Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-30-2018, 09:08 AM   #1

AC Power Requirements

I have a 25BH model and have a question about the AC. Does anyone know if it's plugged into a regular 20 amp outlet using an adapter, will the AC still function?

I would check this myself but it's currently in a tight storage unit so I can't open the slider to access the thermostat without a whole lot of work.

Thanks
Steve
wi-steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:37 AM   #2

Yep. We did it all the time years ago at rallies and when parked at home. Just don't try to run other high amp items.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:20 PM   #3

Look in your RV power panel. If the A/C is on a 15 or 20 amp breaker yo can safely run it on a 20 Amp circuit. Do not try to run anything else other than one or two light while the A/C is running.

A note of caution: If your home was wired by and licensed electrician it it highly likely the proper sized wire was used for the breakers and circuits. However, if your outlet was added and wired by a home handyman your 20 amp house circuit may or may not have been wired with #12 wire, which is the correct wire for a 20 amp circuit. If you aren't sure, get someone who can determine the actual wire size at your receptacle.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:50 AM   #4

As stated, yes. We ran the AC via a 20A circuit, I also discovered that a 15A would not support the AC. I was lucky in that we had a 20A outlet that I could reach with the power cable, my 30A extension and dog bone adapter. I’m not sure using a thinner extension would work.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I’m not sure using a thinner extension would work.
Most extension cords are not made with #12 wire which is what you need for 20 amp loads.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:43 PM   #6

worked great

Thanks for the replies! After spending two nights camping on the sugar river last weekend we moved it to Black Hawk Farms speedway for the day and plugged in to a 20 amp circuit with adapter to keep the AC running for some welcome relief from the sun. The fridge and TV were also able to run with no problems.

Taking a camper to the race track is definitely the way to serve as pit crew. Also, the Durango RT tow vehicle is a heck of a lot of fun on the race track during the "touring" break.
wi-steve is offline   Reply With Quote