Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2020, 08:21 AM   #21

Our 16XRB is about 2900# dry, 3500# gross, 300# tongue. We tow without WD or sway bars on our 2014 5.3 Tahoe. Trailer tows very easily, rarely fish tails (generally only slight tendency when going down steep), no sway from trucks or wind, fells very steady and controlled. Have modified suspension with 2400# springs, 215/14 Endurance tires. Have 36,000+ miles with no significant problems or difficulties while towing.

Perhaps you could tow your rig around for a while to get a feel for what you would be most comfortable with.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:52 PM   #22

Doughboy and mutthauler, I’m very sure you are both right, that I would have been fine without it. But I did one trip (8hrs) without, and just finished another (3hrs) with the e2....I liked the way it felt with the hitch (plus the “reduced size” sumo springs I added between leafs and frame). Doughboy, thanks for the reminder on possible damage to frame if not correct adjusted. I took my time and feel confident I was very frugal in weight distributed. Front end wheel wells= Without trailer attached: 36.5”. With trailer, no wdh engaged: 37”. With wdh engaged: 36.75”

I changed my plan, and am not adding anything to tongue (one propane, one battery, nothing else). 10g fresh water just to use restroom on trip. Minimal gear in trailer (use truck bed).

Honestly it drove ok before...but now, awesome. 11.5mpg @ 68mph.

Going to cat scales this week to confirm but I feel like I’ve done ok. (Should of went pre-trip I know, but made sure to stay light anyways). Just me, wife, daughter, Aussie....and our gear is precious purchased ultralight backpacking stuff anyways (snow peak dishes, etc etc. )
jackman5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:55 PM   #23

Thanks for yalls input.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:57 PM   #24

Oh and I’m ridiculous about tires. When they hit 50% on any of my vehicles, new/best A waste maybe but friends and family love the tires i hand down. Ha.