Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2016, 09:36 PM   #1

Installing on exterior wall

Hope this is the right form/thread for this. I tried to attach this to an on going thread and had no replies.
I need to mount a board with five coat hooks on it to an exterior wall. (Board is 24” x 2 1/2” x 3/4”) I have had it secured to the wall with two strips of 1-inch-wide double sided Velcro. It has stayed for almost three years but now it is pulling away from the wall and pulling a wallpaper seam with it.
I would like to secure it with screws and still use the Velcro but I am not sure what to use on the outside wall? What the thickness is? And how would a “molly bolt” work in a foam filled wall?
Would a stud-finder work on the Trailer studs??
We are open to ideas.
Rhonda & Matt send……….
RowMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:54 PM   #2

A molly bolt will work fine. Just be super careful when drilling the hole, and put a stop block on the bit, or you might get a surprise star crack on the outside filon. I've done it while drilling holes before. Interior walls are only 1/8" thick wallpaper coated luan. The good thing is with the laminated wall, it's all glued. Total wall thickness inside to out is 2". I'm not sure if a stud finder would work or not. I think they do, but can't remember. Never tried one. We've mounted all kinds of stuff to the wall, and had success with the combination of screws and Velcro. I might would try that first. If you find a stud, I'd still utilize the screw and Velcro over the moly bolt. Reason, when we've sold our rigs, we remove stuff and putty up the holes. Can't do that with a molly bolt.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:54 AM   #3

If you email Jayco or your dealer with your VIN, you may be able to get schematics of the unit so you know where the studs are or if there are any backers in place. I did this for my 2016 29.5 through my dealer and I have a PDF files of the build. Hope this helps
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spepi View Post
If you email Jayco or your dealer with your VIN, you may be able to get schematics of the unit so you know where the studs are or if there are any backers in place. I did this for my 2016 29.5 through my dealer and I have a PDF files of the build. Hope this helps
X2, Jayco, was very helpful with the floor drawings for me.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:40 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. I will try screws before the molly Bolts. I have contacted Jayco and they have given me the drawing for my curbside wall of my trailer. I will use it to locate where to install the coatrack. Matt sends.........thanks for the help.
RowMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowMatt View Post
Hope this is the right form/thread for this. I tried to attach this to an on going thread and had no replies.
I need to mount a board with five coat hooks on it to an exterior wall. (Board is 24” x 2 1/2” x 3/4”) I have had it secured to the wall with two strips of 1-inch-wide double sided Velcro. It has stayed for almost three years but now it is pulling away from the wall and pulling a wallpaper seam with it.
I would like to secure it with screws and still use the Velcro but I am not sure what to use on the outside wall? What the thickness is? And how would a “molly bolt” work in a foam filled wall?
Would a stud-finder work on the Trailer studs??
We are open to ideas.
Rhonda & Matt send……….
Ok here is what I used to put up my firewalls for my Wood stove in my 5'er. This works awesome! 8 mos. ago Gorilla Glue Company Made a VERY STRONG Glue Its called Gorilla Construction Adhesive! Its awesome I hung 3 walls of Durock ( Fire board 1/2" covered with Stainless steel. I have 1X1 planks glued to the back of the fire board and when it dried I then glued the 1X1 plank directly to the wall. Then put some 2X4 planks against each fire board to make sure that the glue would hold to the wall with pressure. 24 hours later I removed the 2X4 planks and the fire board walls are as solid as a rock!. IMHO its a thousand times better than liquid Nails.

Specs:
All weather -- holds in 30 seconds -- Paintable
Here is what you can use it on....
Brick, Molding, masonary, wood, wet surfaces, flooring, marble Concrete, Fiberglass, aluminum and hell of a lot more.

Hope that helps
hozerdude is offline   Reply With Quote