Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2019, 11:55 AM   #1

Awning issues

Good Day all.

So we are probably the only people left in the RV world with an manual awning.

In the spring my wife and I purchased a Jay Feather Sport (226) it has a Carefree by Colorado Awning.

We have made about 7 weekend trips and never had any issues at all with the awning.

last weekend we were out and clearly it got very windy during the night, and the next morning it was starting to get windy again. So I decided to roll up the awning. I did my normal thing and then switched the lever for it to close....nothing. I did the lever thing a few times and nothing happened.

So then I got smart (not so much) and I thought that i would help it by twisting the tube by hand and maybe help it..it clicked while it was twisting so I thought I was doing a good thing..not so much I was actually rolling it up inside out.

So now at this point it wont roll out or in it is just stuck, I ended up twisting it by hand inside out all the way to the roof. The of course it would not lock because it was in "open" mode so i cable tied it to the bracket so it could be towed home.

questions.

1- I am sure that it was flapping in the wind the night before (wife and I sleep sound). Did the spring over extend and get stuck? I really don't know what caused it to not roll up in the first place.

2- What do I do now that i have it rolled up inside out. The awning is pretty much stuck rolled up about one inch from the roof. Do I just cut the thing off and start with a complete new awning??? Or is there a way to take the end caps of the tube and reset the spring inside?

thanks for your help

Paul
Paul Wirtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:05 PM   #2

The spring might have broken and unraveled. If you search awning replacement videos, you can see how to safely remove the cap in case the spring is still sprung. If it's not broken, you can wind it back up and put the cap back on.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:29 PM   #3

Ok. Thanks!
Paul Wirtz is offline   Reply With Quote