Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2022, 08:08 PM   #1

Onan 4000 gas generator shut down 3-6 code

I know this topic had some traction last summer, but was curious if anyone has any new info on the subject generator shutting down. Mine does it all the time when temps are above 90, the engine has been running for a while and I stop/idle for a few minutes (i.e. stoplight). My entegra vision 29f has a vented door and I have insulated fuel lines and also adjusted the spring position and nothing seems to help. After it shuts off, if I give it 10-15 minutes it starts right back up, but usually shuts down sooner any subsequent times. I do not have the plenum because the only people I saw that had it said it did not resolve their issue. Also, when I had it in for warranty work, the shop said they replaced the main board but we're unable to recreate the problem due to temps being lower. I am not confident they actually did anything as they didn't fix a few minor things they said they did and I am still waiting (4.5 months) for a replacement slide awning that has a tear in it.

Any additional suggestions for me to try on my own ahead of the summer season? Anybody have any luck resolving this for themselves?
Boiler01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 07:54 AM   #2

Could be a bad hose that is slowly collapsing.
Old 04-24-2022, 09:29 AM   #3

Trace your fuel line to the generator and make sure it is not getting crimped by the black holding tank as it slowly fills up. I found that when I got home and dumped the tanks generator ran perfect. When I left for a trip a couple days into it the black tank would slowly fill and crimp the fuel line. Get home and dump it goes away, back on the road it starts up again. Could not replicate or figure out what was causing it when at home. On the road, once I got under the coached and traced the line and saw it. I dumped the tank, then got under it and was able to move the line as it was ran between the edge of the black tank and the frame.
Old 04-24-2022, 09:36 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler01 View Post
I do not have the plenum because the only people I saw that had it said it did not resolve their issue.

By plenum, do you mean the door vent that vents the intake to the outside of the coach, like in this post? It seems to have solved my issue, as I had the same issue you do. On hot days, with the main engine running, it would shut down while sitting still. If I was sitting still on a hot day with the engine off, it was fine. I can't say for sure it will fix your issue, but so far seems to have fixed mine.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 09:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
By plenum, do you mean the door vent that vents the intake to the outside of the coach, like in this post? It seems to have solved my issue, as I had the same issue you do. On hot days, with the main engine running, it would shut down while sitting still. If I was sitting still on a hot day with the engine off, it was fine. I can't say for sure it will fix your issue, but so far seems to have fixed mine.
Plenum I was referring to is the metal attachment to force the bottom fed air intake to pull from the side of the coach vs directly underneath. Is that what you think fixed yours?
Old 04-24-2022, 09:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-NM View Post
Trace your fuel line to the generator and make sure it is not getting crimped by the black holding tank as it slowly fills up. I found that when I got home and dumped the tanks generator ran perfect. When I left for a trip a couple days into it the black tank would slowly fill and crimp the fuel line. Get home and dump it goes away, back on the road it starts up again. Could not replicate or figure out what was causing it when at home. On the road, once I got under the coached and traced the line and saw it. I dumped the tank, then got under it and was able to move the line as it was ran between the edge of the black tank and the frame.
Heading out to check this now. I had traced the line (and added shielding) last year up front but can't recall looking all the way back.

Edit:. The rear corner of my black was on top of the fuel line. I was able to break it loose and get it out from under. The line was crimped a little, I tried working it out but I may have to replace the line (will wait until issue occurs again before going that route). Thanks for the suggestion - hoping this corrects it.
Old 04-24-2022, 10:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Plenum I was referring to is the metal attachment to force the bottom fed air intake to pull from the side of the coach vs directly underneath. Is that what you think fixed yours?

The 4000 intake is from the side, not the bottom. The 5500 gets it air from the bottom, and is the one that uses the plenum. Confirm on your rig the 4000 or the 5500, but yes the intake through the door seems to have solved my issue. I will know in July for sure when I move again. Currently in the Fl. Keys for 3 months and don't leave until June 30th. Should be sufficiently hot then and I will test it by sitting still somewhere with both running to ensure the solution. No issues on the way down on 4/1, but temps were mid 80s, so jury still out a bit.
Old 04-24-2022, 10:40 AM   #8

Quote:
The 4000 intake is from the side, not the bottom. The 5500 gets it air from the bottom, and is the one that uses the plenum. Confirm on your rig the 4000 or the 5500, but yes the intake through the door seems to have solved my issue. I will know in July for sure when I move again. Currently in the Fl. Keys for 3 months and don't leave until June 30th. Should be sufficiently hot then and I will test it by sitting still somewhere with both running to ensure the solution. No issues on the way down on 4/1, but temps were mid 80s, so jury still out a bit.
Aside from being extremely jealous (keys for 3 months), I am also embarrassed. I do have the 5500, had the 4000 on my mind due to searching for anything online and finding a lot of suggestions on the 4000. Thanks for the help/suggestions and correction on my model - appreciate the help
Old 04-24-2022, 10:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Aside from being extremely jealous (keys for 3 months), I am also embarrassed. I do have the 5500, had the 4000 on my mind due to searching for anything online and finding a lot of suggestions on the 4000. Thanks for the help/suggestions and correction on my model - appreciate the help
Volunteers at Bahia Honda SP, 4/1 - 6/30. Pretty awesome gig, DW volunteers, I work remote (17 yrs), beautiful here right now.

Gotcha, ok, sorry I don't have much in the way of feedback on the 5500. I have seen a few mods, where there was some type of scoop added to the bottom to force air in, but I also saw someone who routed that out the side under the bottom of the door so it was breathing fresh air from the side instead of hot air from the engine. Search this forum for 5500 and there's a few generator overheating threads...

Alot of them reference oil levels, throttle cable placement, fuel lines, scoops, not sure which one will fix yours. Sorry I can't help more.
Old 04-24-2022, 10:53 AM   #10

I don't have overheating issues with my Onan 4000 even here in Texas (at least not any issues that shut down the generator). However, I have often thought that if I did have overheating issues (or maybe just proactively), that I would obtain two smaller (~8") 12v radiator fans with one blowing cooling air into the generator compartment, likely at the front somewhere, and the second exhausting air back out of the compartment, likely at the rear side. I would power the fans with a 120v to 12v transformer of adequate size and only powered when the generator is operating. (likely along with a switch, perhaps a thermostatically controlled thermostatic switch). ~CA
Old 04-24-2022, 11:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Volunteers at Bahia Honda SP, 4/1 - 6/30. Pretty awesome gig, DW volunteers, I work remote (17 yrs), beautiful here right now.

Gotcha, ok, sorry I don't have much in the way of feedback on the 5500. I have seen a few mods, where there was some type of scoop added to the bottom to force air in, but I also saw someone who routed that out the side under the bottom of the door so it was breathing fresh air from the side instead of hot air from the engine. Search this forum for 5500 and there's a few generator overheating threads...

Alot of them reference oil levels, throttle cable placement, fuel lines, scoops, not sure which one will fix yours. Sorry I can't help more.

I had tried the other suggestions I found (throttle spring, potential vapor lock suggestions, oil, etc to no avail. I did just find what Mike suggested was up with his - fuel line under black tank (just a small corner on mine but it was crimping the fuel line by about a third to half. I was able to move it out from under so will check later this year to see if there is any improvement. Thanks again and enjoy the amazing gig.
Old 04-24-2022, 09:56 PM   #12

Quote:
(just a small corner on mine but it was crimping the fuel line by about a third to half.
That sounds exactly like my situation, just a small corner of the fuel line and when that tank expands it closes it off enough to stop the flow of gas.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:17 AM   #13

Here’s the plenum for the 5500 if anyone is interested. I believe they will install for free if under warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
EE1D4448-655A-40B8-B7E1-8EB3EE8ED12D.jpg   6A2C7D4E-64AF-4E63-AE75-533BECB0FFB4.jpg  
Old 04-25-2022, 05:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
Here’s the plenum for the 5500 if anyone is interested. I believe they will install for free if under warranty.
Thanks parrot. Do you have experience with it helping or resolving the issues? Unfortunately the nearby (still 25 miles away) entegra dealership had my coach for almost 6 months recently and appears to have done nothing on my list. Supposedly still waiting for the slide awning to replace mine with a tear...prefer to just do the work myself if I it helps and I can find where to get one (also,all the documentation for it I have seen is related to jayco - assume it would be the same for entegra?). May give them a call directly and try to get one in any case...
Old 04-25-2022, 08:42 AM   #15

Quote:
I did just find what Mike suggested was up with his - fuel line under black tank (just a small corner on mine but it was crimping the fuel line by about a third to half. I was able to move it out from under so will check later this year to see if there is any improvement.

Here's to hoping that was the issue... Good luck!!
Old 04-25-2022, 08:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Thanks parrot. Do you have experience with it helping or resolving the issues? Unfortunately the nearby (still 25 miles away) entegra dealership had my coach for almost 6 months recently and appears to have done nothing on my list. Supposedly still waiting for the slide awning to replace mine with a tear...prefer to just do the work myself if I it helps and I can find where to get one (also,all the documentation for it I have seen is related to jayco - assume it would be the same for entegra?). May give them a call directly and try to get one in any case...
I don’t have the plenum and haven’t had any issues so far but it stands to reason the cooling air exhaust right beside the cooling air intake under the 5500 along with all the exhaust and engine heat. On my 31 UL, the generator is located further back from the engine in front of the rear passenger wheel which may help keep from engine and exhaust heat.
Old 04-28-2022, 12:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-NM View Post
I had a similar problem with my 2015 Precept, except in my case the generator fuel line was routed over a frame cross member underneath one of the pass-thru bays. When the temperature heated up, the softened plastic material in the bay would flex under the weight and pinch the fuel line. It only happened when it was hot while we were on the road. I hope you get it solved as it can make traveling in summer unbearable.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:08 PM   #18

Quote:
I know this topic had some traction last summer, but was curious if anyone has any new info on the subject generator shutting down. Mine does it all the time when temps are above 90, the engine has been running for a while and I stop/idle for a few minutes (i.e. stoplight). My entegra vision 29f has a vented door and I have insulated fuel lines and also adjusted the spring position and nothing seems to help. After it shuts off, if I give it 10-15 minutes it starts right back up, but usually shuts down sooner any subsequent times. I do not have the plenum because the only people I saw that had it said it did not resolve their issue. Also, when I had it in for warranty work, the shop said they replaced the main board but we're unable to recreate the problem due to temps being lower. I am not confident they actually did anything as they didn't fix a few minor things they said they did and I am still waiting (4.5 months) for a replacement slide awning that has a tear in it.

Any additional suggestions for me to try on my own ahead of the summer season? Anybody have any luck resolving this for themselves?
Check your oil. My first RV would shut down, not due to high temps. I bout it to a good, private shop, in NE PA and he said when the oil is just low enough it will cut off. I am a believer in starting with the basics. Can’t hurt.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 02:20 PM   #19

generator

Quote:

Similar problem on my 5500, fuel pump was problem, easy cheap fix. Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 05:18 PM   #20

Our RV Dealer referred us to local Cummins dealer to look at if ness.

https://www.cummins.com/locations

#Bru_Tube

Alante31V is offline   Reply With Quote