Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-16-2022, 07:08 PM   #1

Precept center console mod

I've been wondering how to securely attach our Garmin RV 1090 GPS to the top of the console so it doesn't vibrate out of position while driving. I quickly rejected the thought of drilling through the top.

I came up with an idea of using 2 pieces of plywood -- a 5/8"minus base beneath a finished top of 1/4" cherry plywood scrap that I had left over from another project. (Luan would work as well); a thumb screw and T-nut. (This solution is for our 2022, but it can be adapted to any model year with a slightly recessed tray atop the console.)

I first made a cardboard template for the base, tracing it on the thicker piece of plywood, and cut it until it fit just enough so it wouldn't be apt to shift. I made another template for the top and cut that piece out. I used a rasp and then a random orbital sander to smooth out the fit.

I glued the top to the bottom and gave it a coat of Saman's Wood Stain, #108 Black, which covered the plywood beautifully in one coat and matches the console pretty well. Once dry, I gave it several spray coats of poly as a finish.

I drilled a 5/16" hole in the mount for the Garmin to allow for a 1/4" knurled screw. I then drilled a shallow but slightly larger hole in the plywood base using a forstner bit to accept a 1/4" T-nut, and switched to a twist bit to complete a hole through the top (taking care not to blow out the wood fibers on the finished side) for the knurled thumb screw to pass through.

This means of attachment allows me to rotate the screen either towards the driver or passenger as needed. Also, this platform (and the GPS unit) is removable, so the console can serve other purposes when parked.

It works well. I have other devices to sit on this top, but for now I'll not drill any additional holes unless necessary, as they're less of a problem with shifting while on the road, and once I'm satisfied with their positions.

The only thing left to do is to cleanly route the power cables.
Attached Thumbnails
20221121_151437.jpg   20221121_150718.jpg   20221216_160206.jpg   20221216_160231.jpg   20221216_191836.jpg  

Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 08:53 PM   #2

Great lookin' project......well done, podnuh. I'll be a copycat one day; but first, I have to get my old Garmin 760 to die (and with its much smaller size, the "bean bag" mount has always worked well for me.)

Great invention, those T-nuts.

Good times and safe travels to ya.
Toad: 2016 Kia Soul w/6-spd DIY
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 11:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post
Great lookin' project......well done, podnuh. I'll be a copycat one day; but first, I have to get my old Garmin 760 to die (and with its much smaller size, the "bean bag" mount has always worked well for me.)

Great invention, those T-nuts.

Good times and safe travels to ya.
Thanks man! I remember those bean bag mounts -- I think my first TomTom came with one.
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 10:38 PM   #4

I finally opened up the ol’ wallet and let the moths out…..and bought a Garmin 1090. I had planned to copy Finally Able’s nifty method for mounting one, but they changed the 31 UL’s dash geometry significantly between 2020 (my year) and Finally Able’s 2022 as I don’t have that nice, large flat area on mine. SOooo I mounted it in a different way and decided to document it here for the possible benefit of others. BTW- Like Finally Able, I didn't think much of Garmin's suggestion to screw the mount down to the dash with the nice long screws provided. Holy Cow !!!!

I am hoping that my location will allow me to see the major parts of the screen with my peripheral vision, but not sure about that.

I started with a fairly thick/substantial electrical J-box cover as a base that I could drill and tap. Big box stores have ‘em for about a buck.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/RACO-2-Gang...-Cover/3129183

I hacksawed and filed the corners off the J-box cover, drilled and tapped it for 6-32 screws and painted the top surface (only) to make a mount that I could bond to the dash with 3M VHB tape. It seems super strong. The mount stays with the coach and I just rotate the Garmin unit off of its base (it’s held with a v e r y strong magnet) and program it on my lap using a separate power supply….. then hold it close to its mount as the base magnet grabs it and locks it back into position for travel. Works surprisingly well. Planning on a short trip soon to give it a “certification test” of sorts.

I also mounted my TST monitor in a similar manner. I’ll put together a separate post on that soon.

Best…………. Ed S in Denver
Attached Thumbnails
Tapped Plate.jpg   Mnt is ready for tape.jpg   Mnt taped in place.jpg   Dash 1.jpg   Dash 2.jpg  

Toad: 2016 Kia Soul w/6-spd DIY
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote