen trips with no issues and towed a Jeep Wrangler. It had a great ride and systems were easy to use "Loved It". We traded it in last June for 2019 Precept Prestige 36U a little larger with a bath and a half and a washer dryer - happy wife happy life.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:00 PM   #4

We have a 2020 31UL, and love it. We put about 2000 miles on it last year.

We've been happy with it, no big issues so far. We love the layout. We had the Safe-T-Plus Steering Control added before we ever brought her home. We've been happy with how it handles. We flat tow a car (blue ox system).

What is the hot water system in the 2018? Is it a Tankless hot water heater? If it is you need to understand how they work, pros/cons.

Is there anything in particular you want to know?
Old 02-05-2020, 10:28 PM   #5
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum from Western New York State!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:10 AM   #6

We have a 2018.5 31 UL. Nothing but good times so far. We have the tankless water heater and really like it. We have yet to use all of the features that came standard (tank heaters, telescoping TV, fold out sleeper sofa) but really like what we got. Perfect for two but expandable if needed.

good luck
Old 02-12-2020, 07:09 PM   #7

does the 2018 31 UL have an air mattress in the sleeper sofa?
redfernj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfernj View Post
does the 2018 31 UL have an air mattress in the sleeper sofa?
Yes my 2018 31UL had an air mattress but I never used it.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:09 AM   #9

We have a 2019 31UL and love it. Ours has the 10 gallon Electric/gas water heater which works great, haven't run out of hot water yet. Ours has the couch with the pull out air mattress but thinking we might swap it out to the couch recliner since we never use the bed where it just the two of us. Love the fact that it's prepped for solar. Just purchased a solar kit can't wait to take it out of winterization, set up the solar and head to Florida in the spring. First big trip...We'll let you know how it goes.

One last thing before you buy, check for any recalls on the rig. You can call Jayco customer service (800)-517-9137 with the Vin number and they'll let you know if any recalls are active on that unit.

Enjoy
Eric Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:38 PM   #10

we have a 2020 31UL....we have taken three trips and then in for warranty work...bracket on passenger seat was bent (found on delivery). We have been waiting since Oct for a new bracket from Jayco....very frustrating...also Precept decal coming off...still waiting for new decal as well. Other than that, love the lay out. We have 10 gal hot water tank..works great and enough water for two of us. My issues: ladder to the EuroBed...rungs too far apart...our grand niece could not successfully climb up - My sister fell as her foot slipped off the narrow rung and when she rolled over onto the mattress she got huge bruise from the framework of the ladder...not designed very well.
redfernj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:14 PM   #11

we have a 2020 31UL....we have taken three trips and then in for warranty work...bracket on passenger seat was bent (found on delivery). We have been waiting since Oct for a new bracket from Jayco....very frustrating...also Precept decal coming off...still waiting for new decal as well. Other than that, love the lay out. We have 10 gal hot water tank..works great and enough water for two of us. My issues: ladder to the EuroBed...rungs too far apart...our grand niece could not successfully climb up - My sister fell as her foot slipped off the narrow rung and when she rolled over onto the mattress she got huge bruise from the framework of the ladder...not designed very well.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on the EuroBed ladder.. Buy a 3 step stool/ladder and throw that POS out as it's junk. This works great for us. Also call Jayco warranty yourself and make sure the parts needed have been ordered. A lot of dealers like to blame Jayco when the dealer is actually the problem. They'll need the last 8 digits or letters of your VIN to assist you so have that handy.
1955farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:09 AM   #12

"...bracket on passenger seat was bent..."
Redfernj- We had the exact same issue with our passenger seat, found out our bracket was also bent, we thought it was 'stiff' because it was new. The dealer replaced early on. It was way better but still stiff, it had to be adjusted and now it works better than the driver seat. BTW Our 2020 31UL built the 1st week of the 2020 run. I would ask your dealer again about status of the part. It seemed to come in in a reasonable amount of time. It's a shame that something as simple as replacing the part turns into a big issue because now you have been living months with a chair that is not usable when camping. Something that should have been a small issue is now a big issue. I feel your pain.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #13

Redfernj and others,

So many times we hear about issues like this chair not swiveling. If people would just take pride in their jobs and do it right the first time or if they saw the part was defective, why not stop and get another part that is correct and not flawed. it would make everyone happy and help secure the future of their own job or maybe help with a promotion.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:30 PM   #14

We have a 2019 31UL purchased at the end of April 2019. One trip to NH in May and then left for 2 1/2 month 31 RV Park stays in July. We are now in Florida for the winter at one RV Park. 12,000 miles so far with only a few problems. The P-Trap under kitchen sink dropped off the sink drain. 4 Cable ties now hold it up. DW would prefer a real oven to the Convection Oven. Worst problem so far is that the Water Compartment Cable and Satellite connections do not connect to any of the 3 TVs. Dealer could not fix so I installed an outside connection in the Dinette Slide with Coax cable up to the inside with a connection on the wall by the electrical outlet. We can connect our Direct TV box here or a Park Cable. Somehow the dealer's attemp to get a connection messed up the aerial connections. After 7 RVs this is our "forever RV." We love the layout, interior storage space, exterior storage, 3 slides and having a nice vehicle to drive at our destinations.
jaycojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:18 AM   #15

Wife and I own a 2014 Precept 31UL
We have been very happy with ours; have had only a couple issues that seems to effect most RV owners. ONAN GEN owners are dealing with Generators over heating because the cabinet it sits in doesn't get enough air. The other issue is the Fake leather on the seats is peeling off. I know this may sound horrible, but this unit has been truly awesome. For the price vs quality I would buy another. If your unit is under warranty, the seats are covered. I recommend replacing with cloth.
LaPlace,LaOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPlace,LaOwner View Post
...The other issue is the Fake leather on the seats is peeling off..

2020 they changed the upholstery material, It's still a vinyl, but it's not shinny or slippery any more, very cleanable. Hoping it holds up.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoshadycampers View Post
2020 they changed the upholstery material, It's still a vinyl, but it's not shinny or slippery any more, very cleanable. Hoping it holds up.
My 2016 is a duller faux leather and holding up good. I have seen several tiffin's and Thor's with the shiny slick faux leather flaking off. Maybe the mfgs found a cheaper alternative and it didn't pan out. Some were only a couple of years old and looked awful.
hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:41 AM   #18

I’ve had a 2015 31 UL for 3 years and I concur with the above recommendations. My only caveat is to start with the easy things on the chassis and proceed accordingly. In my case “handling” was a handful at first, but adding a Safety Steer system, cheap handling fix (adjust front sway bar) and 90 lbs in the tires made a huge difference. We really like our rig, but definitely drive it and check all the operations in the box itself.
Southernman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:21 AM   #19

I find it hard to believe people are putting thousands of miles on them without any suspension mods.
Mine would literally drive itself off the road before spending 3k to upgrade the suspension.
Choppered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:42 PM   #20

I started this thread, thanks for all the input. I bit the bullet and bought a 2018 31 UL on Friday. Due to other commitments won't bring it home for two weeks. It seemed to drive fine, but had the dealer throw in the Safe-T-Plus and a rear trac bar. It has power theater seating and the full body paint job. As far as the Cheap Handling Fix, when I looked under the front end it didn't look like the You-tube video's I saw. Is that a change for the J-Ride system?
TGoldsbury is offline   Reply With Quote