Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #11

The 2014 185RB I purchased says it has an 8000 BTU unit in it on the options sheet for the trailer. I have not picked it up from the dealer yet so I can't look at it and verify. Maybe they have been listening to you guys that the 5000 is to small. I hope they have addressed the leaking thing also so I don't have to. Not sure how much I will use it here in Upstate New York anyway. I usually have not had a site with electric anyway in the past. When I pick it up on the 18th I will post my findings and the model of the AC unit maybe it has the same dimensions. Does anyone have any pictures of that gutter modification? I can't remember if I seen anything like that on the trailer.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #12

Honestly, have them run the trailer for a couple of hours before you pick it up, then check around the inside of the window (outside too). As far as a gutter, I have had great luck with just getting a thick piece of cotton rope and threading a thick wire through it. Wick the water away. So easy and works flawlessly.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #13

After reading this thread I went out and checked my 2013 184BH. There were no markings or stickers indicating the AC BTUs but the instruction manual (which is also for the 5000-8000 models so no help there either) had a warranty card with the model number. I had to google search the serial to find out that I do apparently have an 8000 btu unit. So far we haven't had very hot weather or any problems with our unit.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #14

Update on a/c problem. Shop said they would have to remove the a/c, order a part and would check to see if the unit was installed properly. We will have them run it awhile before we accept it. That will not take care of the fact that the 5000 btu unit is too small to cool the tt. Your right there is no info on unit or in the manufacture's manual about the btu's on the 2013. We found out the btu's by talking to Frigidaire. They are the ones that told us that the units were changed to 8000 btu mid year production because of the complains in the southern states. We talked to a couple of tech people at Jayco and they didn't address the issue of btu and wouldn't help us with any suggestions to modify to use a portable a/c. They didn't know any more than we did. The 2014 specs show that the changes made were decorative trim, logo and 8000 btu a/c. So the 2014 should be ok.
GBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #15

the 2013 jayco pamphlet I have on the slx models indicates they all now have 8000 btu units. if they're danby as was the 5k units, the danby website indicates the cabinet is larger in dimensions....
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBL 1206 View Post
the 2013 jayco pamphlet I have on the slx models indicates they all now have 8000 btu units. if they're danby as was the 5k units, the danby website indicates the cabinet is larger in dimensions....
That's wonderful that they have made improvements. I guess we were unlucky to get one of the ones manufactured before the improvements on the 2013. I guess we could just trade it in for a 2014.

Our first trip out we spent the day at Piney Campground at LBL. Can't wait to get the TT back from shop and try it again. We had a site right on the lake and it was so peaceful.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #17

Took a trip to Cages Bend, Tn (16 miles from home) for a trial run after having the a/c replaced. The a/c worked well in 85 degree weather. Too cold, even on low, at night. We did tilt the TT a little on the a/c side. No more water on bedding and no water draining on outside and running down window. We had such a great time we ended up spending two nights. Met a lot of nice people. After two months of problems, we are happy campers. The tips on this site have been very helpful.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #18

GBrown, glad too hear all went well. we spent 12 days at LBL Piney, Dogwood Loop in July. we have a 2012 mid yr production 184 w/the 5k a/c danby unit.
mid yr productions had the modification to correct the leaking problem that have been noted. our 5k unit worked just fine during the high 80 temps we had.
in fact, during the nights, we had too turn the settings way down. first morning at 4:30 am, the inside temp was 59 degrees, wife was "Not a Happy Camper" at that hour. I turned the a/c off. we learned to set the setting on low before calling it a night. most mornings we never turned the a/c on until late mid-mornings...
far as water dripping down the camper, I fabricated a removable gutter out of aluminum, painted it white, and it does the job well. barely visible/noticeable to the unsuspecting passerby. LBL, Piney will have it's annual dealers camper fair in Sept. dealers from the area bring in units for the public to walk through, ask questions, etc...best part, it's all free to the public, and it last two days. also included is the campers arts and craft fair...fun wk-end.
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #19

I've got a 2012 Swift 184bh and second summer owning it. Haven't had a problem with leaking A/C. Maby I got a well built model but very happy with this camper.

I have to agree the 5000btu is ok to keep you confortable but isn't cool inside. A 8000btu should be alot better. Can't complain, beats being hot and humide.
iLLBRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #20

2013 swift slx 165 rb

I too am having problems with the a/c in my tt. The 5000 btu just will not cut it here in Al. I camped last weekend and it was around 94 outside and 88 inside. I called my dealer (Burton Campers in Calera) they in turn called Jayco. According to them there is nothing they can do and did not offer the 8000 btu in this camper. I did however go to lowes and found a 8000 btu portable on sale. With the two a/c working it got downright cold. But I will prob. change to a larger wall unit. I saw someone said they changed theirs, does anyone have a link?

jeff brittain is offline   Reply With Quote