Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2019, 08:23 PM   #21

Mouse proof it with copper mesh before taking it out the first time.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:26 AM   #22

Toilet seat

As fulltimers we have done A LOT including the Maxair fan with remote! Great choice. But the plastic toilet seat was one of the first that had to go! 😂 Get it? The Slow closing hard seat that fit our toilet is soooo impressive. We show it off to all visitors! Can’t remember if it was Camco or Dometic but Amazon has them. Match the seat with your model number and you’ll be all set! Happy times while on the GO!
Grandpawlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:58 PM   #23

we luv our 195 rb! I bought a cutting board and my carpenter friend made wood brackets on 3 sides to fit over my stove for more counter space. I did the bed mods mentioned above, added 2 stabilizers in front of wheels, and my friend is going to install slide out drawers under table bench seats instead of lifting the cushions every time we want access. will be buying a tpms system (not sure which!)
Toyota Tacoma w/ tow pkg 195 rb
wife and Gracie the wonder dog
larryrebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:27 PM   #24

I wacked those razor edged cabinets above the bed with my head, arms, and hands.

Then I picked up some stick on foam rubber edging in the baby area of Target. Color is neutral and pain is gone!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:43 PM   #25

I forgot the cutting board. Made out of scrap maple to fit over the sink With little legs to hold it.
I am looking forward to getting the unit back next week.. So far we have not been camping since March. Its been in the shop because it tangled with a canoe trailer and various holes got punched in it.. It slid on the ice.. Need to add chains when we leave our driveway in the winter on a sidehill

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:35 PM   #26

Do you hav pics of how you partitioned your under bed storage?

Cheers
viclava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:55 PM   #27

[QUOTE=RogerR;734087]I wanted to take out the dinette and put in two computer chairs but DW suggested we might need the bed function and as there is little other space we needed the storage.

So she made extra thick seating cushions which help, ....

Wondering how the cushions are holding up ... if they are doing well, I would be grateful for some advice from your DW on how to make them, what to use, etc. I have zero skills in this area but could purchase the supplies and have them made. I just don't really know where to start! Thanks in advance!
Kate Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:23 AM   #28

also for a new 195....install stronger hinges on bed lift and install hydraulic bed lifters on the bed to make it easier to lift.install swing bracket for TV on the sink side of the shelves to mount the TV. thread a cable tv cord thru the power plug hole into the hole behind the kitchen sink. you will have cable at some locations. have FUN and figure out what suits your needs after your first trip out
Old 07-21-2019, 10:40 PM   #29

Bed and under bed storage modification tutorial and pics

Looking for a good tutorial on the bed and under bed storage modifications tutorial with pictures. I jst picked up a 15 195RB and want to do the bed mod as well.

Cheers
Old 07-22-2019, 06:49 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenelz View Post
First thing I did was to lift the bed, and section off the "pass through storage" That way you can use the inside area for bed linen, games, and cleaner stuff.

And the pass through which is accessible from the outside can be used for dirty stuff like trailer jack blocks, water hoses, extension cords, charcoal, gas grills, etc.
This is a must. Sectioning it off will also support the bed if done right.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:56 AM   #31

195rb mods

Yes, that is what I’m talking about, but am hoping someone on the forum has s write up with pics of what they did.
Cheers
Old 07-22-2019, 10:05 AM   #32

Smile You might not need all that space ....

We are weekend users but honestly, I have never needed or wanted that space under the bed for everyday use or even "every trip" use. After a few trips, you'll find what you need is pretty minimal. Weight is always a concern--not what you can tow, but what the the trailer can handle. I would suggest getting a couple of large bins with tight fitting lids and just keep them in your tow vehicle. That way it's easy to take them out at home and change out the contents as the trip's itinerary demands. For us, it's mostly emergency stuff--extra sleeping bag/pillows/blanket; back up supplies of paper towels, t.p.; maybe a small appliance if the weekend menu calls for a crockpot or something. Rain gear if we don't trust the weather forecast. The bins could also be stored under the bed through the hatch. We keep all our tools, chocks, etc. in a black plastic bin locker that fits perfectly through the hatch door and can be pulled out and left on the ground, tucked under the trailer. Hoses are kept in trash bags. A grabber of some sort makes it easy to pull out what we need. Anyway, that's how we travel light. And, as I posted earlier on this thread, one time I had to crawl through the hatch door, and up under the bed and out into the interior to open a stuck front door. That has kept me from ever blocking that passageway!
Kate Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:18 PM   #33

We did not section off.. We use the outside access for chairs etc
But accessing the inside is essential as we take 10 day canoe trips on our trailer trips too and there are varying amounts and types of containers.. like bear barrels and york boxes and 115 liter dry bags paddles and pfds etc.. Its nice to access from the inside because our shakedown day before remote canoe trips its often raining..
It all depends on your camp style whether to section or not.. We did reinforce the bed though.. Without some sort of reinforcement it sags over time.

We have too much storage in the supplied cabinets for our needs.. If you can't store all your clean stuff above it makes sense to have a clean section below.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:25 PM   #34

We just replaced our mattress in a 2018 Hummingbird 17FD. The one that came with the trailer was okay, but we replaced it with a natural latex mattress. Way more comfy and much better sleep. We bought it from Dreamfoam Bedding. The Aspen 10" Latex RV mattress. About $550 delivered. Easy to set up.
bleckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:42 PM   #35

luvbeagl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmo View Post
We replaced the single step entry with a double step. And, added the larger hand hold that folds in. Much better access in and out. Plus one on the medicine cabinet. A very easy and welcome addition to the bathroom. Our tires lasted only 3 years before the steel belts started to show. We are upgrading to load D before this season. Added a battery disconnect switch to avoid a dead battery after it sits for 4 days unplugged. I don't think you need a second propane tank unless you run your furnace a lot. Also a nice addition was mounting front stabilizer jacks.

Kozmo what steps did you use to replace the single step on your camper? My husband and I are looking to change ours and are looking at the elkhart brand.Thanks for any help you have.
luvbeagl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:03 PM   #36

I installed lifters on my bed to make it easier to lift, installed stabilizing jacks forward to my wheels to help steady it while parked, installed swing arm for tv on cabinets above counter to sink, made a cover for my stove out of a cutting board for more counter space, installed a vent cove for bathroom vent, and then had fun! we have traveled up and down mountains and all around the country with more to do
2017 195rb
Toyota Tacoma 4wd crerw cab with tow pkg
Old 09-21-2019, 08:57 PM   #37

Kozmo, when you installed the assistance handle by the door did the screws go through or did you have to use bolts to hold it on? Also I am interested on any extra work to go to a double step vs. standard single. Knee replacements just don't like to bend enough.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:12 AM   #38

Hello. I've been asked a couple of questions about my upgrades to our 195RB.

1. Assistance handle: It attached with long wood screws. They did not go all the way through. It is fairly sturdy and it works great. I screwed the top support right above the top of the existing handle.

2. Double steps: This was a little more work but well worth it. I guess it might depend on the company and how the holes are predrilled for the mounting bracket. Mine says Lippert and I needed to drill new holes in the bracket to match what is on the trailer. So much easier to get in and out of the trailer.

I hope this helps. We are leaving today for 3 nights at Yankee Springs State Park in Michigan.
Kozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:38 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryrebos View Post
I installed lifters on my bed to make it easier to lift, installed stabilizing jacks forward to my wheels to help steady it while parked, installed swing arm for tv on cabinets above counter to sink, made a cover for my stove out of a cutting board for more counter space, installed a vent cove for bathroom vent, and then had fun! we have traveled up and down mountains and all around the country with more to do
2017 195rb
Toyota Tacoma 4wd crerw cab with tow pkg
LarryRebos do you happen to have any pictures of your bed setup? I have the gas lift supports and hardware and I'm about ready to do this mod. Seeing how it has already been done might speed up my process a bit. Thanks!
MrKABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:05 AM   #40

Don't forget the wet bolt kit.

I scraped all the Dicor off my roof seams with a plastic putty knife (easy to do) and replaced it with Eternabond tape.

Drill a hole in the foot end of the bed and run a short piece of rope through it. Knot both ends. Much easier to raise the bed by pulling on the rope.

The "veneer" on the faux wood surfaces is very thin, and can quickly get beat up at foot height. I got a roll of foam at Walmart that's made for baby-proofing a house. It can be used to cover all the corners down low where you'll kick them. Attaches with double sided tape. It's brown, so you hardly notice it.

Install brass 90 degree angles on exterior city water hookup and black water flush so you don't wear out the cheap plastic fittings. Camco.

Put together a flat tire kit. Our's has an inexpensive torque wrench to break the lug nuts loose, and tighten them to spec. And, a bottle jack to raise the trailer. Try your kit in the driveway before you go anywhere.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote