Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #1

Precept 29v ???

Ok, I have been seriously looking at the 29v. After reading reviews on this site, I am thinking it may have more driving issues than a new rig should have. I have some experience driving RV’s (also dump trucks and heavy equipment), but I don’t want a squirrelly ride from a brand new rig that I have to spend thousands to correct. I chose the 29v because it’s just me and the dog, with occasional family trips. Can anyone provide feedback as to what I should expect as a driving experience?

Also, is the Alante just an entry level version compared to the Precept?

Thanks

Michael
mwsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:31 PM   #2

Alante is entry level and I believe the precept is also. Just maybe more lipstick. If you never drive over 55 it will drive and handle fine. Also many people say their rigs drive fine. Many do not. Take a long test drive.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:29 PM   #3

Having to drive 55 would suck, especially on freeways. And I suppose the CHF, trac bar and Safe-T-Plus would void the warranty.

Thank you for your response.

Michael
Old 04-10-2019, 06:13 AM   #4

It sounded weird but I have talked to guys that don't drive over 55. 'My ride and handling is fine'! They say. I'm with you. If additions might void the warranty I would ask Ford since it's their chassis but it seems a good many owners do them. My belief is the longer wheelbase and larger tires do help, although many of those owners modify also. If it gives you heartburn to spend extra dollars on handling, take a long freeway drive. All the motorhomes have 100's of miles anyway since they are driven to the dealer. Drive fast too. And when you get a toad the handling generally doesn't get better.

Good luck.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:16 PM   #5

I have owned my 29V since last September and its been a great MH for us...i drive between 60-65 and the ride has been just fine...Good luck on your decision!
makers55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:02 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback. Question: does your tranny have a tow or breaking mode for downhill?

Thanks
Michael
Old 04-11-2019, 04:27 AM   #7

All the Ford's after mid year 2015 have a six speed with tow haul mode. My rig was built August 2015 and has six speed. The tow haul works very well as I've used very little brake going down 11k feet monarch pass in Colorado. And it works good in normal operation.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:31 AM   #8

My 2 cents worth.

We have just over 9k miles on our 2016 Precept 35US. There are days when I think the front end is a wreck and other days when I have no problems so I guess road conditions are responsible for these feelings.

Research Ford F53 chassis handling complaints (I assume the 29V is on that platform?). Lots of comments both pro and con, lots of fixes, lots of money thrown at the problem by many owners, not just Jayco owners.

I installed the SafeTPlus stabilizer, which helped slightly but hopefully will be a lifesaver if I have a blowout on the front.

I did the CHF which helped immensely with body roll, big difference. Less body roll improved steer ability slightly.

I have mine scheduled for a front end alignment second week of June. It was aligned before I took delivery but was empty which the talking heads indicate that is not the correct way to align the front end.

I'm not going to throw $ at the problem but rather learn to live with it. Professional drivers indicate watching farther out in front will minimize the see sawing of the steering wheel. My last 2 days of travel back from FL last week indicates some positive improvement with this method.

I can confirm that on good straight road I can take my hands off the wheel and it will track straight and true for 1/4 to 1/2 mile. Likely I am more of the problem than the Precept front end.

I drive between 60 to 65, usually cruise is set at 63. I get passed a lot, especially 18 wheelers. They push a huge pressure wave in front of them and it will push you to the side (you are driving a big sail) so be prepared. Un-nerving at first but eventually you get used to it.

IMHO, any Class A on the Ford F53 chassis is going to have some steer ability issues, some more so than others. Like recommended above, take a long test drive on an interstate highway. Backroads and other secondary highways with a 55 speed limit are NOT a good test drive.

Good luck on your choice.