Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2018, 03:53 PM   #1

Problem automatic transfer switch on Precept

We are about to replace our 3rd automatic transfer switch in our 2016 Jayco Precept 31UL. Has anyone else had the problem with the shore power side freezing up?
spitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:07 AM   #2

Someone on Facebook had a transfer switch problem and I think it was no shore power and generator power ok. I replaced my first transfer switch because it was noisy and right under the bed.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:04 AM   #3

I had intermittent power problems in our first RV and it turned out to be the transfer switch. It was cheap and easy to replace. On mine the neutral side of the relay wouldn’t awlways maintain proper contact.

By “Freezing up” what is happening? Are the contacts welded together or is the coil on the relay not being energized?

After a couple problems in a row I’d say something else is damaging your switch rather than the switch just failing.
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:32 PM   #4

I must be lucky, My transfer switch under the bed in our 2016 31ul is quiet and we not experienced any problems. But then again, we always have our toes crossed
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:43 PM   #5

I replaced mine with a quite version- works great and no more high pitch whine!
Farris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:52 PM   #6

Well, just to add to this thread, my ATS is from Progressive Dynamics, model number PD52C working fine with no hum. I just read all the customer reviews on Amazon and it was enlightening.
Probably explains why some units hum and others do not. 50 cycle coils to 60 cycle coils. Also why some folks have electrical problems with their generators after it HAD been working OK.
One individual changed his to another brand that used DC coils and no hum. Slightly more expensive, but solved his problem. Check it out and happy reading.
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:57 AM   #7

I have a 2017 Precept 31UL and can't not get shore power to work, checked breakers, GFI and confirmed with digital surge protector 114V at plug in post. All signs lead back to ATS not working. Read this thread and further convinced it is the ATS unit (Surge Guard Model 4010) is the issue, so doing more research on the unit the manufacture by Southwire and reading their FAQ page and it says this "The manufacturer recommends mounting the unit any way other than flat where the label is facing the sky. Vertically or horizontally upside down (label facing
the earth) is advised" Which is exactly the way the unit is mounted from Jayco. So I'm not sure if that is what is causing the early failures. I did email Southwire and waiting on response. Any additional input or recomindations for a better ATS unit is welcomed
The Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:30 AM   #8

Located and purchased the ATS and had a friend bring it to camp. It wasn't a difficult replacement for two mechanical guys, however I would suggest snapping a quick picture before you dive into it. Replacing the unit did fix our problem and we were able to have shore power for the rest of the weekend. Next project is to replace the GFI plug because several outlets (bathroom, kitchen and hall) all do not have power. Not sure if this is a result of the ATS acting up or just dumb luck.

**Side note: Now that I have looked under the bed, replaced the ATS unit and had to listen to the hum of the invertor come on and off all night, I would ask Jayco if this really is the best design? In my mind from the noise to the high risk of electrical fire why would you ever put this under the bed? Yes everything is on a breaker and has fail safes but really? Probabaly something I would look closure at on my next purchase. Other than that loving our new to us Jayco Precept!
The Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 12:29 PM   #9

Reverse polarity in the coach when shore power used.

The recepticals work properly when the generator is powering the coach but show reversed polarity when using shore power. I removed the batteries to charge them a few weeks ago and hooked them up incorrectly at first than fixed the problem. Any help out there?
bullskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:39 AM   #10

Are you sure its a good source at the shore power post. Do you have a way to check power at the shore power side?

Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 10:05 AM   #11

Yes, power source and adapters are proper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
Are you sure its a good source at the shore power post. Do you have a way to check power at the shore power side?
What inside the coach might cause this?
Old 04-01-2022, 10:06 AM   #12

Power source is the proper polarity. What inside the Jayco 31UL might be interupting this polarity? Could it be something I missed at the batteries or did incorrectly?
Old 04-01-2022, 10:30 AM   #13

Batteries have nothing to do with the transfer switch and going between shore power & generator. Wires would have to be switched in the transfer switch.