Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2018, 08:55 PM   #1

174bh winterizing question

Hello,

First post! The trailer is a 174h baja 2018. The dealer couldn't answer my question so im sure you guys will be more help. This is my first time winterizing my trailer. The fresh water tank is located at the front, and the pump is located at the back of the trailer. How do i winterize the feed line between the fresh water tank and the pump? Is it just drained by gravity when i open the valve for the fresh water tank? or do i need to add anti freeze in my fresh water tank and turn on the pump?

The trailer is equipped with a bypass and a short tube for the container of antifreeze, but i dont think this would send antifreeze back to the tank.

Another question regarding the sealant around the trailer. From the factory, they screw everything in that white sealant. Some places there is too much, some place not enough. Can i trim the excess off an add a proper bead of sealant? Can i use mineral spirits to clean before sealing? Im using proflex.

And last, the trailer is new, do I need to be concern about the roof at all? Are lap sealant deteriorating that fast?

Thanks!
2015 Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:46 AM   #2
Site Team

The water line should drain when you drain the tank. You could also run the pump for a few seconds once that tank is drained to insure that it is empty. You will not hurt anything by putting antifreeze in your fresh tank and pumping it through. Most owners don't do that however, but it will not do any harm other than creating another place to flush the antifreeze out of in the spring. Also do some research on using compressed air in your winterizing process in addition to or on place of the antifreeze. There are lots of threads on the subject for tons of informative reading.

I would certainly check the roof now. This will give you an opportunity to make sure that all of the areas are in good shape from the factory (sometimes things get missed).

Hope this helps.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:53 AM   #3

My FW pump has a cup strainer attached to the suction side. It broke and we didn't find it until start up after winter. So we now remove that plastic cup. Easy peasy.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:02 PM   #4

Great tips from both of you guys, very much appreciated! Will defenitely look at that strainer. I was planning on both blowing and antifreeze the line, just to be safe.

Thanaks again!
2015 Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote