Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2018, 06:17 PM   #41

We need a Moderator in here before this becomes about 20 pages of Trolling non-sense. Maybe if a moderator can move this thread out the ultralight area and in to the Jayco Mods section it will get a better reception lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20180324-170254.jpg  
Lord Humongous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:55 PM   #42

I had to unsubscribe to that thread, got tired of notifications constantly lol

One of my best boondocking “mods” yet besides the solar has been the 60 gallon Aquatank II and a 12v transfer pump. Makes it super easy to top off the camper if needed without pulling up stakes and hauling it somewhere. My 12v macerator pump and a 42 gallon tote makes it possible to dump tanks into tote up in truck bed, haul it to dump it somewhere, and not again need to pack up camp and leave.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:04 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
60 gallon Aquatank II and a 12v transfer pump. Makes it super easy to top off the camper if needed without pulling up stakes and hauling it somewhere. My 12v macerator pump and a 42 gallon tote makes it possible to dump tanks into tote up in truck bed, haul it to dump it somewhere, and not again need to pack up camp and leave.
Now that is a cool idea! Ruffly how long does that take to transfer from the tanks to truck? Also, will the bladder roll up into a fairly compact size if needed? Those things look like they can take a decent pounding. That is the biggest pet peeve I have about our 195, the tank size. We ended up moding a bike rack to hold a 15gal external tank. Even better though, it also holds our gravity chairs, which we had a tough time finding a good place to store during travel.
Imperfectgrowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #44

Here's some clearer pics of the closet shelf mod. I just "x" a set of bungee cords around the yoga mat protected tv and hook them into the d-rings. It's held up great! We don't use the tv often, but it's fun to have, but also kept nicely out of the way.
Attached Thumbnails
P6181296.jpg   P6181292.jpg   P6181303.jpg   P6181299.jpg  
Old 03-24-2018, 09:30 PM   #45

We removed the crap vent in the bathroom and installed a maxxair fan with rain control. It has a remote too, so it's great to control from the bed if needed. The rain sensor works great. We've left it open, gone driving and hiking, came back to a rainy camp site and had zero moisture in that bathroom and a closed vent. Also great for sucking the air out of the bathroom after a shower to keep all that moisture out. Also, in "suck" mode with the bedroom windows open provides a beautiful and quiet breeze while sleeping at night.
Used a heat gun to loosen the old dicor. After only a year that was a bitch to remove. Even with the plastic scraper I did have a couple of accidents where i dinged the rubber roof. Nothing a little fresh dicor couldn't fix though. Pried gently on the ceiling board to expose the 12v wire coming from the bath light and connected the fan there. Then tucked everything back in safely and looks factory installed. This project did take us about 4-5 hours in total.
Attached Thumbnails
P6181286.jpg   P6181285.jpg   P6181283.jpg   P6181275.jpg   P6171266.jpg  

Old 03-24-2018, 11:01 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfectgrowth View Post
Now that is a cool idea! Ruffly how long does that take to transfer from the tanks to truck? Also, will the bladder roll up into a fairly compact size if needed? Those things look like they can take a decent pounding. That is the biggest pet peeve I have about our 195, the tank size. We ended up moding a bike rack to hold a 15gal external tank. Even better though, it also holds our gravity chairs, which we had a tough time finding a good place to store during travel.
The 60 gallon bladder compresses down to roughly the size of an encyclopedia and weighs about as much as a roll of paper towels. So far it’s been bulletproof. I’ve used it in temps down to -15F and it been flawless. With my small pump it takes around 15-20 minutes to transfer water over, I think I want to get a faster pump and keep this one as a reserve. It’s a nice Wayne pump, just a bit small and slow for me when it’s cold outside.
As far as waste transfer, the macerator takes about 10 min to fill the 42 gallon tote. I run it off a small garden tractor battery with alligator clips. Makes for a nice portable kit. I just run a charger on the battery now and again to keep it topped off.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:35 AM   #47

Quote:
The 60 gallon bladder compresses down to roughly the size of an encyclopedia and weighs about as much as a roll of paper towels. So far it’s been bulletproof. I’ve used it in temps down to -15F and it been flawless. With my small pump it takes around 15-20 minutes to transfer water over, I think I want to get a faster pump and keep this one as a reserve. It’s a nice Wayne pump, just a bit small and slow for me when it’s cold outside.
As far as waste transfer, the macerator takes about 10 min to fill the 42 gallon tote. I run it off a small garden tractor battery with alligator clips. Makes for a nice portable kit. I just run a charger on the battery now and again to keep it topped off.
Thanks for the info. We'll have to add that to the list!
Old 03-25-2018, 07:24 AM   #48

Heres a pic of the jack-it bike rack in use on the front of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
20170910_074257.jpg  
Old 03-25-2018, 12:55 PM   #49

I was excited to get one of those but I think the mounting will be interfered with because of my battery box.
Attached Thumbnails
6C77B0F8-5B08-4E00-A549-1851A7DF1AA8.jpg  
Old 03-25-2018, 01:47 PM   #50

It probably will fit, we are also adding a box similar to what you have there (from harbor freight). The rack actually mounts directly over and in relationship with the front trailer jack (ours is manual). We don't have a pic right now because we took it off with the new coupler welding, but will send pics when we do.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:29 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfectgrowth View Post
It probably will fit, we are also adding a box similar to what you have there (from harbor freight). The rack actually mounts directly over and in relationship with the front trailer jack (ours is manual). We don't have a pic right now because we took it off with the new coupler welding, but will send pics when we do.
Appreciate it the response! I also got that box from harbor freight so it’s possibly the same model. The bottom seemed a bit weak for all the weight it was going to hold over that span so I braced across the A frame with steel angle front and back. The angle cradles the box and really made it strong.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:40 AM   #52

Good thing nobody's read my build thread....of course I do what I want with my money and don't really care if anybody takes issue with it .

I'd like to get a little more info on your axle upgrade, I may have missed it, did you mention a model number by chance?

Keep up the good work!

Thanks

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:22 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
Good thing nobody's read my build thread....of course I do what I want with my money and don't really care if anybody takes issue with it .

I'd like to get a little more info on your axle upgrade, I may have missed it, did you mention a model number by chance?

Keep up the good work!

Thanks
Your another bad influence, maybe we need an adventure trailer sub forum lol.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:27 PM   #54

Quote:
Your another bad influence, maybe we need an adventure trailer sub forum lol.
That sounds like a great idea!! I was thinking of buying a old military trailer off govplanet and building a real expo trailer but realised I've become too soft and will miss the comforts of an actual travel trailer so then this happened
Old 03-26-2018, 01:41 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post

Keep up the good work!

Thanks
Thanks man the Feedback is really appreciated!
The axle is the 4" lift Timbren axle-less trailer suspension rated at 5200lbs.

This is the part number ASR5200S03
And here is a direct link 5200lbs Axle-Less Trailer Suspension With 4″ Lift | Timbren Industries Inc. Suspension Products

They have 3500lb, 3500lb HD and 5200lb.

After talking with a timbren sales representative we decided on going with the 5200 for ride quality since we would've been right at the max loaded weight with the 3500s. I'm glad we did since the suspension actually squatted a little more than I thought it would even with the 5200 lb springs. An added bonus of the 5200lb spindles is the ability to run bigger brakes which I'm sure you know doesn't hurt with bigger tires. The down side would be no more 5 lug 15" wheels which I obviously wasn't worried about.

The 3500HD is basically built with the heavier materials the 5200 is made of but uses a spring rate for 3500lbs and 3500lb spindles.

*Edit*
just remembered you have a hummingbird. Since it has those open wheel fenders you could probably make some fender relocation brackets and run 40s on that thing lol.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:09 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Humongous View Post
That sounds like a great idea!! I was thinking of buying a old military trailer off govplanet and building a real expo trailer but realised I've become too soft and will miss the comforts of an actual travel trailer so then this happened
Yeah my expo trailer type plans went out the window after 2 little ones (my daughters) made it evident I needed a bit more creature comfort and room. I’ve shifted to more of a mobile H.Q. type setup with the trailer. I’m soon installing a base station hard wired radio into trailer and long whip antenna so it can talk to and act as a hub for my commercial two way handhelds. I’ll add a rack to the truck for my jerry cans (gas and water) and gear boxes etc. Kind of a watered down expo setup. Really got into the expo type wheeling after helping a friend build a rig that took the continental divide from North to South. I think a lot of expo type gear and tricks can be used in our trailer setups. With all the 12v gear out there now the sky and your battery capacity is the limit lol.
My ultimate goal is to be as self sufficient as possible and explore as far as the trailer will fit safely.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:01 PM   #57

Quote:
Yeah my expo trailer type plans went out the window after 2 little ones (my daughters) made it evident I needed a bit more creature comfort and room. I’ve shifted to more of a mobile H.Q. type setup with the trailer. I’m soon installing a base station hard wired radio into trailer and long whip antenna so it can talk to and act as a hub for my commercial two way handhelds. I’ll add a rack to the truck for my jerry cans (gas and water) and gear boxes etc. Kind of a watered down expo setup. Really got into the expo type wheeling after helping a friend build a rig that took the continental divide from North to South. I think a lot of expo type gear and tricks can be used in our trailer setups. With all the 12v gear out there now the sky and your battery capacity is the limit lol.
My ultimate goal is to be as self sufficient as possible and explore as far as the trailer will fit safely.
Yes the destination and exploration based 4x4 is allot more fun for me these days. I used to have a HUGE 86 solid axle swapped bronco on 42s. It was fun but couldn't drive it anywhere far and I worked on it more than I took out. Also done the ATV thing but definatley not my preferred method of travel outside of sand dunes.

Are you a HAM? I really want to see your radio setup you have planed. It sounds awesome! I've done all the study but have never bothered to get my license We do carry a little 2m 70cm handheld we could try for a repeater in an emergency but mostly just use CB for finding friends or traffic updates or horrible profanity lol
Old 03-26-2018, 05:53 PM   #58

The Taco does not come with towing mirrors and I'm not a big fan of the clip on kind so this was our solution for seeing behind us.
I used a license plate backup camera and a Wi-Fi video tranmistter send live video of what's behind the trailer to an IPad mini that we have on a little dash mount. The tranmistter gets power from the rear running lights and the camera is plugged into and powered from tranmistter so as long as the running lights are on the camera and transmitter have power. It only requires like 5ma so not much power draw.

Install was fairly easy. I used a voltmeter to find the running light wire then soldered a splice to the tranmistter. I stuffed the connections into the existing hole and affixed the transmitter with 3m outdoor tape. everything was sealed back up with butyl tape and silicone.

These parts are actually cheaper than buying clip on mirrors but I have had a couple issues. The transmitter claims it works with android but to this day there is no android support and the tranmistter only broadcast in low definition so no HD video. Overall it works to my liking and am happy with it's function.
Attached Thumbnails
20170729_143107.jpg   20170730_180354.jpg  
Old 03-26-2018, 07:23 PM   #59

Lord,
Are you on Tacoma world they have a great sub-forum called " Towing " with some of the best info I have seen. I have a 2014 Taco and you will see my truck and dog of course. I just got a 2018 GMC Canyon diesel for work and my gosh that thing gets 27 mpg and rides twice as good as the Taco. I am waiting for Toyota to import there diesel, it may be the first new truck that I would think about getting new. Its not like they would need to shake it out because it has been used in other countries for years.
CoCanCarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:27 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Humongous View Post
Yes the destination and exploration based 4x4 is allot more fun for me these days. I used to have a HUGE 86 solid axle swapped bronco on 42s. It was fun but couldn't drive it anywhere far and I worked on it more than I took out. Also done the ATV thing but definatley not my preferred method of travel outside of sand dunes.

Are you a HAM? I really want to see your radio setup you have planed. It sounds awesome! I've done all the study but have never bothered to get my license We do carry a little 2m 70cm handheld we could try for a repeater in an emergency but mostly just use CB for finding friends or traffic updates or horrible profanity lol
I’m not HAM yet but it’s the next phase. Like you, I’ve researched and studied but not taken the test. Right now we are using Kenwood commercial 2 way radios that were programmed by a local HAM guy. Unlike the cheapie radios, these get pretty good range (2-3 miles) and work through trees and structures. HAM is the obvious next step so Range would be unlimited.
Check out the guys at portableuniversalpower.com if you want to spend some hard earned money on some cool radio kits. I’m going to pull the trigger on one so my base camp radio can be portable too.