Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #1

Brand New White Hawk - Its Finally Home

Fresh from the factory, tows like a dream.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jayco 01.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	10108Click image for larger version

Name:	Jayco 02.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	10109Click image for larger version

Name:	Jayco 03.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	10110
Spent 4 hours at dealer. 1.5 hours with walk through, rest having a few items corrected and installing some items.

We had a battery disconnect switch installed and a Progressive EMS surge protector hardwired along with 2 friction sway control mounts to the A frame.

It rained most of the way home (160) miles, semi's did not seem to cause sway. This is one long trailer and it took a few switchback turns just to find a place near McDonalds...lol.

Love the fireplace with a remote control and 40' tv. Wife cant wait to start getting it stocked for our first trip which will be just a few miles from home for our shakedown.
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #2

Congratulations on the new trailer!
Old 09-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations. That's a big one :-)

Happy camping,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #4

Nice white hawk!!
Caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #5

Congrats on the new White Hawk. We love ours!

2012 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew 4X4, 3.5L Ecoboost, 3.73 (traded)
2005 Jayco 1207 (second PUP)
1976 Coleman Brandywine (first PUP)
katgar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #6

Holy Smoke....did it come with it's own ZIP code???...

NICE [ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #7

Looks awesome! Haven's seen that model before and impressed with the layout and look. Congrats!
Old 09-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #8

Hi stjohneyre,

great trailer....you're going to love it!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjohneyre View Post
Fresh from the factory, tows like a dream.
Attachment 10108Attachment 10109Attachment 10110
Spent 4 hours at dealer. 1.5 hours with walk through, rest having a few items corrected and installing some items.

We had a battery disconnect switch installed and a Progressive EMS surge protector hardwired along with 2 friction sway control mounts to the A frame.

It rained most of the way home (160) miles, semi's did not seem to cause sway. This is one long trailer and it took a few switchback turns just to find a place near McDonalds...lol.

Love the fireplace with a remote control and 40' tv. Wife cant wait to start getting it stocked for our first trip which will be just a few miles from home for our shakedown.

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
2013 Ram Laramie 3500 (Dually)
Curt Q20 hitch
Raugustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #9

Did you notice the need for extra wide turns? White Hawks pull great but I'm having to remind myself of the wider turn radius. Just addressed one of my few complaints with the WH, no light switch on the wall in the bedroom. Picked up a wireless switch [looks just like a regular one] that you can mount where ever that has a small adapter that I plugged into the 110 outlet on the side of the bed. A small lamp or wall sconce controlled by the switch will make it easier for the wife to light up the bedroom without having to try and reach the ceiling lite over the bed. You can also use the outlet on the wall for the 2nd tv by placing a small wall sconce next to it. May add another one by the entry door so we can turn on a light without having to go to the main control cabinet.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #10

Hi bassdogs,

your right about the wide turns...first time I took it to storage I clip the awning support arm on a bollard....jus a small scrap but what a wake call. You really have to watch those right hand turns. Your right about the missing wall switch in the bedroom...really never gave it a thought, just reach for the light in the ceiling. I did get 10 of the LED replacement light for the inside, they may be a little easier on the eyes being warm white...will install them next year. All-in-all we took it out four times this year and it's been a great unit. I have an Andersen WDH and it has been be a real pleasure to haul with, no noise, no sway, no fear of trucks and busses passing...the truck and trailer feel like one unit. I really am happy with the Andersen especially considering I'm pushing the limit on GVWR of the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Did you notice the need for extra wide turns? White Hawks pull great but I'm having to remind myself of the wider turn radius. Just addressed one of my few complaints with the WH, no light switch on the wall in the bedroom. Picked up a wireless switch [looks just like a regular one] that you can mount where ever that has a small adapter that I plugged into the 110 outlet on the side of the bed. A small lamp or wall sconce controlled by the switch will make it easier for the wife to light up the bedroom without having to try and reach the ceiling lite over the bed. You can also use the outlet on the wall for the 2nd tv by placing a small wall sconce next to it. May add another one by the entry door so we can turn on a light without having to go to the main control cabinet.

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
2013 Ram Laramie 3500 (Dually)
Curt Q20 hitch
Raugustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #11

OK I confess - pulled out of dealer with new TT, took a right hand turn at the first light....yep, up and over the curb. But to my credit, that's the only time (knock on wood). You really gotta think about your turns and be sure that the intersection and opposing traffic can allow for a wider turn but I used to drive a Kenworth with tandem trailer so I've some experience.

We have 2 sway control bars on it. It bellows at every turn but I'm ok with it. That may change over time and I'll have to look at my other options. Had to keep things within budget for now but keep things safe as well.

Right now my power cord is only coming out about 10 feet and is snagged inside the enclosed compartment. I had an EMS surge protector installed and that may have cramped up things in the compartment. I cannot get access to is while the slide is in and cannot open the slide until our shakedown trip next week. In the mean time, I have a 25' extension cord in use while plugged in at home.

Regarding the lack of lights in the bedroom, we typically use our cell phones as night lights. I really liked the Outbacks that have courtesy floor lights in their TT's. Here is something I'm thinking of eventually adding to each side of the bed. What do you think? Wiring should be easy as there is already a light directly above the bed but a bit out of reach of you are laying down so we would just put light switches on each side of the bed for each light.Click image for larger version

Name:	rv bed lights.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	10132
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
Site Team

Sweet rig....
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #13

Guess how I figured out the wide turn thing? Stopped at a State Park CG for an overnite on my way home from the pickup. Only 50 miles from home, but wanted to spend a night out so I could check out the inside. Ok up to that point, but the next am as I left the CG I stopped a couple miles down the road at a gas station. No one there, wide open lot, easy pull thru. Turned R off the road onto a 40 foot wide entry thinking I had plenty of room and booom! Drug the TT wheels over a 2' deep culvert [No **** idea why it was there] and the only thing that saved me was the wide stance of the axles. The first wheel dropped but the rear wheel was still up allowing the front to pop back up before it fell into the gap. Sides were dirt so no damage to the tires, wheels and everything was good to go but it was my wake up call. Will always remember that incident. Sometimes you luck out.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #14

I pulled my 40 foot trailer for the first time this summer, and I was pleasantly surprised a few times. People saw me coming and made room for me, at intersections, etc. I missed one turn, and this woman and her daughter were waving at me frantically, through their sun roof. They stopped the traffic behind them to let me in.

Gibby3275 is offline   Reply With Quote