Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-25-2020, 06:35 PM   #1

USB Ports

Added some 12v USB ports to the nightstands, my 2019 came with none. Fast charging and work great. I chose these because they do not have any lights to annoy or draw power when not in use. I removed the dust caps, but may put them back if they get dirty.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
USB Charger Nightstand Drivers side.jpg   USB Charger Nightstand Pass side.jpg  
Old 12-25-2020, 08:17 PM   #2

I like that! I've got 120v plugs on both sides of the master bed but they are down LOW under the nightstands. Very hard to get to and hardly enough charging cord because they are down so low.
I'm gonna have to make this a springtime mod for mine. I'm sure I can find a 12v power wire in the bed slide somewhere.
Old 12-25-2020, 08:23 PM   #3

Nice, I like having lots of 12 volt power points.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 09:44 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBob View Post
Added some 12v USB ports to the nightstands, my 2019 came with none. Fast charging and work great. I chose these because they do not have any lights to annoy or draw power when not in use. I removed the dust caps, but may put them back if they get dirty...
Nice job on your installation. However, I think your post needs a little clarification. The power output of a USB port is 5 VDC. If you have 12 VDC at those ports, you could to be in deep doo-doo with whatever you plug into it. I hope you meant the 12 VDC for the input voltage and there's a step down to make the output side 5 VAC.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
Nice job on your installation. However, I think your post needs a little clarification. The power output of a USB port is 5 VDC. If you have 12 VDC at those ports, you could to be in deep doo-doo with whatever you plug into it. I hope you meant the 12 VDC for the input voltage and there's a step down to make the output side 5 VAC.
Yes, those USB receptacles have built-in voltage reducers.

I'm a fan of putting in 12v cigarette lighter outlets. That way, I can buy USB cigarette lighter adapters that account for the newest USB technology. For example, in a few years when I have USB-C devices or devices that utilize charging technology that supersedes QC3.0, I can buy the newest USB cigarette lighter adapter instead of switching out the entire outlet.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Added some 12v USB ports to the nightstands, my 2019 came with none. Fast charging and work great. I chose these because they do not have any lights to annoy or draw power when not in use. I removed the dust caps, but may put them back if they get dirty.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks, I've been looking for ones with no lights!

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:06 PM   #7

Thanks Bob, I really didn't think anyone would consider that I was putting 12 volts through a USB especially with a link to them. I guess I should have said "powered" by 12 volt.

I toyed with the exact scenario you speak of but, so far, USB has always been backwards compatible so I went ahead and put these in. They are very easy to access and change if I ever need to. We've been camping since last Saturday and I love them.

I am going to install some USB cigarette style outlets with adapters in the bunk area for just that reason because they will not be easily changed out.
Old 12-30-2020, 01:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by colby View Post
Thanks, I've been looking for ones with no lights!
Been using them since Saturday and so far they are working great.
Old 12-30-2020, 05:17 PM   #9

Quote:
I toyed with the exact scenario you speak of but, so far, USB has always been backwards compatible so I went ahead and put these in. They are very easy to access and change if I ever need to. We've been camping since last Saturday and I love them.
Ahh, that's a really good point for me to keep in mind. Since these usually have two spade connectors on the back and are a pretty standard diameter, switch-out is as simple as unscrewing the tightening ring and disconnecting the two spade connectors.

They also look nicer than the gaping hole of a cigarette lighter outlet. Thanks for giving me a different perspective to think about.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
Ahh, that's a really good point for me to keep in mind. Since these usually have two spade connectors on the back and are a pretty standard diameter, switch-out is as simple as unscrewing the tightening ring and disconnecting the two spade connectors.

They also look nicer than the gaping hole of a cigarette lighter outlet. Thanks for giving me a different perspective to think about.
They are also the new Quick Charge 3.0 which will power newer charge pads if your device supports wireless charging. It's nice to just drop the phone on the pad without connecting anything up

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:06 AM   #11

I added one to my nightstand last year. Our trailer only had one on my wife's side.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210103_120221.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	66845
Old 01-16-2021, 01:38 PM   #12

Try these. I like them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZQJPJMB...p_mob_ap_share
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:29 PM   #13

Usb

I change several 120 volt receptacles out for the ones that have USB capability.
Lowes has a shallow plastic box for old construction work that can be put back in the wall. Also split the GFCI circuits to 2 breakers. The outside is separate that the inside. Bath and kitchen are inside.
steve.jurnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.jurnigan View Post
I change several 120 volt receptacles out for the ones that have USB capability.

Lowes has a shallow plastic box for old construction work that can be put back in the wall. Also split the GFCI circuits to 2 breakers. The outside is separate that the inside. Bath and kitchen are inside.
Splitting the GFCI is smart. I need to do that mod.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Splitting the GFCI is smart. I need to do that mod.
I’m a little confused, when you say splitting the GFI, are you talking about breaking off the side tabs of the GFI connections and separating the top and bottom plug receptacles from each other? If so are both top and bottom plug receptacles still an active GFI?

In a home This is common practice for outlets behind a bed and night stands. You separate the plug receptacles so one is a constant power outlet and the other is switched for a table lamp.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
I’m a little confused, when you say splitting the GFI, are you talking about breaking off the side tabs of the GFI connections and separating the top and bottom plug receptacles from each other? If so are both top and bottom plug receptacles still an active GFI?

In a home This is common practice for outlets behind a bed and night stands. You separate the plug receptacles so one is a constant power outlet and the other is switched for a table lamp.

No, I see this as installing another breaker in the panel and running a separate 15amp feed to the outdoor receptacle. We often use the kitchen outlet for the toaster, while I'm frying on the electric griddle on the outside plug. More than once we've tripped the breaker. Or my wife decides to blow dry her hair in the bathroom while someone is making toast for breakfast.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
No, I see this as installing another breaker in the panel and running a separate 15amp feed to the outdoor receptacle. We often use the kitchen outlet for the toaster, while I'm frying on the electric griddle on the outside plug. More than once we've tripped the breaker. Or my wife decides to blow dry her hair in the bathroom while someone is making toast for breakfast.
Gotcha, I installed 2 of these and installed a GFI in bath and kitchen. I run them off the 15 amp pedestal outlet when I’m plugged in to shore power. So I don’t trip the main pedestal breaker.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0825X3M7X...p_mob_ap_share
Old 01-20-2021, 11:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Gotcha, I installed 2 of these and installed a GFI in bath and kitchen. I run them off the 15 amp pedestal outlet when I’m plugged in to shore power. So I don’t trip the main pedestal breaker.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0825X3M7X...p_mob_ap_share
Now that is a pretty clever idea..well done Johnynorthland!
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:31 PM   #19

You can convert any 120 volt outlet except the ground fault type with a USB/120 volt outlet.
Attached Thumbnails
usb.JPG   619g3BnNvnL._SL1500_.jpg  
Old 01-23-2021, 10:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
Yes, those USB receptacles have built-in voltage reducers.

I'm a fan of putting in 12v cigarette lighter outlets. That way, I can buy USB cigarette lighter adapters that account for the newest USB technology. For example, in a few years when I have USB-C devices or devices that utilize charging technology that supersedes QC3.0, I can buy the newest USB cigarette lighter adapter instead of switching out the entire outlet.
I like the marine grade 12v cigarette lighter style receptacles. They seem to hold the male 12v plug a little more secure.
Another advantage to the cigarette lighter style receptacle is you can actually use it to power 12v devices if the need arises.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote