Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #21

I'm not concerned about them getting stolen to be resold. In fact I've never had anything stolen at a CG before. And I'm not talking about teens looking for beer. Just kids fooling around, well, being kids. Putting the bars away is one less thing for them to mess with.

When you were a kid, didn't you ever pick up some hunk of metal or a big stick and whack trees and such with it? Maybe not, but I was one of those kids who did a lot of stupid stuff like that. So I tend to think about what kids might be tempted to do.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #22
Lost in the Woods

I guess I just never worry about that stuff. Would be quite a kid to swing around my Equalizer bars. I wouldn't want to mess with him.

nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #23

Yea, ever drop one on your foot? Not fun I can tell you. My wife could hear me yelling from in the house.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:51 PM   #24

First year I had my camper I didn't lock up my bars and L clips. My bars leaned against my a-frame, the L clips went through the holes in the L bracket and were clipped in.

Someone stole one of my L clips off the trailer. Luckily I had a spare in my cargo area. Since then, I lock everything up. I can only imagine that someone lost one of theirs and saw mine unattended and took it.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
yes..L brackets and the head
I don't grease the L brackets on my E4 since that reduces the friction that provides the anti-sway. I do grease the head and the ball.
2011 Jayco Select 28U
Equal-i-zer 1200/12000
Rotochocks

gone 2003 Chev 4x4 5.3 Extended cab
gone 1991 Award Classic 30
owenssailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:00 AM   #26
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenssailor View Post
I don't grease the L brackets on my E4 since that reduces the friction that provides the anti-sway. I do grease the head and the ball.
I do as stated on page 26 of the manual. Works great. The main sway control of the Equalizer is not by any friction from the L brackets
Old 09-24-2014, 06:43 AM   #27

I put the greasy ends of the WD bars in a plastic bag and slide into the pass through storage area.
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #28

Quote:
I do as stated on page 26 of the manual. Works great. The main sway control of the Equalizer is not by any friction from the L brackets
Is your Equal-i-zer not a 4-point sway WDH? If it is, two of your friction sway control points are on the L brackets, the other 2 are on the hitch head.

Referencing the instructions, it seems odd to me that in the same couple of paragraphs, they state that the L brackets provide friction sway control, then list lubricant as "optional".

In the instructions for my Fastway E2, it specifically says NOT to lubricate the friction points. I used Vaseline on mine for a while, but I wiped it off a couple tows ago, and the noise has remained diminished. Perhaps it's because these are the only 2 friction points in that application....

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #29
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
In the instructions for my Fastway E2, it specifically says NOT to lubricate the friction points. I used Vaseline on mine for a while, but I wiped it off a couple tows ago, and the noise has remained diminished. Perhaps it's because these are the only 2 friction points in that application....
That is why the E4 is a far superior hitch. My dealer had originally ordered the E2 and I said no way.

Yes the L brackets provide some "friction" sway but the important control is in the head.
2 pieces of painted enameled steel are not going to provide any friction IMO. I prefer not having the irritating squeak. YMMV
Old 09-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #30

Quote:
That is why the E4 is a far superior hitch. My dealer had originally ordered the E2 and I said no way.

Yes the L brackets provide some "friction" sway but the important control is in the head.
2 pieces of painted enameled steel are not going to provide any friction IMO. I prefer not having the irritating squeak. YMMV
Yeah, the E2 is a stop-gap for now. It works pretty well actually, sway control and weight distribution, but I'm going to sell it to my brother to use with his enclosed utility trailer. Then I'm getting the Equal-i-zer 1200/12000. With the 4 point sway. With the increased capacity over my current 1000/10000 setup, I should be MUCH better off. Shoulda written it into my original purchase, but it wasn't offered as an option, and I didn't know.

What lubricant do you use on your L brackets? I know Equal-i-zer brand sells some specifically for use with their hitches, but curious what you use.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote