Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2018, 07:10 AM   #1

Question Installing MyRV/OneControl

Finally, a real excuse to post a new thread!

Being the techie that I am, and living in a SmartHome with over 300 connected devices, the only disappointment I have with our new Eagle HT 30.5MLOK is that it didn't come with the MyRV or OneControl systems. We just got the small 2.5" wireless touch screen remote, which is still more than our last camoper had.

Not being one to pass up on an excuse to tinker, I've decided to make it a project to install the MyRV/OneControl system. I'm wondering if anyone has undertaken this so far, and if so I would like to hear your experiences.

Since installing just only the MyRv touch screen wouldn't give any real vsalue, I've decided to start by adding tank level monitoring. The tank level monitor looks very interesting as it also has 4 outputs for controlling the water pump, and gas/electric portions of the water heater.

I've decided to break this into 3 stages. The first will be to install the tank level system and the MyRv touch panel. When everything is confirmed to be working, ther second stage will be to add the Lippert OneControl WiFi interface which looks to be nothing more than a CANBUS to Ethernet bridge. The final stage, probably not until next year, will be to add install the Ground Control system and integrate that into the MyRv system via CANBUS.

For stage 1 this is the list of parts ordered so far:
  • Lippert LCI MyRV 406345 5" One Control Touch Panel
  • Lippert LCI MyRV Tank Monitor 18451

I still need to source a 2' Lippert CANBUS cable, and a CANBUS cable to connect to the touch scrreen (length undetermined). I cannot find any online retailers who sell that part. (To be fair, I haven't reached out to Lippert or my dealer as of yet). I don't believe I'm missing any major components at this point.

There is still one question I am seeking answers to...

Can tank levels be read by two devices (physical panel / MyRv Tank Level Sensor)?? Tank levels are just a resistor pack that connects to ground and sends a specific voltage to the panel. I would think paralleling these would not be an issue. Perhaps someone with the MyRv or OneControl system can chime in. Do you have a physical monitor panel in addition to the touch screen, and do both report tank levels?

It'll be a week or so until all parts are in. I'll keep this thread updated with my progress. I hope this all works out!

Thanks for any help and encouragement!
Shackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #2

All parts ordered!

A quick Wednesday update...

The Lippert 18451 tank level monitor will be arriving today while the 406345 touch screen controller should be here tomorrow.

I was able to order both a 2 foot and 10 foot CANBUS cable from Lippert yesterday. Those parts are scheduled to ship today and should arrive by the middle of next week.

At this point I believe I have all of the parts and documentation to get started.

The only outstanding question I have is running parallel tank level monitoring (panel & MyRv) and what, if any impacts that will have. That will probably require a call to Lippert support.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:37 PM   #3

Please post part numbers when you can - I am interested in some of what you are doing - Maybe not now but in the future...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:13 AM   #4

Part numbers...

Lippert #406345 5" One Control Touch Panel. (eBay)
Lippert #18451 LCI MyRV Tank Monitor. (eBay)
Lippert #331111 Canbus Data Harness - 2'. (Lippert)
Lippert #331114 Canbus Data Harness - 10'. (Lippert)

I went with a 10 foot CANBUS cable to connect the LCD.

I received both the touch screen and tank monitor yesterday. The touch screen is simply a cheap Android tablet. It didn't come with a power cable, but has a mini USB port. It powered on using a USB cable I had laying around.

On the touch panel there is a 2 pin Molex which could be for 12v DC, 2 CANBUS connectors, a 1/8" jack, and a mini USB port.

I'l going to reach out to Lippert about the use of the mystery molex connector. I'm guessing it's a CANBUS power connector as outlined in the manual as it fits the shape and size. Depending on cost I'll either buy that part, or I'll wire up a 12v USB power supply behind the wall.

So far so good...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2396.jpg   IMG_2398.jpg   IMG_2401.jpg   IMG_2402.jpg  
Old 08-30-2018, 08:40 AM   #5

I confirmed with Lippert that the 2 pin molex is a CANBUS power connector for supplying 12v directly to the touchscreen.

I ordered a couple additional items from Lippert..

Lippert #329080 Canbus Power Connector. I ordered 2 of these, so I have an extra for any future mods.

Lippert #333041 Canbus Terminating Resistor. This probably isn't necessary, as there should already be an established CANBUS network. But if for some reason there isn't, a pair of terminators will be needed for each end. It was probablty a waste of $27, but better to have it than not.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:34 AM   #6

Red face Update...

The CANBUS resistors and power connectors came in Saturday as we were headed out camping for the long weekend. Yesterday I learned that the CANBUS data cable (10 foot) are on backorder for another week. I asked Lippert to change the order and swap the 10 footers for 5 foot cables instead. Those will be arriving tomorrow.

Growing impatient, mostly because of the $$ I've risked, I decided to set up a lab with the touch screen and the tank level monitor. Since CANBUS a simple serial protocol over UTP (unshielded twisted pair) wire a pair of alligator clips was all that was needed to connect the tank level monitor to the touch screen. Installed the CANBUS resistors and powered everything on.

The good news is that everything worked! After accessing the advanced features (aka setup) menus, the touch screen immediately recognized the tank level monitor and all of it's I/O channels and allowed me to configure them. Even better I was able to toggle the relays that will be used to turn on the gas and electric water heater elements as well as the water pump. My investment is sound!

Now for the bad news, I routed out the opening in the hallway wall for the touch screen tablet (it installs recessed into the wall) and was able to run some additional cables from my rooftop WiFi hotspot (Connect 2). Unfortunately, the cable routing from this location to the control panel is blocked by wall bracing. I'm not able to fish anything through. Unfortunately, going to need something longer than 5 foot CANBUS cables so it looks like I'll be soldering extensions to them.

A few things I've learned so far...
  • My trailer (Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK) has only a Lippert 8 function controller.
  • There are no CANBUS cables connected to the controller.
  • There are no slide out control modules that I can tell, those would connect via CANBUS to be controllable.
  • The Lippert 8 function controller does everything (2 slide outs, landing gear, stabs, awning, & lighting.)
  • 2 functions on the controller aren't used. This opens the door to some additional future "mods".

I also need to source some really small black screws for securing the touch screen to the mounting frame. Mine did not come with any. Not a show stopper, but they ensure that the touch screen doesn't fall out on bumpy roads.

More to follow...
Old 09-05-2018, 08:33 AM   #7

Keep up the good work! Love to see these types of mods

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:05 AM   #8

This is so far over my head it's not even funny. But I'm going to watch anyway. Keep it going. Also we like pictures.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #9

The 8-port controller should in fact control your slides...

I have the same 8-port controller in my '17 HT 26BHS - but instead of the fancy tablet, I've just got the hand held remote - which, does control the slide.

I'm betting that once you connect your tablet / controller to the same can-bus, you'll see some "optional" things you can control on the controller and i'm betting the slide(s) will be one of them. Just a hunch.

I too enjoy getting into projects like this.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:48 AM   #10

Cool Success! It CAN be done!

Since we are headed out camping this afternoon, last night made for one very late night wrapping up the first stages of this project. I decided to mount the tank level sensor in the electrical space behind the converter under the bathroom sink. The wiring behind the existing monitor panel was a mess. Thanks Jayco! That decision added a couple hours on to the work since I lacked a wiring diagram, it was necessary to trace and test the wires for the tank levels, water heater gas/electric, and water pump.

I also had to fish wires through the wall to the control panel for the CANBUS data cable to connect to the 8 channel controller, plus I fished power for my Winegard Connect 2 system and installed a physical switch, and I also pulled the observation camera power cable back from the bedroom and fished it up to the monitor panel and installed a switch there (instead of the bedroom).

I'm not a fan of using quick-tap connectors however they're used extensively throughout the trailer. After identifying the wiring and pulling a few inches from the monitor panel for slack, I simply quick-tapped the tank level harness directly to them. Easy peasy, although working under the bathroom sink absolutely sucked.

Configuration was fairly simple, even without the manual one could figure it out fairly quickly. Accessing the settings menu (5 taps in the top left corner), the tablet identified all of the CANBUS connected devices right away without any issue. All that was required for setting up the 8 function controller was to name what each channel was. Fuse information was downloaded from the controller and did not require any changes.

Configuring the tank level monitor was just as easy. Each of the output relays required a specific function to be selected and a name chosen. The tank level channels only needed to be selected as "tank" and a name chosen. As an extra bonus, I used only three output channels on the tank level module so I wired up my rooftop WiFi Hotspot to the 4th and defined it as a light switch. Really cool!

When configuration was complete, the tablet automatically populated the home screen with the appropriate icons. So in the end, I've been able to control everything that I set out to. It's really cool to be able to switch on the pump, or water heater using the touch screen and still have the monitor panel switches light up.
  • Bedroom and Main Slide In/Out
  • Awning In/Out.
  • Porch light On/Off.
  • Landing Gear Up/Down.
  • Rear Stabilizers Up/Down.
  • Water Pump On/Off.
  • Electric Water Heat On/Off.
  • Gas Water Heat On/Off.
  • Rooftop 4G/WiFi On/Off.
  • Black Tank Level
  • Gray 1 & Gray 2 Levels

Here's the list of parts I used to make this work...
  • Lippert LCI MyRV #406345 5" One Control Touch Panel. ($100 eBay)
  • Lippert LCI MyRV #18451 Tank Monitor. ($180 eBay)
  • Lippert #331111 Canbus Data Harness - 2'. ($21.95 Lippert)
  • Lippert #331114 Canbus Data Harness - 10'. ($14.95 Lippert)
  • Lippert #329080 Canbus Power Connector (QTY 2). ($8.95 Lippert)
  • Lippert #333041 Canbus Terminating Resistor. ($8.95 Lippert)

Being pleased with the job so far, I took the plunge and ordered the Ground Control 3.0 system after ensuring that the leveling controller that is supplied with the kit is MyRV (CANBUS) compatible so it can be added into the network. That should be another fun project when it arrives!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2456 2.jpg   IMG_2459.jpg   IMG_2462.jpg   IMG_2463.jpg  
Old 09-08-2018, 07:32 AM   #11

Shackrat

Great job! Did you start off with the small handheld remote that looks like an iPod? I have started to add some home automation devices in my house and I would like to add the touch panel to my north point. Newer models come with it but my ‘16 only has the remote. I wonder if having the remote would make the upgrade any easier/simpler?

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:35 AM   #12

Following this one for sure.
Our 2017 Eagle 321rsts fw has the one control tablet, one control wifi controller, the 5 port controller for 3 slides, 1awning and 1 awning light. Trailer has the second awning and light but you can only control it with the toggle switches no control on the tablet. The tank monitor looks pretty cool. Wondering if I could add it to monitor 1 fresh, 2 gray, and black tank plus add my awning and awning light. Same idea as OP ond his wifi hotspot. I already use the android app so being able to monitor the black tank fill level when flushing tank from the outside would be nice functional addition

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Shackrat

Great job! Did you start off with the small handheld remote that looks like an iPod? I have started to add some home automation devices in my house and I would like to add the touch panel to my north point. Newer models come with it but my ‘16 only has the remote. I wonder if having the remote would make the upgrade any easier/simpler?
Thanks! I did start with the small wireless remover which also looks like the original iPhone. Unfortunately that remote is limited to whatever channels are available on the contol board. It has no ability to “see” other devices on the CANBUS network. It’s still useful for me to control the ladding gear and stabs but that’s about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
Following this one for sure.
Our 2017 Eagle 321rsts fw has the one control tablet, one control wifi controller, the 5 port controller for 3 slides, 1awning and 1 awning light. Trailer has the second awning and light but you can only control it with the toggle switches no control on the tablet. The tank monitor looks pretty cool. Wondering if I could add it to monitor 1 fresh, 2 gray, and black tank plus add my awning and awning light. Same idea as OP ond his wifi hotspot. I already use the android app so being able to monitor the black tank fill level when flushing tank from the outside would be nice functional addition

RoadrunnerII
The good news is that you’ve already got a CANBUS network established between the 5 port controller and the WiFi gateway. The bad news is that we don’t know what is being used for a controller for your second awning. You will need to locate that and see if it’s CANBUS capable. If it is, then you need to run a pair of cables to it.

I see no reasons why the tank level monitor won’t work. For the tank levels, you just need to source the tank level monitor, connect it into the CANBUS network and make about a dozen connections for the tank sensors and water pump/heater controls.

This was such a simple mod, I just cannot fathom why this equipment isn’t standard across more models.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:13 AM   #14

So I am not canbus literate really but I am retired IT guy and farm raised. I can figure most things out. So when you say awning controller you lost me a bit. Second awning and light are in the main switch panel on switches. Are you saying there is another controller somewhere or needed? I am thinking extend retract and stop are really monetary contacts. Awning light is on or off. Main awning is on the 5 port controller. Main awning light is on the light port on the 5 port controller. Also not finding the lippert tank monitor listed on ebay Can you list a link possibly?

RoadrunnerII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shackrat View Post
Thanks! I did start with the small wireless remote which also looks like the original iPhone. Unfortunately that remote is limited to whatever channels are available on the contol board. It has no ability to “see” other devices on the CANBUS network. It’s still useful for me to control the ladding gear and stabs but that’s about it.

The good news is that you’ve already got a CANBUS network established between the 5 port controller and the WiFi gateway. The bad news is that we don’t know what is being used for a controller for your second awning. You will need to locate that and see if it’s CANBUS capable. If it is, then you need to run a pair of cables to it.

I see no reasons why the tank level monitor won’t work. For the tank levels, you just need to source the tank level monitor, connect it into the CANBUS network and make about a dozen connections for the tank sensors and water pump/heater controls.

This was such a simple mod, I just cannot fathom why this equipment isn’t standard across more models.

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
So I am not canbus literate really but I am retired IT guy and farm raised. I can figure most things out. So when you say awning controller you lost me a bit. Second awning and light are in the main switch panel on switches. Are you saying there is another controller somewhere or needed? I am thinking extend retract and stop are really monetary contacts. Awning light is on or off. Main awning is on the 5 port controller. Main awning light is on the light port on the 5 port controller. Also not finding the lippert tank monitor listed on ebay Can you list a link possibly?

RoadrunnerII
I’m actually hiking at the moment so I’ll post a couple links later. You most likely have another controller for the awning. These Lippert controllers use reverse polarity relays to control motors with a single pair of wires. See if you can find it. My guess is that there is one somewhere.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #16

Here’s a link to the MyRv/OneControl Components document as promised.

I have been wanting to add some exterior worklights near the dump valves and outdoor kitchen. Our past RVs have had worklights with integrated switches but those have a tendency to be left on and not discovered until late at night and when it’s raining.

Then there’s my aversion to making holes all over the place for interior switches. I decided to risk it with one last addition to MyRv for the season and ordered the Lighting Control Module (#318751).

I wasn’t able to gather a ton of intel on this before ordering. It appears to be a 9 channel latching relay board although the Lippert parts guy made a reference to it being a dimmer.

I guess I’ll find out when it arrives which is 1-2 weeks off since they’ve got to “build” one. The plan is to use the MyRv control panel to control the exterior worklights I install. I may wire in the bathroom lighting and fan since they’re in close proximity to where the controller will be located.

I’ll update once the parts arrive.

Next season I’ll add the WiFi components so we can access the system with our smart phones.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:58 PM   #17

Does that 18451 tank level monitor just work the same as the original one by reading from the metal studs?

I have some custom stuff in my fiver for battery monitoring using a microctrlr sending UDP pkts to a Pi w/touchscreen and a touchscreen above the original switch panel.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
Does that 18451 tank level monitor just work the same as the original one by reading from the metal studs?

I have some custom stuff in my fiver for battery monitoring using a microctrlr sending UDP pkts to a Pi w/touchscreen and a touchscreen above the original switch panel.
Yes it does. It integrates with the existing wiring and resistor pack that feeds the LED monitoring panel. One caveat is that you cannot run both as that lowers the resistance in the circuit and raises the measured voltage. Tank levels are measured by placing a voltage across a resistor pack connected to the tank probes. The higher the voltage measured, the fuller the tank.

If you add the tank level sensor, you'll need to disconnect the panel. If you wanted to run both panels you could propbably insert a resistor inline with the wire running to the tank to correct for the lower resistance of running both systems, but for me it's just easier to disconnect the LED panel.

Cool project with the Pi by the way. I have 5 of them around the house monitoring APC UPS's and sending data to Smartthings. Have you thought about trying to implement other uses within your camper with it?
Old 09-13-2018, 09:13 AM   #19

Whew... you guys have lost me but it's exciting. I'm lucky to get the few smart outlets and my google home to work the with Nest thermostat!
CHV_FRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shackrat View Post
Cool project with the Pi by the way. I have 5 of them around the house monitoring APC UPS's and sending data to Smartthings. Have you thought about trying to implement other uses within your camper with it?
I was monitoring the solar CC but I've switched controllers so I need to rewrite that code.

Curious why you'd bother with the probe tank sensors as they're unreliable. My blk/gry are only good when I just emptied and flushed the tanks, otherwise the readings are bogus. I had made a sensor that treated the tank as the capacitor in an oscillator that was tied to an 8266 board. Worked on my bench but not in the trailer. Waiting for some parts from eBay to try another method. Buying a SeaLevel system is just too easy.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote