Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2020, 12:11 AM   #1

Power issues- 2018 Alante 26x

Hi,

Just bought it used and the shore power was checked and re-checked. Power is clean and correct. All fuses are good inside and out. Interior lights won’t come on. Exterior lights will. A/C won’t come on. Generator will not come on either. Tried priming and starting on the actual generator itself. Slides will also not retract. It’s a perfect storm it seems. I feel like there is something In common connecting these features but not sure what needs to be replaced or reset. If anyone has any idea, please help!
DarnellDMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:04 AM   #2

All lighting is 12 volts DC. If Exterior lights work that you have power coming from your converter which is powered by 120 volts or you are working off the battery. How did you check the fuses? Volt Meter?

A/C is 120 volts. Shore power 30 amp 120 volts or 50 amp 240 volts. How was it checked? All legs checked with a volt meter.

Is this a MH? Is the battery disconnect on? Slides are 12 volts. Is battery charged?

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:29 AM   #3

I had an electrician come out to test the shore power and all the fuses. He tested the 12V battery and it’s measuring 8V. Shouldn’t the shore power recharge the battery? My generator won’t start either.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarnellDMac View Post
I had an electrician come out to test the shore power and all the fuses. He tested the 12V battery and it’s measuring 8V. Shouldn’t the shore power recharge the battery? My generator won’t start either.
Battery is dead-dead. Yes, shore power should charge the battery. Go back and answer my questions so I can help you. 30 or 50 amp. MH? Do you have a battery disconnect switch? it must be on. Converter on? Is your main circuit breaker on. Did you have the electrician look at the breaker panel? I'm guessing if he checked the fuses he had to come inside. Did he check all the circuit breakers?

You must provide lots of info for anybody to help.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:49 AM   #5

Yes, sorry. He did check the breakers. It’s 30amp. Class A motor home. Yes, the battery disconnect switch is on. As far as the converter, I’d have to look and see where that is. Can’t seem to find it by reading the manual.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:51 AM   #6

shore power should charge a good battery, I think it's time for a new one.
hummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:19 AM   #7

Just concerned that even if I get a new battery, I still have to figure out why shore power may not be charging the battery.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Yes, sorry. He did check the breakers. It’s 30amp. Class A motor home. Yes, the battery disconnect switch is on. As far as the converter, I’d have to look and see where that is. Can’t seem to find it by reading the manual.
You may have an inverter/charger. Can you give us a model #. If you do it must be ON You will have a a Converter or an Inverter/charger. One or the other. You might get your battery back to life but plane on buying a new one soon. that one won't last long.

Old 05-23-2020, 06:58 AM   #9

The model is 26x
Old 05-23-2020, 07:32 AM   #10

Just because your coach is a 2018 doesn’t necessarily mean the battery is only 2 years old. If your electrician only measured 8 volts on the battery then it’s highly unlikely you are going to get it back up to full charge. Possible, but very unlikely. If it were me that would be my first step. Replace the battery so you know you have a good starting point. Then you can start troubleshooting from there. And who knows, a new battery might be your solution. If it’s not at least that eliminates that as an issue and you can concentrate on other parts of the electrical system. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:33 AM   #11

Quote:
The model is 26x
This is like pulling teeth, Name? I can't look it up with just a model #. I have no way of knowing wither it is a converter or an inverter.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:16 AM   #12

Hi! I appreciate your response. I thought Alante 26x was the model. Are you looking for some time a model number?
Old 05-23-2020, 08:37 AM   #13

sounds like a dead cell? good battery place can test your old one under a load
Old 05-23-2020, 08:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Hi! I appreciate your response. I thought Alante 26x was the model. Are you looking for some time a model number?
no,no. the converter or inverter name and model #. Converter will be near the fuses. Inverter will be near the battery.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:35 AM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
One quick test to see if the converter is charging the battery is with a digital volt meter. He said the battery is reading 8 volts. That is a bad battery and needs replacing. BUT... you need to determine if the rig is charging...

So, with a digital volt meter, you measure the voltage unplugged from shore power. You should see the 8 volts. Now, plug into shore power. If the converter is working, you should see the voltage try to come up at the battery, as the converter will try and charge at between 13 - 14 volts...

If you DON'T see the voltage try to rise when plugged into shore power, you have a converter issues AND a dead battery.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:36 AM   #16
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Just concerned that even if I get a new battery, I still have to figure out why shore power may not be charging the battery.
Correct... just putting in a new battery if the system isn't charging will just kill the new battery quickly.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:51 AM   #17

why would a converter go so quick in 2 years? China junk?
Old 05-23-2020, 09:59 AM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummy View Post
why would a converter go so quick in 2 years? China junk?
It's a used unit, so who knows how it was taken care of... Could have experienced a surge or brownout when plugged in? Plus, these RV manufacturers are using the cheapest stuff they can buy. 2018 puts this rig under Thor management I believe.... you know the story there....
Old 05-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #19

If you know you have good power going TO the coach, but no power INSIDE, I'd suggest checking the automatic transfer switch. It could have a bad set of contacts that are not letting power through. That would explain nothing working on 120 volts and it would explain the converter not charging the battery since the converter would not be getting any power input.

Tags
electrical, generator, lights